Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 07:19 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I vote that the parents or surviving spouse of the person murdered be allowed to decide how the killer dies and be granted the luxury of putting their loved ones killer six feet under if they so desire...
Here's a better idea: Just put them on the jury in the first place.

Ever wonder why the victims of the crimes are not allowed to be on the jury?

You can't just pick somebody out of a list of possible suspects and execute him, just so somebody can feel like they got closure.

Why not just play it safe, and execute everybody on the list of possible suspects, and stop wasting time on trials in the first place, if the only purpose is to get closure without regard for justice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 11:46 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Troy Davis? No.

DC sniper? Yes.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:51 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,447,145 times
For it...especially for the type of crime.

People like Richard Ramirsz, Charles Manson and his gang...heck the list could go on and on. The guys who drug that man in Jasper to his death.

I am for it for these kinds of crimes and others that involve heinous torture and killing.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:30 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,366,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Any thoughts concerning for or against?

why do you ask ?

what is YOUR stand on the death penalty ?

Old 09-30-2011, 04:41 AM

2,089 posts, read 3,906,520 times
Against. Our great flaw of humanity.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:18 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,001,704 times
How about reserving the death penalty for the biggest menaces of society: lobbyists, corrupt politicians, white-collar criminals, Wall Street types... ?

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 09-30-2011 at 01:28 PM..

Old 09-30-2011, 01:29 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post
How about reserving the death penalty for the biggest menaces of society: lobbyists, corrupt politicians, white-collar criminals, Wall Street types... ?
Hum...I'm not sure I would mention this one out loud.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:54 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,773,290 times
[quote=jtur88;21090616]You can't just pick somebody out of a list of possible suspects and execute him, just so somebody can feel like they got closure.

You mean they actually do this? Just line people up as possible suspects and pick one out and execute him?

Wow! I didn't know this.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:33 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Against. Our great flaw of humanity.
My sentiments

Old 10-01-2011, 04:59 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Definitely in favor. There are some crimes so brutal and heinous that those who commit them deserve the die. It has nothing to do with detererence, but simple justice (as I see it).

I could be persuaded that -- in theory -- life without any possibility of parole -- provided the convicted do the hardest time possible -- would be a reasonable alternative. Thing is though, there is never any guarantee of such. Kenneth McDuff is a classic Texas example.

Elaborating a little on the above, there are those who propose life without any possibility of parole as an alternative to the death penalty. And again, I can see certain "advantages" to such. For one, it would eliminate any possibility of an innocent person being executed; which is always an -- even if very remote -- possibility. And personally, this is the only aspect of capital punishment that gives me any sort of pause at all. Also, true life without parole -- with that hard time stipulation -- might even be a more appropriate punishment in terms of applying justice.

BUT...again, there is no guarantee that such would or could ever be implemented. For one thing, many of those who offer life without parole as an alternative are using it as a "stalking horse." That is to say, ideologically, they are basically opposed to the concept of "punishment" or "retribution" at all. Many of this persuasion tend to see crime as the result of flaws in society, not in the evil character of the individual. Thus, the reason they advance life without parole is not so much they truly embrace it, but because it comes across as a truly viable alternative to the public from a "public relations" standpoint.

However, thing is (at least IMHO), if such were implemented, it would not be long before the same ilk would then begin to campaign against the very alternative they originally claimed to embrace. The old "one step at a time" formula!

So, all in all, yes, I remain a firm supporter of the death penalty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas