Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 03:22 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,762,286 times

Advertisements

The Science Academy (9-12) in Mercedes is excellent! It ranks as one of the top high schools in the nation every year. They pull students from the surrounding communities, but I'm not sure what the entrance requirements are. I'm from Harlingen ... went to school there for jr high and high school. That was back when there was only one high school, there's two now. My niece and nephew went through school in the San Benito public school system. They did well, both went to college when most of the students don't. It's a rough environment.

McAllen also has some pockets of good schools, especially the Sharyland area. Stay away from Donna schools.

b
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 03:54 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
http://scitech.stisd.net/studentresources/admissions.htm (broken link) is a link to the application to Science Academy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulf5driver View Post
The Science Academy (9-12) in Mercedes is excellent! It ranks as one of the top high schools in the nation every year. They pull students from the surrounding communities, but I'm not sure what the entrance requirements are. I'm from Harlingen ... went to school there for jr high and high school. That was back when there was only one high school, there's two now. My niece and nephew went through school in the San Benito public school system. They did well, both went to college when most of the students don't. It's a rough environment.

McAllen also has some pockets of good schools, especially the Sharyland area. Stay away from Donna schools.

b

Old 05-24-2007, 04:54 PM

2 posts, read 9,026 times
i am also thinking of moving to browsville but i have a panic disorder when it comes to driving but i want to be close to tamplicas where my future husband is

Old 05-24-2007, 05:27 PM
RGV

570 posts, read 3,221,715 times
Did you mean Tampico, Mex. Hmmm, that's about six hours drive south from Brownsville. Not very close.

Also, Tampico has direct flights to Houston. Much more convinient. I've made that six hour drive many times; interesting, but no good on the car.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:15 PM

52 posts, read 195,463 times
Moved here to the Valley 3 years ago from Tennessee. Brownsville is just like and other city, it has its good parts and bad parts. Compare it to Memphis, Tn. Brownsville is alot safer. Personally, I love it down here. And the thing about Brownsville and all of the lower valley, you don't have to live there to work there. Theres Port Isabel, South Padre Island, Los Fresnos, San Benito, and Harlingen all within about 30 minutes or less (depending on construction). Farther out you've got LaFeria, Mercedes, and Weslaco. And don't forget about the smaller towns like Olmito, Rancho Viejo, Rio Hondo, Bayview, and Primera. I live and work in San Benito. We have one guy that works there that lives in Brownsville, and one guy that works there that lives in Weslaco. The only thing that has a down side down here to me is all the construction and the driving. People always seem to be in a hurry, and are not very respectful when their driving. You could probably see the same person in a store or something and they would be nice as they could be, but when they are driving, they're a totally different person. Anyway, thats my 2 cents worth. Thanks.

Old 05-26-2007, 04:32 PM

2 posts, read 9,026 times
no i meant tamplicas its right there on the border of texas and mexico close to the gulf of mexico thats why i want to move to brownsville so when my kids say they want their farther i can call the family and tell them to have him there at the border on like a friday

Old 05-09-2008, 01:19 PM

18 posts, read 85,193 times
Being that is is mostly Hispanic in Brownsville, how are the people towards Black people?

Old 05-09-2008, 05:38 PM

17 posts, read 107,010 times
Default Moving to Brownsville

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneangel View Post
To Development:

All of your information is very useful. It's nice to know of all the cultural activities and things for children to do. We're thinking of moving to Brownsville but are confused as to whether McAllen is better. What's your take on that, Brownsville vs. McAllen?

My husband and I are teachers, so we'd be looking for jobs in the public school system. Which of the 2 has the best schools overall?
STAY AWAY FROM BROWNSVILLE!
McAllen is the better place to choose!

Old 05-09-2008, 07:08 PM
RGV

570 posts, read 3,221,715 times
So much for me defending McAllen on other threads.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:49 PM

5 posts, read 26,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max77 View Post
Hi
Thanks for your answer, but I want to know how life in Brownsville is, where I will live with my family. I wonder if there are good private schools, activities for the kids, and things to do in the area.
Thanks,
MAX77

i was born in the heart of brownsville right on southmost st not a hospital i was born in the hood i know how life is in other places ive been to n.c ohio nebraska georgia virginia ..and a whole lot of others trust me i love brownsville i love the valley it has a taste of a bigass city but yet it has its bad hoods and its gorgeous neighborhoods..when you live in the valley you fel special just knowing you live in a place that doesnt really depend on the gov't cuz we take care of our own down here you should really look more into brownsville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas