Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hats: on or off while eating?
Yes, I wear my hat while eating. 15 14.85%
No, I take my hat off while eating. 60 59.41%
I like cake. 26 25.74%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 03:30 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,800,944 times

Advertisements

Agreed. And are you referring to this man? The justice of the peace section is hilarious!

Roy Bean - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 03:43 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
Agreed. And are you referring to this man? The justice of the peace section is hilarious!

Roy Bean - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yes, he is the man!

There is some more interesting stuff about him and the area here in the Texas Trivia thread.

Texas Trivia

Old 10-09-2011, 05:38 PM

204 posts, read 336,098 times
Give me a break. It's the same crap on every forum. "Dem transplants is wreckin mah state!"

I'm surrounded by 30,000 youth everyday at UTSA. I'd say 90% of them are "native Texans." I see just as much rudeness, sagging pants, and backwards hats as any other city in the country.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:43 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,263,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Yes, he is the man!

There is some more interesting stuff about him and the area here in the Texas Trivia thread.

Texas Trivia
Judge Roy Bean, the Law West of the Pecos!

That was one dude you did not mess with for dang sure lol They have a small museum there in Pecos if I recall...even his old jailhouse.

Anyhow, that Texas Trivia thread is fun!

Old 10-09-2011, 06:16 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
I am an urban Texan and I do not wear baggy pants or a hat backwards. I understand customs changing and people from other states bringing in their own customs and values. With that being said it does not excuse dressing like a slob nor does it excuse wearing a hat indoors. And like most things it all starts at home and how people are raised.
Well not everybody is the same. I know many born and raised Texans that where their fitteds backwards and they wear baggy clothes ( BTW, there's nothing wrong with baggy clothes). Growing up in Killeen, I and everyone I knew wore hats inside public spaces and at tables and nobody gave a crap about it. Nobody brought that custom here. It's just common throughout urban places around the world. You need to admit that the custom changed amongst young native born Texans.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:32 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,263,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You need to admit that the custom changed amongst young native born Texans.
Yes and no,

You're not born knowing customs, their taught to you as a child. I learned all my Texas customs and traditions from my parents and grandparents who are/where native Texans. These children maybe native Texans but their parents and grandparents probably migrated from other parts. Example is larger Mextroplex areas like Houston, Dallas, and Austin seem to attract people from all over the world. These people move in and have no idea of Texas customs, traditions, or history for that fact. So they can't teach what they don't know.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:30 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
You mis-read his post,

This person is talking about another Texas tradition which is waving at people passing you while driving down the road. You really have to get out away from the city to see it in action. What's being implied by his post is that transplants don't understand this tradition and should try waving back.
No, I didn't. That was only one thing he mentioned and this transplant lives out of the city and has been waving at people for 33 years now. It's an easy concept to grasp, but I was doing it when I lived in the city in southern California. It has been around forever, a kind of fun thing to do.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Ummm...perhaps YOU should google getting drunk and falling down b/c it is a Hank Williams 3 song. I do not have to prove my credibility to you or anyone else on here. And furthermore, if you are not from TX you will never understand the traditions and/or culture. You can try and then believe you have it all figured out. Being born a Texan the traditions of this state are bred into your soul. Just because you have "lived here a long time" does not make you the upmost authority on this subject. And as the OP just stated you did misread my post. There is more to TX than big city life. That is where these traditions were born and still currently reside. If you went to a small southern town like Encinal, Cotulla, Carrizo, or Cotulla and you had a hat on in the diner you definitely would get some weird looks. You're welcome.
Yep. I know the song well and don't proclaim to be a walking encyclopedia on Texas traditions. Once again, I live in a country town in Texas and have for 33 years, well not in it, but five miles from the small town. I've learned a lot and sometimes, I even find myself "playing the part." I hate the city life, so I totally agree with you there. Have a good day.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:

Hank 3 Gettin' Drunk and Fallin' Down - YouTube

Here ya go sweetheart. I took the time to do it for you
No need, but thanks. I know the words to it too. Well, you know Hank, a kind of wild and crazy guy, not my style, but I do love good country music and have since I was fifteen and living in the city in southern CA.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grf430 View Post
Give me a break. It's the same crap on every forum. "Dem transplants is wreckin mah state!"

I'm surrounded by 30,000 youth everyday at UTSA. I'd say 90% of them are "native Texans." I see just as much rudeness, sagging pants, and backwards hats as any other city in the country.
It's true. I just don't understand why people find their states to be without fault. I know CA is not infallible, but either is Texas or the people in either state.

I would suggest the older Texans teaching the younger ones manners, responsibility, etc. because in this day and age, it's totally falling by the wayside. I, too, work with students (high school) and I cannot believe the disrespect and foul months. Of course, they're all not like that or else some just hide it well. It's sad how times have changed. When my kids were growing up in the Texas school system, times were not like they are now. Texans are failing their children if they don't make them accountable for their actions, keep giving them whatever they want, keep screaming at them, teach them to lie, and well, the list goes on. The values and priorities of today are profoundly sad. Times have changed and they've changed everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas