Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 03:19 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
yes they are the very image of a judgemental and sterotyping society. if it smells tastes and acts like peanut butter they think it is. that is why i love texas. its simple.
it has been so hard for me here. it has been explained to me so many times and i just dont get it. just cuz someone rapes and murders doesnt mean that he is a bad person and should be shot on the spot.
....whaaaaaat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 03:52 PM

662 posts, read 1,450,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
....whaaaaaat?
This person just reinforces your earlier 90% post.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:53 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,645,484 times
Have you every had someone very close to you that was murdered? Or have you ever been raped or had someone close to you that was raped? Someone I loved was murdered. Someone I love was raped. If you haven't BEEN through that, you can't possibly understand how those who HAVE been through that would feel. Get off your high horse!

Quote:
yes they are the very image of a judgemental and sterotyping society. if it smells tastes and acts like peanut butter they think it is. that is why i love texas. its simple.
it has been so hard for me here. it has been explained to me so many times and i just dont get it. just cuz someone rapes and murders doesnt mean that he is a bad person and should be shot on the spot.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:17 PM

204 posts, read 336,274 times
Very interesting responses so far. Better than I had expected.

I guess I will say that I was mainly talking about this forum. In real life I haven't really experienced much hostility. Of course, SA is a large city with a large military presence so many people aren't natives around here.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:04 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
In my experience, the transplants who get the worst treatment in these forums are the ones who complain about the ways that the place they moved to is not like the place they moved from. Many folks in Texas don't want Texas to be like other places and they resent the implication that Texas is lacking because it isn't like those places!

Old 10-26-2011, 09:45 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
In the major cities, I have never heard or experienced such hostility. Half the people I k now are transplants. If I was in a small town in E Texas, I wouldn't be surprised if I experienced it, though.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:09 PM

275 posts, read 416,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
In the major cities, I have never heard or experienced such hostility. Half the people I k now are transplants. If I was in a small town in E Texas, I wouldn't be surprised if I experienced it, though.

I agree with you about the major cities vs. small towns. A transplant would probably be seen in a more curious light at least initially in a small town, but that's probably the same in every state. In the major cities in Texas, there are people from all over the world.

For example, I'm trying to imagine someone from the Northeast attending the Sweetwater Rattlesnake Round-up, which I abhor. I think it is cruel and it also contributes to Texas' negative stereotypes. Some people attending this "festival" actually smear snake blood on their faces. Makes me sick.

Sweetwater claims it is all for a "good cause," but they'll never convince me. BTW, I'm from Texas, so Sweetwater can't accuse me of being prejudiced against Texans.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:37 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,863 times
Quote:
i just dont get it. just cuz someone rapes and murders doesnt mean that he is a bad person and should be shot on the spot.
So if you came home to a guy raping or killing your wife you would what, ask him to stay for dinner? How does that go, sir, please wash the blood off your hands before dinner?

My childhood friend was murdered and I sat in court listening to some defense attorney trying to potray his clinet as a saint The scumbag got 10 yrs, eligible for parole in 5 yrs and due to an over crowded system they was about to release him in 2 yrs. Can you imagine what it would feel like to see the guy who killed your friend or loved one walk free after only 2 yrs? We petitioned the parole board and was able to get his parole canceled until time served. Now some scumbag murder is walking the streets while my friend is 6ft under. But that's okay right? I mean having a known murder walking the streets... just because he murdered a guy doesn't make him a bad person. Who knows, maybe he's your yard guy or paper guy...maybe even your friend?

Old 10-27-2011, 09:21 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
The great irony, of course, is all the time certain native posters spend COMPLAINING about the so-called complaining transplants.

In reality, I don't think Texans are hostile or judgmental towards transplants at all. This is an extremely welcoming and friendly state.

It's just something you see on this message board, probably because transplants and prospective transplants naturally tend to post the same kinds of questions/comments/threads as each other. The repetition of certain observations and questions makes some feel their beloved state is under attack and therefore they overreact.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:42 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Ironic how millions have moved into DFW clogging the highways and driving discourteously and then start complaining about how bad the drivers are here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas