Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 07:53 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,422,240 times

Advertisements

Well why must it be either one extreme stereotype or another?
Not everyone is a stereotype. Doesn't mean I'm ashamed of being a Texan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Well done! That summation is the key to unlocking the whole non-issue. This is TEXAS; not California or New York or Minnesota. We talk like Texans and do so in a traditional Texas accent and manner.

Along that line, it saddens me (not to the point of bawling aloud...just saying! ) that so many Texans today seem to be ashamed of such. Hell's bells, y'all...part of the appeal of Texas (whether in car sales or jokes) is a play on those unique stereotypes of our great state.

On a tangent, I feel a bit playful and digging here, so how 'bout this? Which sounds better?

1). (Texas twang/drawl) So c'mon out to Herb Easley Motors for that pick 'em up truck...and we'll give you a good deal and free Dr. Pepper for the kiddos. Y'all come see us now...

or

2). (Paris Hilton accent) Your luxury car is awaiting at Bruce's Chevrolet in San Francisco ...free endive salad and quiche.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 08:07 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,516,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMargeSentMe View Post
Well why must it be either one extreme stereotype or another?
Not everyone is a stereotype. Doesn't mean I'm ashamed of being a Texan.
I don't know...but why not? If it has to be a stereotype, then I prefer the one of being Texican!

But seriously, this whole thread, as it evolved, opened itself up for irony and reverse-stereotypes. And I dare say those who don't see it do not have a sense of humor. Do you?

Old 09-17-2011, 09:25 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,422,240 times
Do I have a sense of humor? To be honest not right now because I'm PMSing, not to get personal.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:28 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,516,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMargeSentMe View Post
Do I have a sense of humor? To be honest not right now because I'm PMSing, not to get personal.
I think I need to call it an evening! LOL G'night y'all!

Old 09-18-2011, 02:33 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,087,713 times
Isn't there (or shouldn't there be) something between the examples of #1 and #2? I can't choose between those, finding them equally annoying.

To be honest, the ever-increasing sheer number of commercials makes it difficult to appreciate any of them..."Oh no, not THAT again!" the 500th time. No doubt I watch too much television.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:31 PM

616 posts, read 850,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Commercials in general are annoying to me...especially pharmaceutical commercials and attorney law suit ads..and don't let me for get the Tax help ads.

Thank God for DVR and Sattelite radio.
and outside activities....

Old 09-18-2011, 08:53 PM

3,982 posts, read 6,698,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ATX View Post
here's a hint, YOU'RE IN TEXAS. Down here we have ranches, hills, canyons, wooded areas, that need a truck and not a Mercedes. this ain't Hollywood and Vine if it was I bet you'd be sick of the all the Mercedes commercials too..
Yeah that is more about fantasy and nineteenth century life than today where most Texans live in subdivisions built by Centex, KB Homes, Pulte, etc. but hey some people have to have something macho for those HEB trips.

Texans should travel more to places like Israel where they drive economy cars not for environmental reasons but rather because they don't want to support their enemies; and BTW they're more or less the same list of enemies that we have.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:39 AM

15,913 posts, read 20,122,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Texans should travel more to places like Israel where they drive economy cars not for environmental reasons but rather because they don't want to support their enemies; and BTW they're more or less the same list of enemies that we have.
Why would a Texan want to go to an itty bitty country that has a bunch of religious zealots who drive cutesy econo boxes?

Israel is 8,367 sq miles, Texas is 266,807 sq miles.

Texas truck:

Israel truck:

Last edited by plwhit; 09-19-2011 at 12:56 AM..

Old 09-20-2011, 12:11 AM

898 posts, read 2,553,395 times
Some day I wish they would say "screw it" and make a commercial with massive explosions as a truck draped in an Texas flag power-slides through the fireballs while God Bless Texas or something similar blares in the background. Add in a cowboy saluting something at a ranch while the sun goes down and you have a commercial! Seriously though I am a car person mainly because I have no use for a truck (as many truck owners probably don't either, I guess) but each to his own, this is Texas after all.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:59 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,230,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan View Post
Some day I wish they would say "screw it" and make a commercial with massive explosions as a truck draped in an Texas flag power-slides through the fireballs while God Bless Texas or something similar blares in the background. Add in a cowboy saluting something at a ranch while the sun goes down and you have a commercial! Seriously though I am a car person mainly because I have no use for a truck (as many truck owners probably don't either, I guess) but each to his own, this is Texas after all.
There is nothing wrong with a car, my ole grocery gitter ran 11's with a V6 and plenty of trunk space. GM made a commercial for it playing George Thorogood's Bad to the Bone song

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: