Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Texas Dessert to Die For?
Blue Bell ice cream 5 25.00%
Peach Cobbler 3 15.00%
Pecan Pie 3 15.00%
Sweet Tater Pie 0 0%
Texas Pralines 1 5.00%
Red Velvet Cake 2 10.00%
Texas "sheet cake" 0 0%
"Coke" Float 0 0%
'Nanner puddin' 4 20.00%
Other (please explain) 2 10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 08:57 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Enjoy your reunion! Pecan pie CAN be overwhelmingly sweet, which is probably why I like those I mentioned. The high fat content/smooth texture are more satisfying to me than the overwhelming sweetness of pecan pie and Texas pralines!

If you want to get REALLY decadent, boiled-in-the-can Eagle Brand milk pie! It caramelizes, and is SO sweet that it is served in mere slivers at some restaurants!
LOL Cathy sis? I agree with you. That is the ONE really sweet dessert item I used to crave when growing up. My momma used to make it sometime as a treat, and you are right...it is SO sweet as in that much more than a sliver is TOO "rich" (at least by my own limited standards! LOL).

I THOUGHT of that one to include, but wasn't really sure if it had a strong enough Texas association to warrant it. Does it? Seriously, I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 09:03 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
This is just too hard!!! My brain my explode!!!

I vote for all of them expect the coke float and sweet potato pie. Never liked coke floats and never tried sweet potato pie, because someone told me they were similar to pumpkin, which I cannot stand .
Yep, they are (at least IMHO) quite similar. I think the difference boils down to (no pun intended) that sweet tater pie is more associated with Texas and the southeast, whereas pumpkin is more Midwestern/Northeast connected.

*curious* Do any of you American regional cruisine experts out there have an opinion on the above...?

Old 10-09-2011, 09:12 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL Cathy sis? I agree with you. That is the ONE really sweet dessert item I used to crave when growing up. My momma used to make it sometime as a treat, and you are right...it is SO sweet as in that much more than a sliver is TOO "rich" (at least by my own limited standards! LOL).

I THOUGHT of that one to include, but wasn't really sure if it had a strong enough Texas association to warrant it. Does it? Seriously, I don't know.
Probably not! It was quite the rage for awhile....then the practice was discouraged because of so many people ending up with cans that exploded--and having to clean up the mess on the ceiling and walls...LOL!!

Old 10-09-2011, 03:30 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Texas Desserts To Make Dying "Sweeter"

P.S. And yes, I am still going to be a contrary feller and not allow more than ONE choice.
Please tell me you are not planning on dying off any time soon. If you do decide to go, I guess death by dessert is a good way to do it.

But I do however, strenuously object to not being able to have a scoop of Blue Bell Ice Cream on top of my hot Peach Cobbler.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:26 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,759,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Please tell me you are not planning on dying off any time soon. If you do decide to go, I guess death by dessert is a good way to do it.

But I do however, strenuously object to not being able to have a scoop of Blue Bell Ice Cream on top of my hot Peach Cobbler.

Cobbler isn't complete without ice cream. I can't imagine eating hot peach cobbler without a scoop of Blue Bell. In my mind, it's automatic. There's simply no other way to eat cobbler.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:59 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Sweet potato pie done the right way tastes nothing like a pumpkin.

As much as I love ice cream, my mom's peach cobbler is so perfect that it would be a sin to eat it with anything else. It works alone.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:54 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
I never baked pumpkin pie, but I've tried it. Its recipe is probably similar to that of sweet potato pie, but the most important difference is the main ingredient. I hate everything pumpkin, so I cannot stand pumpkin pie. Homemade sweet potato pie done right is really good.

Old 10-15-2016, 02:47 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,970,756 times
Red velvet cake.

Last edited by toosie; 10-22-2016 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: Deleted "CD encourages bumping old threads" x14

Old 10-15-2016, 04:32 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times
How in the heck did I ever miss this poll. My favorites are all the above and some new ones - blackberry cobbler, apple cobbler, pumpkin pie, buttermilk pie, all those pies in fried pie form too. Also I love the little pig sweetbreads (marranitos), and there is a sweetbread that is filled with pumpkin filling that is usually awesome. I don't know what that is called. Bring me a pumpkin pie, and I will forget all past grievances.

Old 10-15-2016, 05:10 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,970,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
How in the heck did I ever miss this poll. My favorites are all the above and some new ones - blackberry cobbler, apple cobbler, pumpkin pie, buttermilk pie, all those pies in fried pie form too. Also I love the little pig sweetbreads (marranitos), and there is a sweetbread that is filled with pumpkin filling that is usually awesome. I don't know what that is called. Bring me a pumpkin pie, and I will forget all past grievances.
I also love pumpkin pie as well as fried pies.
-WT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: