Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 08:03 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,432,310 times

Advertisements

Even brown rice, while more expensive than white, is cheap. I love black beans and brown rice with cilantro. A very inexpensive and healthy meal.

You can buy frozen vegetables for often less than a dollar a bag.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:30 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,694,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesouthwest View Post
Lots of hoodrats in Htown always offer to buy me $10.00 worth of food at the convenience store for "bus fare".

Yeah- "bus fare"... just like they need "gas money" for their car that's out of sight.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:38 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,072,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smtimelevi View Post
Problem isn't entitlements, it's the whole damn system. No government should be so involved so much in people's lives.
Agreed. Next thing you know, the government will be controlling the air we breathe. Oh, wait a minute - they already do that too, don't they?

Old 09-14-2011, 10:36 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,976,309 times
What is this to do with Texas exactly?

Old 09-14-2011, 11:44 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,101,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
What is this to do with Texas exactly?
AFAIK the rules for the food stamp program are different in individual states. If not, then you're correct that this is off topic here.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:37 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,976,309 times
It appears to me that the food stamp program is almost entirely federally controlled, even though the individual states determine eligibility. Actually, it would seem more that the states certify eligibility according to federal criteria. I'm not sure the states have signficant input into the mechanics of the program. See here: Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-14-2011, 05:50 PM

89 posts, read 185,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
Agreed. Next thing you know, the government will be controlling the air we breathe. Oh, wait a minute - they already do that too, don't they?

Not completely but they're givin it hell. Emissions test for vehicles, spare the air days, no burn etc. I completely understand not wanting to breathe filthy smog air but the system is so screwed up. In many states there are emissions per counties,in some states the whole populous is forced to do this. Funny thing is diesels are exempt. Ever seen the plume of smoke one lets out, it way more than my vehicle.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:59 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,101,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
It appears to me that the food stamp program is almost entirely federally controlled, even though the individual states determine eligibility. Actually, it would seem more that the states certify eligibility according to federal criteria. I'm not sure the states have signficant input into the mechanics of the program. See here: Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In the article at your link is this quote which muddies the water.

Quote:
Unlike other federal programs that provide food subsidies, SNAP does not have nutritional standards. In October 2010, New York City proposed excluding sweetened beverages from the program, but federal officials rejected the pilot program.
So it appears to be possible for cities and states to propose local nutrition rules, subject to Federal approval. Since Texas could propose a variation from the Federal program, that makes it on-topic.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I just heard a news story recently that stated it was the snack food and beverage lobby that got these guidelines reversed. They didn't want the stigma of having their products officially labeled as "junk food" and their generous donations made legislators happy to oblige their request to remove the label and the restriction.

It'll take more than wishing and complaining to legislators to get that switched back in Texas.

There's also the issue of many people without transportation whose only walking distance food shopping option is places that only sell the food and drink items you listed. People in that situation can't find fresh produce within walking distance.
Don't kid yourself because the looby on food stams is huge. It amean billions for the inductry. The reaso they stopped using stmps is that they became like money even being used to buy drugs.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:23 AM

568 posts, read 961,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
Use it to pay your Longhorn Network bill.
???? I am most definitely not a Longhorn fan. You must hve been looking in the mirror.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas