Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 12:59 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Relocating to Midland, Floresville, Victoria or Alice, TX
There is no question in my mind that I would pick Victoria over those other choices. It is a nice community with a diverse economy and easy access to the coast for fishing and recreation. Read some of these threads about Victoria.

//www.city-data.com/forum/corpu...ny-advice.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/corpu...l#post17319407

//www.city-data.com/forum/corpu...rea-texas.html

I have visited Corpus numerous times and never had the impression it was a retirement community. I'm not sure where you go that idea. The demographics do not support that idea.

You can see the demographics data for any Texas city here //www.city-data.com/city/Texas.html

Last edited by CptnRn; 09-26-2011 at 01:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 01:07 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
Nor will I. DH was working for a small independent in Midland, and I was working for a local CPA. It was so scary. DH was just waiting to lose his job. His boss had lots of outstanding debt with the bank and the risk/fear of defaulting on those loans loomed over his office forever. I also remember going to the FDIC auction when they sold off all the art/furniture etc from the bank.

Sorry, getting off topic here.
Ironically, both my wife's and my father worked at the First National bank during that time. It was crazy for sure!

Old 09-26-2011, 06:06 PM

5 posts, read 17,042 times
Default Move to Texas

With the comments about the oil fields, it hits home. this is why we are looking at the relocation, because after putting in an application, they highly want him to come there and drive truck. He has over 20 years of experience in that field. Do you think this is not a long lived position?

Old 09-26-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfohey View Post
With the comments about the oil fields, it hits home. this is why we are looking at the relocation, because after putting in an application, they highly want him to come there and drive truck. He has over 20 years of experience in that field. Do you think this is not a long lived position?
It's my guess that the oilfield has at least another 10 yrs. As for drivers, their highering people straight out of CDL classes. It's not uncommon to see signs posted looking for CDL drivers.

Old 10-01-2011, 06:40 AM

14 posts, read 36,206 times
Default victoria

been living in Victoria for six months now. moved from Wisconsin, actually. can't speak on Midland or Floresville, though.

definitely a TON of money to be made with the oil companies here. and especially if you own your own truck, you'll do very nicely.

housing is rough here, but that's been primarily for single dwellings. if you want a house or a bigger apartment they can be found, though they aren't plentiful. if you're looking at buying property outside the city, mineral rights and property rights are two separate things, so be aware of that.

the two high schools in Victoria are terrible, so i've heard.

i wouldn't call Victoria desert-y. the trees are sparser and shorter than you'd be used to from Wisconsin, but it isn't the tumbleweed kind of place that you'd think--that's all more West of here. granted, it's still hot as hell here.

don't be fooled by Victoria's population. think of it as a small town of 5,000 that happens to have a Wal-Mart and a Target. and nobody really moves here and stays because they love the town or anything. people are here to work and that's really all there is to do here. but there's definitely money to be made here, and this oil exploration is bound to last another decade if not longer.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:50 PM

103 posts, read 102,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfohey View Post
An opportunity is there to relocate to one of the four places listed driving semi. Corpus Christy was another, but have been told that it is more of a retirement area and more expensive. We currently live in a small town in Wisconsin and the pay rate would be the same from one job to another. Wisconsin's taxes have become ridiculous so any info you may have on the property taxes and home prices in those areas would be helpful. We would like to try to stay in the "small town" atmosphere. What is the least desert like area and origin in these towns. Any info that you can offer on high schools would be great too. Thanks.

As a native Texan, I can tell you that the "small town" atmosphere is NOT what it used to be and more than anything, it is NOT what many people have always believed to be, (i.e. Mayberry, etc.) There is no Mayberry in real life, nor is there, imo, any really great small town left that will be pleasant and welcoming to outsiders. And even if there are, living there would be overshadowed by the lack of conveniences and choices.

We had the great misfortune to have to reside temporarily in west Texas many years ago and it was by far, one of the worst experiences EVER. We went into it with a good attitude, wanting to meet some good people, find a nice place to live. It was disgusting, ugly, filthy, and smelly. The people, (and as a Texan I hate admitting this), are some of the crudest, meanest, rudest, most ignorant people I've ever been around. The ONLY redeeming quality about that region is that there are no unobstructed views of the skies at night. But that's no reason to move there.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizela View Post
As a native Texan, I can tell you that the "small town" atmosphere is NOT what it used to be and more than anything, it is NOT what many people have always believed to be, (i.e. Mayberry, etc.) There is no Mayberry in real life, nor is there, imo, any really great small town left that will be pleasant and welcoming to outsiders. And even if there are, living there would be overshadowed by the lack of conveniences and choices.

We had the great misfortune to have to reside temporarily in west Texas many years ago and it was by far, one of the worst experiences EVER. We went into it with a good attitude, wanting to meet some good people, find a nice place to live. It was disgusting, ugly, filthy, and smelly. The people, (and as a Texan I hate admitting this), are some of the crudest, meanest, rudest, most ignorant people I've ever been around. The ONLY redeeming quality about that region is that there are no unobstructed views of the skies at night. But that's no reason to move there.
Now wait a minute pal, I resemble some of those remarks!

West Texas isn't for everyone I guess. Honestly, you probably came out here thinking you was going to educate us and show us the wickedness of our ways. Teach how to dress and act like people hanging out in Star bucks or Rodeo Dr uh? I see it all the time. We get people from all over the world due to the oilfield. You're not going to make friend's and influence others around here with your nose up in the air. Treat others the way you want to be treated...this generally means with respect.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:43 PM

103 posts, read 102,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Now wait a minute pal, I resemble some of those remarks!

West Texas isn't for everyone I guess. Honestly, you probably came out here thinking you was going to educate us and show us the wickedness of our ways. Teach how to dress and act like people hanging out in Star bucks or Rodeo Dr uh? I see it all the time. We get people from all over the world due to the oilfield. You're not going to make friend's and influence others around here with your nose up in the air. Treat others the way you want to be treated...this generally means with respect.

Nope, you got it all wrong and here's why . . . we went there with no attitude whatsoever, my father worked in the oil fields while I was growing up, I lived in Lubbock for a few years when I was a kid, so that's not a foreign climate to me. Plus I'm a native Texan!

There is just "something" about that Midland/Odessa/San Angelo area . . . obviously it appeals to some people, but whenever anyone asks about it or wants suggestions or recommendations, I tell the TRUTH as I know it, which is . . . West Texas bad.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:23 PM

1 posts, read 793 times
Default I'm relocating to Victoria for job op any advice?

Hello everyone, I'm relocating to Victoria for a job driving in oilfields. I am a 34 soon to be divorce' African American man from California. Looking here to get advice on any good areas or even apartments to look into. I would prefer a quiet area. I am not worried about any metro life I'm just here to work and live quietly.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas