Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 12:29 AM

715 posts, read 1,356,330 times

Advertisements

The one closest to us in new braunfels, college station, and kerrville are the victims this time. The ones in new braunfels and college station will just be leased out and the one in kerville will be converted to the towns 2nd heb. Boy, that company does stop wanting to control the whole market! No kidding!!

Last edited by Bo; 08-22-2011 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: Moved from San Antonio forum, since the 3 stores are more than 1 county away from San Antonio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 05:35 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,789,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davi78239 View Post
The one closest to us in new braunfels, college station, and kerrville are the victims this time. The ones in new braunfels and college station will just be leased out and the one in kerville will be converted to the towns 2nd heb. Boy, that company does stop wanting to control the whole market! No kidding!!
It's a business decision, not waking up and finding your car on blocks.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:44 AM

2,216 posts, read 4,539,934 times
don't kid yourself and think they havent already done this in Dallas either.....

Old 08-22-2011, 05:45 AM

2,216 posts, read 4,539,934 times
I don't like it though. I'm an Albertsons fan and I hate that the choices here are so slim.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:06 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,829,912 times
I'm not an Albertsons fan - but I still don't like it. Obviously, it was a business decision on Albertsons part - but it stinks that they removed themselves from the market. Stinks, too, that HEB would buy 'em and shut them down...more jobs being lost in an already tight market!

Old 08-22-2011, 06:48 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,191,386 times
Wish there was some type of competition for HEB....

Old 08-22-2011, 08:36 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,983,056 times
Albertsons, K-Mart, Borders, Chess King (remember those?!? )...it's a competitive market out there and if retail chains can't compete, they go under.

And the list is bigger than most of us realize!

I personally would prefer more choices, but since the vast majority of the general public shops at Walmart and HEB, or online, there really isn't much hope for the underdogs, is there?

Cheers! M2

Old 08-22-2011, 08:41 AM

490 posts, read 1,094,565 times
What makes you believe HEB "bought them out and shut them down"?

To me, it sounds like Albertsons closed three more stores. It sounds as if HEB happened to lease the space of the former Albertsons in Kerrville, just as HEB did with former spots in San Antonio.

They didn't buy them, they just happened to recongize it was a good business decision to put a grocery store in a space that used to house a grocery store.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:31 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,983,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr57001 View Post
What makes you believe HEB "bought them out and shut them down"?

To me, it sounds like Albertsons closed three more stores. It sounds as if HEB happened to lease the space of the former Albertsons in Kerrville, just as HEB did with former spots in San Antonio.

They didn't buy them, they just happened to recongize it was a good business decision to put a grocery store in a space that used to house a grocery store.
Good points, Albertson's has been tanking in this area and just because HEB is taking over the property doesn't mean the latter was responsibile for the former's demise!

I think people would be complaining even more if Albertson's closed and there was no alternative. So instead of painting HEB as the Darth Vader of grocery stores in this area, maybe folks should be grateful that they don't have to drive an additional 20 miles away to do their shopping!

By the way, here is the press release...

Quote:
H-E-B buys three Albertsons LLC stores

August 22, 2011 | By Allison Cerra

SAN ANTONIO — H-E-B has acquired three Texas-based Albertsons LLC stores.

The Albertsons locations in College Station, Kerrville and New Braunfels will close in October. The Kerrville location, a 49,000-sq.-ft. store, will be remodeled and converted into an H-E-B, while the other two properties will be made available for lease, as the company opened new stores in the College Station and New Braunfels last year. As part of the transition, Albertsons pharmacy customers will be transferred to H-E-B, while current employees are being offered the opportunity to interview for positions at H-E-B.

"We view these acquisitions as an opportunity to expand the retail experience in these communities and offer new jobs," H-E-B group VP of public affairs and diversity Winell Herron said.
It sounds like HEB is trying to do right by all the former Albertson's employees!

Cheers! M2

Old 08-22-2011, 09:55 AM

36 posts, read 155,202 times
I didn't even realize there were still other grocery chains aside from HEB. They seem to own everything out here in Texas with the exception of the smaller organic chains. I have never lived anywhere like this before where one grocery chain owns it all. Everywhere else we had a Giant, Safeway, Harris Teeter. It would be like McDonald's owning all fast food and nothing else. Kind of strange!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas