Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 05:08 PM

6 posts, read 5,020 times

Advertisements

I want to move outta California in 3-4 years.....Texas intrigues me! I've done a little research in the Dallas area but I'm open to any area.....I would like to have good job options, NICE people, affordable housing and lots of outdoor activities. I understand the weather is not the greatest, I'm sure it takes some acclamation and adjusting. Any suggestions would be appreciated, reading material and/or websites. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 05:53 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
Texas Travel Guide - take a look at the different regions, see which might suit you. Go from there.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:30 AM

204 posts, read 336,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim0670 View Post
I want to move outta California in 3-4 years.....Texas intrigues me! I've done a little research in the Dallas area but I'm open to any area.....I would like to have good job options, NICE people, affordable housing and lots of outdoor activities. I understand the weather is not the greatest, I'm sure it takes some acclamation and adjusting. Any suggestions would be appreciated, reading material and/or websites. Thanks!
What part of CA are you in? What industry/what kinds of jobs are you looking for?

If you are coming to Texas for outdoor activities from CA, you're going to be sorely disappointed.

Jobs? Probably better prospects in Texas overall, unless you're a teacher.

Nice people? Toss up. Any large city I've been to in the U.S. is the same.

As a California native, I think Texas is flat, hot, boring, and socially backwards.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:55 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,267,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grf430 View Post
What part of CA are you in? What industry/what kinds of jobs are you looking for?

If you are coming to Texas for outdoor activities from CA, you're going to be sorely disappointed.

As a California native, I think Texas is flat, hot, boring, and socially backwards.
And yet people from California continue to flock to this boring, backwards state. I don't get it.

Anyway, to the OP, check out the different regions as noted earlier. All the big cities are going to get pretty hot in the summer, but you will find affordable housing, and depending on your industry there is some hiring going on. Lots and lots of people from other states and countries are happy with their decision to relocate to Tx.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
And yet people from California continue to flock to this boring, backwards state. I don't get it.
Who knows? I'm sure they have their reasons.

I was simply giving my thoughts as a fellow CA native. I prefer CA because I like scenery and outdoor life. I like backpacking, skiing, mountain biking, surfing, hiking, fishing.. etc (all within a couple hours driving distance wherever you are). Some will argue that Texas offers most of those, which may be true to an extent, but it doesn't compare to CA. Anyone who argues otherwise is a fool.

But of course, many people don't care about that and only want cheap housing and "family friendly" cities... whatever that means. So they are content in TX.

Clearly he wants to leave CA, which is fine, but given one of his criterion, outdoor activities... I'm just letting him know what to expect.

Old 10-22-2011, 12:38 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
Quote:
Spoiler
Who knows? I'm sure they have their reasons.

I was simply giving my thoughts as a fellow CA native. I prefer CA because I like scenery and outdoor life. I like backpacking, skiing, mountain biking, surfing, hiking, fishing.. etc (all within a couple hours driving distance wherever you are). Some will argue that Texas offers most of those, which may be true to an extent, but it doesn't compare to CA. Anyone who argues otherwise is a fool.

But of course, many people don't care about that and only want cheap housing and "family friendly" cities... whatever that means. So they are content in TX.

Clearly he wants to leave CA, which is fine,
but given one of his criterion, outdoor activities... I'm just letting him know what to expect.
The only response to that is that once you step out the door, the world is yours. Plan accordingly.

Old 10-22-2011, 02:10 PM

156 posts, read 404,277 times
i like tx,not as nice in scenery as ca but the friendliness of people make up for that.being a lifelong californian and lived in tx a few years,you just cant compare.different people,scenery and weather.if tx had nicer weather id bet itd be another ca,overpopulated and no jobs.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:10 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,965,701 times
Texas has some really cool places. It won't be nearly as hip or liberal as California, and the weather towards the end of summer really starts to wear you down. The people here in Houston are NOT nice compared to other Southern cities, but it is very easy to make friends here. I know that sounds weird, but it is my experience. If you have a good job in California stay there. If you are coming for work then do it. My job is awesome, and what I do you don't find anywhere else.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
Texas has some really cool places. It won't be nearly as hip or liberal as California, and the weather towards the end of summer really starts to wear you down. The people here in Houston are NOT nice compared to other Southern cities, but it is very easy to make friends here. I know that sounds weird, but it is my experience. If you have a good job in California stay there. If you are coming for work then do it. My job is awesome, and what I do you don't find anywhere else.
Hey, look at that.. an objective post.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:11 PM

275 posts, read 416,374 times
Quote:

Texas is obviously good enough to provide you a job!

If you think it is "flat, hot, boring, and socially backwards," please, please choose one of the many roads heading west--I-10, I-20, and others. I'll even help you pack! I'll wave as you leave my "flat, hot, boring, and socially backwards" state.

I'll be very honest here--I am sick of people who move here complaining about how Texas isn't like ___________. NO ONE is keeping you here, so LEAVE!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas