Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 08:14 PM

204 posts, read 334,485 times

Advertisements

Well? Please inform me. I see it all the time on this forum. Give me a straight up answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 08:36 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,720,390 times
Short Answer: For the same reasons that Coloradans, Montanans, North Carolineans, New Yorkers, and Floridians are.

Some people just don't like to see their hometowns/neighborhoods change.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:57 PM

275 posts, read 413,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grf430 View Post
Well? Please inform me. I see it all the time on this forum. Give me a straight up answer.
I think some people don't want to see new people move to their state, period. Others welcome new people because it's the neighborly thing to do, and growth in a state can indicate the economy is doing well there also.

My personal experiences in living in other states--I had my best experiences when I moved to another state and did not expect it to be like "back home," which for me is Texas. When I moved to Virginia, I didn't go there with the idea that it would be like Texas. I also didn't complain and moan to natives or lifelong Virginians that "Virginia isn't like Texas." Comparisons such as those don't endear you to people in the new state you're moving to, and it also predisposes you not to enjoy the new surroundings you're in. Doesn't mean you'll never get homesick in a new location. Of course, you probably will. Leave the judgmental attitude about your new location back where you came from.

I think if people who are moving to a new state go there with an open and accepting mind, they'll likely be welcomed. They'll also probably learn a lot and have many new and wonderful experiences.

And, very important: if you don't like something about your new state that can be changed, step up to the plate with ideas about how to correct problems. Don't just gripe to people already there about the problems. Don't complain about the weather--in Texas, when newcomers (endlessly) complain about the heat, I ask them, "What did you expect?" They're in Texas, and it's hot here in the summer. This should be NO surprise as it's in the Southwestern U.S. Passing remarks about the heat are one thing. Continual griping is another. Another favorite is when new people arrive and complain that Texas is mostly flat, as if Texans could really do anything about it! Sheesh. At that point, I really am thinking, "Go home already!" It gets old quickly. People who come to Texas and embrace it for what's here usually have a good experience living here. And, many of them decide to make Texas their permanent home. They fit right in with people already here because they make the most of Texas as it is, not as they wish it was.

It's one thing to ask questions about the place you're moving because you simply don't know much about the state. It's quite another to ask questions with a snide tone and judgmental attitude about the state you're going to, especially when you're asking people, many of whom are natives or lifelong residents of a state--to help you.

When I visited Great Britain, I didn't gripe to British people about their food or anything else, and complain about how it "wasn't like American food." If I needed an American food fix while across the pond, I visited a McDonalds, a place I frequent very little in the U.S. I didn't ask them why they didn't sound like Americans. :-)

The USA is comprised of 50 very different states. They are not homogenous nor should anyone expect them to be. That's what makes the USA a unique and interesting country. Each state has its own unique "flavor," so if you move from your home state/state where you've lived a long time to a new state, leave your expectations that Florida should be like New Mexico or that New York should be like Texas. A'int gonna happen!

Last edited by nativetexasgal; 10-25-2011 at 09:08 PM..

Old 10-25-2011, 09:16 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,783,081 times
Some of us may feel a little hostile from time to time because of past experiences with transplants.

During one of Midland's bigger boom periods (1978-1984), people came in from all over the United States. Housing was so scarce at some points that some were living in tents, literally.

Quite a number of the new transplants were rude in the office, out on the golf course, on the streets and in stores and restaurants. I got sick of the constant griping about how it was "not like __________."

That wasn't as bad as the putdowns about Texas--hot, dry, conservative, backwards, hick---you name it.

I simply asked several of them why they were in Texas if they hated it so much, and most of them just mumbled something about needing a job, and walked off.

That got really OLD. Not all of them were that way, but a significant number were.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:34 PM

275 posts, read 413,987 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/texas...eel-about.html

^^
Here's another thread on this very issue. On the 5th page of that thread, one forum participant notes that TEXANS HATE COMPLAINERS. When I have said that in previous threads in the last few days, you would think it was the end of the world or something.

If you move to Texas, blend in and enjoy. If you just want to complain, go home already. There is a reason Texans love their state in a way many people from other states do not have a passion for their states. The only other states that I've found as "state proud" as Texas are California and Virginia, and they have a lot to be proud of. If I moved to California, trust me, I wouldn't be griping that it wasn't like Texas. I don't think I would be warmly welcomed if I did either!

Old 10-25-2011, 09:36 PM

4,420 posts, read 6,234,482 times
Aren't transplants a pretty good description of Austin, Dallas & Houston?
The media in Texas seems to love that so many people are moving here. I haven't seen any hostility and I'm a transplant.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:30 PM

425 posts, read 990,504 times
Also a transplant, and no hostility, but that may be because the company I work for is also a transplant, so I work with a lot of Chicagoans

Old 10-25-2011, 10:38 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,086,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy4017 View Post
some of us may feel a little hostile from time to time because of past experiences with transplants.

During one of midland's bigger boom periods (1978-1984), people came in from all over the united states. Housing was so scarce at some points that some were living in tents, literally.

Quite a number of the new transplants were rude in the office, out on the golf course, on the streets and in stores and restaurants. I got sick of the constant griping about how it was "not like __________."

that wasn't as bad as the putdowns about texas--hot, dry, conservative, backwards, hick---you name it.

I simply asked several of them why they were in texas if they hated it so much, and most of them just mumbled something about needing a job, and walked off.

That got really old. Not all of them were that way, but a significant number were.
this.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:15 PM

42 posts, read 147,714 times
As a transplant myself, I get annoyed by complainers. I think Texas traditionally is a state of independent people who can take care of themselves. If they don't like something, they fix it. If they can't fix it they deal with it. It can be strange to transplants when they see commercials about Ford Texas Trucks and McDonalds Texas Burgers. You don't see Burger King Vermont Burger or Toyota Connecticut Camry. Transplants often mistake this whole Texas "thing" as arrogance, but it's really pride and confidence. People from the Northeast and Midwest just tend to be more reserved.

As far as the weather, I consider summer the time to stay inside like most people do in winter. Go ahead and complain about the heat...but you NEVER have to shovel it!

When I first moved to Houston, I though it was going to be like the movie Urban Cowboy. LOL!

Old 10-26-2011, 01:30 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,081,924 times
I don't agree that Texans as a whole are "hostile and judgemental toward transplants". I'm not unless they give me a reason to be, but I feel the same way toward native Texans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas