Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 11:54 PM

404 posts, read 712,000 times

Advertisements

So I just found out that during a private party vehicle sale, the state uses something called Standard Presumptive Value *SPV* to determine a price, even if the seller sold the car for much less than its supposed value.

so, say you find a good used car that someone is selling like $1000 cheaper than the kbb price (or SPV price) in this case. The state makes you pay 80% of the SPV price.

this is total bs for a couple reasons.

1) obviously it's lame because you are paying a higher amount of tax, regardless of the amount of the transaction.
2) it was already taxed when sold as new! and the 2nd, 3rd, 4th owners etc all have to pay tax on the same item. Re-tax? How is that legal?

So Texans love to mention that there is no state income tax, which is rad... but they get people in the ridiculous property taxes and stuff like this. Its like the state is saying.. come live and work here, but avoid buying a used car or a house.

I suspect the only reason there is no state income tax is due to the oil industry

Last edited by Bo; 08-22-2011 at 07:21 AM.. Reason: Moved from the Austin forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 12:03 AM

242 posts, read 493,157 times
Some states have a use tax which means you pay a tax on your car EVERY YEAR.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:09 AM

404 posts, read 712,000 times
The Texas State Senate - Jeff Wentworth: SD 25 - News Release

"Changing the law is expected to bring in approximately $35 million annually, which will be used to fund public education."

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they just cut a few hundred teachers in Round Rock?

Someone told me today that Rick Perrys house is rented for $10,000 month and paid for by State Taxpayers.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:38 AM

574 posts, read 1,639,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredding_Gnar78 View Post
I suspect the only reason there is no state income tax is due to the oil industry
The only reason there is no state income tax is that Texas makes it up on all of the other taxes they use to rape the residents here! Don't forget the 8.25% sales tax which they will eventually get around to raising.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:44 AM

574 posts, read 1,639,701 times
Quote:
Someone told me today that Rick Perrys house is rented for $10,000 month and paid for by State Taxpayers.
Does that include the personal Chef's, maintenance, personal Doo worker (hair stylist), security, etc., etc.? And now how much is it going to cost the Texas taxpayers to help Gooberner Perry run for President?? Before anyone attacks that statement consider this that Perry will be out and around the country campaigning while he is still being paid as Gooberner of Texas. Therefore the taxpayers will be paying his salary and all of his normal Gooberner expenses while he is doing nothing for his elected position. Perry did state he will not be resigning as Gooberner while he pursues the election.

WAKE UP TEXANS!! Send a message out to the DooMan that he needs to resign if he plans to run for president.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:32 AM

732 posts, read 2,125,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbiggs View Post
The only reason there is no state income tax is that Texas makes it up on all of the other taxes they use to rape the residents here! Don't forget the 8.25% sales tax which they will eventually get around to raising.
Exactly. Every time I turn around I am paying another tax at a high percentage. Just not income tax but that hurts me more because I don't make much. An income tax with lower taxes on everything else would put less of a strain on me.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:43 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
Quote:
1) obviously it's lame because you are paying a higher amount of tax, regardless of the amount of the transaction.
2) it was already taxed when sold as new! and the 2nd, 3rd, 4th owners etc all have to pay tax on the same item. Re-tax? How is that legal?

1) People were cheating the system. Now everyone pays.

2) You're still buying a good, which is subject to tax. Anything re-sold is taxed....movies, CD's, clothes, etc. Go into any resale shop and buy something and you'll pay sales tax on it. It's called "sales tax" because they are taxing the sale.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:49 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbiggs View Post
Does that include the personal Chef's, maintenance, personal Doo worker (hair stylist), security, etc., etc.? And now how much is it going to cost the Texas taxpayers to help Gooberner Perry run for President?? Before anyone attacks that statement consider this that Perry will be out and around the country campaigning while he is still being paid as Gooberner of Texas. Therefore the taxpayers will be paying his salary and all of his normal Gooberner expenses while he is doing nothing for his elected position. Perry did state he will not be resigning as Gooberner while he pursues the election.

WAKE UP TEXANS!! Send a message out to the DooMan that he needs to resign if he plans to run for president.
Dubya did the same thing. He didn't resign until after he was elected president. Hell he even skipped out on his constituents after the Fort Worth tornado because he was busy at a presidential fundraiser. Then-Lieutenant Governor Perry toured the damage and met with the families of the victims instead.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:17 AM

474 posts, read 905,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinking View Post
Exactly. Every time I turn around I am paying another tax at a high percentage. Just not income tax but that hurts me more because I don't make much. An income tax with lower taxes on everything else would put less of a strain on me.
It's "all abouit me" isn't it? Texas should change its tax structure for you!

Old 08-22-2011, 08:23 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
So I just found out that during a private party vehicle sale, the state uses something called Standard Presumptive Value *SPV* to determine a price, even if the seller sold the car for much less than its supposed value.

so, say you find a good used car that someone is selling like $1000 cheaper than the kbb price (or SPV price) in this case. The state makes you pay 80% of the SPV price.

this is total bs for a couple reasons.

So Texans love to mention that there is no state income tax, which is rad... but they get people in the ridiculous property taxes and stuff like this. Its like the state is saying.. come live and work here, but avoid buying a used car or a house.

It isn't total BS, regardless of whether you like it or not. As said already, if you buy used goods, they are usually taxed. Buy a used car from a dealer, and you pay sales tax. The law on a private party sale prevents people from reporting a sale price lower than actual to avoid payig taxes. If you bought a $10,000 vehicle from a friend, who agreed to only report it as a $5,000 sale (even though you paid him $10,000), you are cheating.

BTW - I think many states tax used cars like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas