Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 09:34 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,167,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
So, Big Bend National Park...have you been? If not, do you have a desire to go? It looks interesting, particularly the canyons and the desert vegatation that grows there after a good rain storm. Is it worth the drive to get there? It's a long drive from anywhere, even a long haul from El Paso. What's the best time of year to see it? I'd be glad to hear feedback on some people's experience in the park.
We very nearly moved to Terlingua several years back. I have always loved the desert and the freedom that living in an area with very few people offers.

Never had much interest in the park, though, other than maybe looking at the aoudads now and then. But Terlingua has a great restaurant and bar from what I am told and LOTS of genuine characters to make life interesting.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 10:25 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,495,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
The elevation of Chisos Mts Basin is 5400 ft.....

Big Bend National Park - The Chisos Basin Area (U.S. National Park Service)

Yep, you only go down there in the summer once, LOL!! I have found March and April to be nice there, though.
You are correct, the camping area is 5401 feet. The tops of the peaks are over 7000 ft which is where I got confused.

Casa Grande is 7325ft
Emory Peak is 7825ft

Here is a nice map
www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/upload/BIBE_map1_2007.pdf

Old 10-12-2011, 11:31 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,893,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
You are correct, the camping area is 5401 feet. The tops of the peaks are over 7000 ft which is where I got confused.

Casa Grande is 7325ft
Emory Peak is 7825ft

Here is a nice map
www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/upload/BIBE_map1_2007.pdf
For those who want to see the map (and it is a very good one of the park), right-click and save as......it didn't work directly for me, but that's not unusual for PDF files.

And yes, there are higher peaks, and all wonderful to see. I miss Big Bend and Alpine/FD. If I weren't so sick of the inside of a car, I'd make a trip down later this month. I will be in Texas anyway, and I'm considering making a sidetrip there if I'm not worn out!

Definitely God's country to me, the whole area. It's one of the few places in Texas that is not overrun with people, and I like that!

Old 10-12-2011, 12:20 PM

547 posts, read 940,279 times
Went there in June of 1994 with my father, brother, grandfather, and a cousin in two cars from Dallas. Loooooooooooooooooooooooooong drive. Also, don't go there in the summer because the temps there will heat up past 100. I think one day when we were hiking some trail it was up to 110 degrees that day. Being 12 years of age and walking in 110 degree temperatures wasn't fun.

We also stopped at the McDonald Observatory, stayed in the Davis Moutains for a night, stayed at Lake Balmorhea, and then ended up staying in Lake Brownwood coming back to Dallas. The trip lasted about 6 days or so.

We saw plenty of deer and javelina, but no bears or mountain lions.......

It was fun, but I hate long car trips.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:12 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,210,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryhoyarbie View Post
Being 12 years of age and walking in 110 degree temperatures wasn't fun...We saw plenty of deer and javelina, but no bears or mountain lions.......
It's even less fun being 65 years of age and walking in 110-degree temperatures!

The onlly problem with seeing bears and mountain lions is that they see you as well. I remember staying at the Chisos Lodge and being charged by javelina every time I stepped off the back porch! They never got me, but it wasn't for lack of trying.They reminded me of cartoon characters, but I'm sure it would have been all too real if one had gotten its little tusks in me. Mean little suckers!

Old 10-12-2011, 04:47 PM

714 posts, read 2,935,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
We very nearly moved to Terlingua several years back. I have always loved the desert and the freedom that living in an area with very few people offers.

Never had much interest in the park, though, other than maybe looking at the aoudads now and then. But Terlingua has a great restaurant and bar from what I am told and LOTS of genuine characters to make life interesting.

20yrsinBranson
Yep, I'm sure some of the characters are wanted by the IRS, FBI, ATF, and a few more agencies. At least they look like it.

I have been there 5 times in 20 years, in the spring, summer and fall. I wish I could spent a couple weeks every year in that area. There is the freedom, the beuaty, the isolation, and the difference.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:53 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,177,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlover View Post
Something I learned this weekend...you can take the Amtrak Sunset limited train to Alpine from Houston, San Antonio or El Paso (you can also connect from DFW) and from there rent a car and drive a little over an hour from Alpine to Big Bend.
NORMAL driving speed requires 2 hours whether you go TX-118 or US-285 between Alpine and park hdqrs.

As nice as the park itself is, the drive between Presidio and Terlingua on FM-170 is also spectacular much of the way. It closely parallels the Rio Grande the entire way. It's easy to make a round trip of it via Marfa going either clockwise or CCwise from Alpine.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:54 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,915,703 times
It's one of the most beautiful places I've ever been, especially in the spring and late fall. The austerity of the landscape, the clarity of the air and the skies are truly awe inspiring. It's not for everyone, but for some people the landscape of West Texas speaks to something deep in their soul.

Do go.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:27 PM

6,724 posts, read 9,972,956 times
I wanna go so bad. When I was younger I thought all of Texas looked like Dallas. I'm glad I was wrong.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:55 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,776,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
It's one of the most beautiful places I've ever been, especially in the spring and late fall. The austerity of the landscape, the clarity of the air and the skies are truly awe inspiring. It's not for everyone, but for some people the landscape of West Texas speaks to something deep in their soul.

Do go.
qft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas