Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 04:59 AM

167 posts, read 557,790 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and not sure where to begin so I'll just jump in... I have decided to LEAVE LOS ANGELES. I've lived here for 23 years and have had my fill of working hard only to maintain the same relative lifestyle I had 23 years ago. I'm in my early 40s, divorced, female, no children and rent an apartment! I desperately want to own a home but can't seem to afford one here. I want to move to Texas and would like input on what city would most likely suit me best in terms of cost of living, lifestyle, employment opportunities, etc. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 07:41 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,381,458 times
welcome! you are going to LOVE Texas! i am also, like you, in my early 40s, divorced, female, no children. i am a Registered Nurse. i would LOVE to help you find your piece of paradise in the greatest state in the union.
Texas has so many different "areas" that you need to be more specific in what you are looking for.
the FIRST step is to go to the traveltex website and order your FREE Texas travel guide, which is WONDERFUL (i even use it on a regular basis for roadtrips etc!! or just being an armchair traveler). it describes the different REGIONS of Texas and also a short synopsis of most towns in the state.
what do you do for a living? what are you looking for? geography/landscape/climate/size of town/lifestyle/culture?
land and real estate is SO affordable in Texas. it is easy to become a proud home and land owner if you are gainfully employed. if you can make it in LA, you can make it anywhere, so you will most definitely have a better quality of life, and more "bang for your buck".
not to mention, being single, i must add.....Texas men.......ahhh.........you will be like a kid in a candy store! there aint nothing like the men here in this state! they are REAL men!
feel free to PM or email me.
i am so excited for you!

Old 08-22-2007, 08:04 AM

264 posts, read 1,184,520 times
I'm CONSTSANTLY trying to get my sister to move back to Texas from LA (she's 42, never been married and has one child who she adopted from Russia).
Austin has consistently been named one of the best places for single women in the country, but I'm not sure if that matters to you? Could you tell us a little more about what you are looking for? Beautiful scenery or big city? What type of career are you in? What is your housing budget? What type of lifestyle are you looking for? Laid back? Cosmopolitan? All of these things will have an effect on where we recommend you look.
Good luck!

Old 08-22-2007, 05:13 PM

42 posts, read 191,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarewellLA View Post
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and not sure where to begin so I'll just jump in... I have decided to LEAVE LOS ANGELES. I've lived here for 23 years and have had my fill of working hard only to maintain the same relative lifestyle I had 23 years ago. I'm in my early 40s, divorced, female, no children and rent an apartment! I desperately want to own a home but can't seem to afford one here. I want to move to Texas and would like input on what city would most likely suit me best in terms of cost of living, lifestyle, employment opportunities, etc. Thank you!
I recommend El Paso and not far from LA.
I am not sure what type of lifestyle your are accustomed to but El Paso can certainly offer you many opportunities. El Paso crime rate is very low compare to it's poplulation. El Paso is a relatively small city compare to LA but El Paso is very fast growing city and the cost of living is moderate and realestate value has doubled in some areas within the last 10 years. Apartment rent starting at $450 for single bedroom and up but you can purchase a small home for a reasonable price at 100K.
Everyone has their own motivated future ideas, plans and goals. We must realize there will not be a city that perfectly meets the expectation. Most importantly, you must decide what is best for you.

I will not comment on city officials and politics.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:40 AM

11 posts, read 45,537 times
STAY AWAY FROM THE RIO GRANDE VALLEY!!!

I was born and raised here. I'm getting ready to move out of the state next week. Thank God!

There are so many reasons why it's a not a good place to live that I don't even know where to start. Unless you're moving somewhere for the food, stay away from the Valley. You'll hate it.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:47 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,381,458 times
AMEN to the poster above. and let me add the WHOLE SOUTH TEXAS AREA. ashamed that it is part of Texas. every week gives me another reason why i dislike it so much.

ya know all ya hear about Texas hospitality and gracious Texas men? NOT HERE. OMG. I have NEVER EVER been yelled at a stranger man in my life-i had one yell at me the other day-a hispanic man-who was too chicken **** to even come out face to face with me, but yelled from behind his glass front door, "I AM GOING TO KILL YOU AND YOUR DOG! KEEP YOUR DOG OFF MY GRASS! I AM GOING TO SHOOT YOUR DOG!" And my dogs wasnt even doing her business (small pug), and by the way, when i do walk my dogs in this neighborhood instead of the large park near me, i bring doggy pickup bags.
Oh by the way, it would have been hard to not see that I am a woman-i had a snug fitting tee-shirt on and my long blonde hair was coming out of my baseball cap!

I HAVE NEVER EVER EVER EXPERIENCED this kind of behaviour by a man in my whole LIFE in North Texas. Oh heck, I have been a prison nurse and even the freakin' INMATES didnt talk to me like that!!!! COME ON! I am so upset that I want to write a letter to him and drop it in his mailbox saying something like
"You sure arent a good example of Texas hospitality and didnt yer momma ever teach you your manners and to respect females and not to threaten to shoot folks and their dogs? Some man you are".

Oh and also, I REALLY REALLY miss MEN who open the door for you. Not ONCE since I have lived here a whole year, has a man held the door open for me at the fillin station or grocery store or Walmart etc. NOT ONCE. And I dont hear any "thank you ma'ams, or ma'ams" or anything of that sort.
I MISS TEXAS! I CANT WAIT TO GO BACK TO THE REAL TEXAS!

Old 08-23-2007, 05:04 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,225,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
AMEN to the poster above. and let me add the WHOLE SOUTH TEXAS AREA. ashamed that it is part of Texas. every week gives me another reason why i dislike it so much.

ya know all ya hear about Texas hospitality and gracious Texas men? NOT HERE. OMG. I have NEVER EVER been yelled at a stranger man in my life-i had one yell at me the other day-a hispanic man-who was too chicken **** to even come out face to face with me, but yelled from behind his glass front door, "I AM GOING TO KILL YOU AND YOUR DOG! KEEP YOUR DOG OFF MY GRASS! I AM GOING TO SHOOT YOUR DOG!" And my dogs wasnt even doing her business (small pug), and by the way, when i do walk my dogs in this neighborhood instead of the large park near me, i bring doggy pickup bags.
Oh by the way, it would have been hard to not see that I am a woman-i had a snug fitting tee-shirt on and my long blonde hair was coming out of my baseball cap!

I HAVE NEVER EVER EVER EXPERIENCED this kind of behaviour by a man in my whole LIFE in North Texas. Oh heck, I have been a prison nurse and even the freakin' INMATES didnt talk to me like that!!!! COME ON! I am so upset that I want to write a letter to him and drop it in his mailbox saying something like
"You sure arent a good example of Texas hospitality and didnt yer momma ever teach you your manners and to respect females and not to threaten to shoot folks and their dogs? Some man you are".

Oh and also, I REALLY REALLY miss MEN who open the door for you. Not ONCE since I have lived here a whole year, has a man held the door open for me at the fillin station or grocery store or Walmart etc. NOT ONCE. And I dont hear any "thank you ma'ams, or ma'ams" or anything of that sort.
I MISS TEXAS! I CANT WAIT TO GO BACK TO THE REAL TEXAS!
There are people like that anywhere in the nation as well as other parts of Texas, and I can guarantee they're in North Texas too. It makes me sick how anyone can say that about your dogs and threaten to kill you. Often on the news, one hears about some nut in the metroplex mistreating dogs, cats, and horses and I'm sure they abuse people as well.

This old world just isn't like it used to be. Well, I guess it's always been bad in many ways, but it definitely is getting worse in general. It's very sad. Unfortunately, parents nowadays have a really hard time teaching their children right from wrong.

I believe that crazy man should be reported, and I hope you do it. It's a terrible threat.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:41 PM

791 posts, read 2,223,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
Baseball cap? Maybe he thought you were some transgender freak ! ! ! Or hooker, using a dog as bait.

My apologies to transgenders and friends of T's. My comment was not to disparage anything remotely LGBT, only to point a finger at... whatever that was.

Moderator, feel free to delete my comments.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:33 PM

2 posts, read 5,052 times
Talking you will love texas!!!

rockport texas is a beautiful little city by the sea--up the coast from corpus christi. small town,lots of artist, lots of boats and fishing . there is beauty everywhere. not much work...mostly tourism, but only 30 mile to corpus. housing is (compared to california) reasonable. everything on the water is about 300,000$ but small in town housing is available. i moved to texas from california and have never regretted it. deni

Old 08-27-2007, 06:59 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,087,312 times
lifes too short not to be happy...

Move out of north Mexico Belle... we know nurses are needed everywhere and you can write your own ticket....

I feel for you... California is worse... multiply the hassles you have x 10
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas