Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 10:02 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times

Advertisements

So, Big Bend National Park...have you been? If not, do you have a desire to go? It looks interesting, particularly the canyons and the desert vegatation that grows there after a good rain storm. Is it worth the drive to get there? It's a long drive from anywhere, even a long haul from El Paso. What's the best time of year to see it? I'd be glad to hear feedback on some people's experience in the park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 10:33 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,624,789 times
I have not been in years, but it is well worth the trip, at least if you are planning to stay for a little while - too long a drive to consider it a 'weekend' trip.

But between hiking Chisos Basin and rafting or canoeing the Rio Grand through the canyons, it is a great trip. We always went in the spring - I think that is when the water is best due to snow melt. If you want to canoe instead of raft, I think there are more options.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:18 PM

14 posts, read 36,258 times
I went to Big Bend for a week of camping 20 years ago in the spring. It is a LOOOONG drive (from Houston) but worth it. We did lots of hiking plus a guided tour on horses and we took a little raft across the Rio Grande and spent the afternoon in Boquillas, Mexico. I don't know if you can still go into Mexico anymore as it was not an official border crossing, but that was fun. We camped in tents and it gets very cold at night but it's beautiful to wake up to the park. I plan to take my daughter there when she's a little older.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:09 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,159,885 times
From late September to early April is the best time. Temps can already be hitting 100+F in April along the Rio Grande. And will still be in the 90s mid-day in September.

November 3-5, 2011 there is this annual event:

Please join us as we celebrate this 45th annual 2011 Original Terlingua International Frank X. Tolbert - Wick Fowler Championship Chili Cookoff!

While this event abuts the actual park boundary, it does bring a flock of people to the area at that time. Accommodations are virtually impossible to find and campouts are the answer if you have an RV or camping gear.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:38 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,871,509 times
The Big Bend area is my favorite, and I try to go back every so often. As Joqua said, late September (I'd go so far as to say mid-October) through early April is the best time to visit and plan your camping/hikes/whatever.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:07 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
It gets hot early in the year and stays hot until late in the year. I know this from personal experience! It isn't that way in Alpine/Marfa/Fort Davis. But it is spellbinding in Big Bend Nat'l Park.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:07 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,981,952 times
Big Bend is a MUST DO in Texas!

Old 10-12-2011, 08:11 AM

443 posts, read 1,345,874 times
Something I learned this weekend...you can take the Amtrak Sunset limited train to Alpine from Houston, San Antonio or El Paso (you can also connect from DFW) and from there rent a car and drive a little over an hour from Alpine to Big Bend. We are going to do it in February....it would take us 10 hours driving from Houston...on the train we can just kick back and relax and only drive a little bit once we get to Alpine.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:17 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,469,216 times
Best time is late October thru late February.. after all it is West Texas and a desert. I visited in 1980 or 81 and made the mistake of going in the summer. Oh boy was it hot... even at night.. The only solace was the Chisos basin camp area which is about 7000 ft and was actually cool. We also took an off road excursion (I had a 4x4 vehicle) and that was a lot of fun. Camped out in the middle of the desert probably 40 to 50 miles off the highway. We stayed one night at the Rio Grande Village in a tent. It was so hot at night (probably close to 100 degrees) that we took the cots out of tent. We were then invaded by bats that would fly so close to us it was frightening. That I will never forget.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:30 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,871,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Best time is late October thru late February.. after all it is West Texas and a desert. I visited in 1980 or 81 and made the mistake of going in the summer. Oh boy was it hot... even at night.. The only solace was the Chisos basin camp area which is about 7000 ft and was actually cool. We also took an off road excursion (I had a 4x4 vehicle) and that was a lot of fun. Camped out in the middle of the desert probably 40 to 50 miles off the highway. We stayed one night at the Rio Grande Village in a tent. It was so hot at night (probably close to 100 degrees) that we took the cots out of tent. We were then invaded by bats that would fly so close to us it was frightening. That I will never forget.
The elevation of Chisos Mts Basin is 5400 ft.....

Big Bend National Park - The Chisos Basin Area (U.S. National Park Service)

Yep, you only go down there in the summer once, LOL!! I have found March and April to be nice there, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas