Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 10:05 AM

578 posts, read 1,227,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
That's correct. Autumn is traditionally known as the wildfire season.
The winter months are more prone for wildfires in Texas. Normally our driest period, and freezes zap vegitation that is produce from normally wet months of September and October.

Here is a good article, and a point I have been trying to drive home on this board for the past few weeks: Texas was warned about risk of building in backcountry (http://mo.statesman.com/news/local/texas-was-warned-about-risk-of-building-in-1838723.html - broken link)

If you own land, or live in a urban/wildland type area, you need to be proactive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 11:05 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,071,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by die Eichkatze View Post
The winter months are more prone for wildfires in Texas. Normally our driest period, and freezes zap vegitation that is produce from normally wet months of September and October.

Here is a good article, and a point I have been trying to drive home on this board for the past few weeks: Texas was warned about risk of building in backcountry (http://mo.statesman.com/news/local/texas-was-warned-about-risk-of-building-in-1838723.html - broken link)

If you own land, or live in a urban/wildland type area, you need to be proactive.
Sorry, I was mistaken in my reply to capcat. I recently read the comment about autumn wildfires online at another site.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:36 AM

578 posts, read 1,227,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
Sorry, I was mistaken in my reply to capcat. I recently read the comment about autumn wildfires online at another site.
Well at this point with these conditions, I think we are in a perpetual wildfire season. We can throw out any sense of normalcy through AT LEAST next spring.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:48 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,263,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by die Eichkatze View Post
Well at this point with these conditions, I think we are in a perpetual wildfire season. We can throw out any sense of normalcy through AT LEAST next spring.
Spring for sure.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:26 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Yes ma'am, We're probably going to head back sometime this week. The temp really isn't a big issue for us as much as the allergies. I think these fires are playing hell with my wife and son and their allergies.
One of my nephews is really suffering as well, but he's right in the middle of where a fire broke out on Thursday burning over 580 acres and destroying nine homes and thirty-four structures. It's tough. Pets died, but thankfully, no human life was lost. A lady from my church barely made it to safety, driving through thick smoke and flames all around. God certainly protected her and she's pushing 80.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:16 PM

6,689 posts, read 9,935,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
It's severe plenty enough in the DFW area. Some people live in their own world and unless something directly penetrates their own little bubble, they carry on as if everything is the norm. I've never understood how some people can be so unaware. You think that even if they lived inner city, mostly concrete surroundings, they never listened to the news, etc. they would still have to know IT HASN'T RAINED ENOUGH FOR SQUAT IN FOREVER.

You would be surprised though at the people who are not understanding the severity of this drought. Not only is Texas actually burning up, people losing their homes, some losing their lives, landscapes forever changed, this drought is going to have a long term effect on Texas. Ranchers, farmers going bankrupt. Sale barns are going to have a tough time staying in business next year due to the fact there won't be many animals to sell. Small companies such as small engine sales (lawnmowers, etc.) and repairs, tractors sales and repairs, hay guys losing their equipment because they can't make their payments, yard maintenance companies, good Lord, the list goes on of people that are going belly up due to this drought.

Texas is experiencing a terrible disaster and there's no good news in sight.
Exactly!!!!!!!! I know so many people that act like that.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Why aren't they aware of it?
Because they don't watch the news or they just don't care enough to listen.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
It's Dallas what do you expect?
It's not just Dallas. It's people like that all over the USA.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:23 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Because they don't watch the news or they just don't care enough to listen.

I get it!!

Old 09-12-2011, 06:26 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,974,466 times
Question, don't know if anyone here can answer: what happens if land on which natural gas wells have been drilled (through the shale "fragging" technology) gets engulfed in the wildfires?

I have a highly personal interest in this question, involving land and gas wells in North Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas