Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 09:46 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,274,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That's not true at all, that's a myth among the uneducated food stamp crowd that a $4 bag of potato chips is cheaper than a $3 bag of raw potatoes or that a $1.50 candy bar is cheaper than a $1 bag of carrots. Or that a $4 6-pack of soft drinks is cheaper than a $3 bottle of orange juice.

Empty calories are just empty calories. It's not cheaper to buy all non-nutritious food and let your body crave nutrition.
No kidding. I hear this all the time, "I can't afford to eat healthy." Another example is a huge box of old-fashioned oats (30 servings) is like $3.00, but people will pay more for that sugary crap. A bag of brown rice is inexpensive and lasts forever. A bag of split peas (or lentils, black beans, pinto bean, et al) is so cheap and the soup it makes is so healthy and will feed many. People have no common sense. No matter what one says, they just don't grasp the concept of eating inexpensively and healthy. Eggs ... cheap and a dozen makes 12 meals for one person. P.S. Why would anyone who is "broke" drink soda anyway? That stuff is poison with sugar or with aspartame.

Last edited by Canine*Castle; 10-30-2011 at 09:55 AM..

Old 10-30-2011, 11:32 AM

679 posts, read 1,802,203 times
Is there something wrong with me that I don't care? That I feel like it's none of my business? Yes, welfare in the US needs to be revamped but in the meantime, I have far more important things to worry about than what car people drive and what their grocery list looks like.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:35 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,274,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamon_toast View Post
Is there something wrong with me that I don't care? That I feel like it's none of my business? Yes, welfare in the US needs to be revamped but in the meantime, I have far more important things to worry about than what car people drive and what their grocery list looks like.
I do care that people take advantage of the system and when they whine and fuss about not being able to afford to eat well, it's disheartening. Now when it comes to cars, I don't give a flip either, but this thread was about food stamps and the like.

We all have far more things to worry about, but I decided to chill for a bit and I happened to comment on this forum. Why did you read it if you don't care? I by-pass what doesn't interest me, such as the Cowboys, the Rangers, etc.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:54 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Quote:
It's not about what's important; it's about what's fair. People are taking advantage of the system and screwing us all over. I'm a struggling college student trying to make it; yet people who do nothing with their lives are living lavishly driving fancy cars and rocking the newest gear; while me and the many other taxpayers are working our asses off to support them.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:24 PM

679 posts, read 1,802,203 times
Giraffe, Be happy you have a bright future and that hopefully you won't ever have to rely on food stamps. Try not to worry about everyone else. There will always be people who abuse the system, there will always be government programs you are helping to fund that you don't agree with. Life isn't always fair, I can tell you that from experience.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:48 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Quote:
Giraffe, Be happy you have a bright future and that hopefully you won't ever have to rely on food stamps. Try not to worry about everyone else. There will always be people who abuse the system, there will always be government programs you are helping to fund that you don't agree with. Life isn't always fair, I can tell you that from experience.
Ain't that the truth!

Old 11-08-2011, 11:06 AM

3 posts, read 19,379 times
Default My Experience

There have been changes to recieving and continuing to recieve these benefits. They now require you to prove that you spend 30 hours a week looking for work. You have to go to a Worksource facility every Monday with your proof.

These facilties are great, they offer computers, printers and faxes for your use to find a job.
On the other hand, because the time you spend in these facilities is counted towards your 30 hours a week search..... I experienced people that just sit around at a table and do nothing while thier 2-3 kids run around and play w/ the other kids. While waiting for a computer to become available, you get to watch most of the people use them to log into thier Facebook and other social networks, as well as read the news and what not. (It's an open network.) There are employees that walk around to help people... and not once did I see an employee go to a computer user that was using those computers for everything other than job search to get them off so others may use them. I saw some that were able to find a corner to take a nap even.
As long as your physical body is there, you are credited the hours.

I caught a flu by using the equipment there and lost my benefits by being 3 hrs short on my job search proof list.

I like the idea that they do not freely give anyone these benefits like they used to w/out them making the effort to look for a job.... just wished they were a bit stricter with the people that are there just taking up space.

I understand how easily it is to scoff at anyone that you see using the LoneStar card if they're buying items you disapprove of. But keep in mind, not ALL are low-life scum that live solely off the system... more so during this recession. Many, like me, have worked most of our lives and have paid our fair share of taxes.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:23 PM

27 posts, read 88,993 times
A "friend" just told me he got $400 worth of groceries for $200. This lady in the apartments he lives in sells the groceries at 50 cents on the dollar. You go with her, buy what you want, and later give her cash from the ATM machine. To top it off, she uses her Kroger card and gets the senior discount for an additional 10% off.

She said it rolls over to the next month, but if it rolls over too many times they will reduce how much she gets, so she makes sure she uses most of it.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,728 times
Default Ignorant people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Texan View Post
When I was a kid, my parents got food stamps and they could only buy WIC items, mainly stuff like milk, eggs, and generic brands of certain items. Now you can buy ANY food you want at a store. Most of the time, the people wh purchase with the Lone Star food stamp card have shopping carts full of junk food. Not because it's cheaper, because it's usually cheaper to buy the ingredients and cook it yourself, but because it is more CONVENIENT to buy junk food and pop it in the microwave.

Now some fast food places like Taco Bell want to be able to accept food stamp cards and I hope they don't allow this in TX.

Food stamps for fast food? - KLTV 7 News Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |

I whole-heartedly agree, the illegal immigrants should not be allowed to get free food stamps or free health care for that matter.

Honestly its sad to see how yall really believe that an illegal can apply for benefits such as food stamps for yalls info you need a ssn for that. So this bashing is totally irrelevant to that actual problem which is some people that abuse it and are drug addicts , ppl should get drug tested in order to receive any type of help.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:56 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,798,653 times
MOD Note:

Thread undergoing Mod Review - check back later

Thread Closed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas