Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 11:21 PM

275 posts, read 413,917 times

Advertisements

Regarding the rattlesnake round-up that is held in Sweetwater, Texas in March each year, I'm wondering what newly arrived folks to Texas and/or transplants from other states to Texas think about this "festival" of sorts?

I know rattlesnake round-ups are also held in Oklahoma and perhaps other states. I'm particularly interested in the opinions of people from the Midwest or Northeastern U.S., states not close to Texas.

Do you think these round-ups are cruel? The snakes' heads are chopped off at the event. Do you think an event such as this contributes to negative Texas stereotypes? Anything else you would like to add in the way of opinions would be very interesting to me.

I'm from Texas, but I find this event distasteful, especially when I see people smearing a dead snake's blood on their faces or other parts of their bodies. I don't see the point in that.

I'm not an animal rights activists, per se. I am in favor of humane and respectful treatment of animals used by people, however. Smiling and laughing while covered in snake blood does not seem to promote respect for (once) living creatures.

http://rattlesnakeroundup.net/

I'm trying to imagine taking friends from Virginia or Pennsylvania to a rattlesnake round-up. I think they would be in shock. But, maybe they wouldn't be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 11:48 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,226,306 times
You got any links to people walking around smearing snake blood on their faces?

Old 10-26-2011, 11:50 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,544,379 times
It probably has worthwhile enough origins. Rattlesnakes harm humans. If you don't kill them and merely turn them loose someplace else, they come back.

Now if you can BBQ them, I'm down for that.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:21 AM

275 posts, read 413,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
You got any links to people walking around smearing snake blood on their faces?
Snakes on a Plain: Sweetwater Rattlesnake Roundup

Here's an article about the roundup. ^^

"In a nearby skinning pit, children slather their hands in snake blood as freshly killed serpents -- a man with a machete stands a few feet away decapitating snakes -- hang from hooks on the coliseum floor. Proud parents take snapshots of their children sliding a knife along the headless snake's underbelly. Then the skinners put their bloody handprints on the wall behind them, signing their names on a morbid wall of fame."

OK, I'm firing up my sarcasm! Woohoo, Bubba! Look at these here pictures of my kids! My kids got snake blood all over their hands, then put their handprints on the wall, and then signed their names next to their handprints. Wow, can't wait to tell everyone what my youngins did this weekend. Yeehaw! Kinda like how they put their handprints on paper and sign their names at Vacation Bible School every summer! Oops, only thing is at Vacation Bible School they don't use snake blood!

Um, there may be a lot of Texas cultural experiences that a kid could have in Texas, but somehow my parents "forgot" to take me to this one. And, thank you, Lord above they didn't take me to this one! Yuck.

Herpetologists decry the treatment of the snakes and the spectacle of it all, saying that events such as these promote fear of snakes that after all do have a part in nature. And, that's true. If you leave rattlesnakes alone, for the most part, they'll leave you alone too.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:05 AM

I'm neutral on this subject at this point. Honestly, I've never been to a round up. All we have to do sometimes is just open the front door in order to see a rattle snake...yes, the wife found one by the front door a couple seasons back.

Now you say you're a native Texan, where abouts are you from?

Old 10-27-2011, 08:14 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,099,763 times
PETA and other animal rights folks will have plenty to day about the vulgarity of these events. Texas has these roundups in a number of different towns. Taylor, TX is one that has a long annual history of roundups, but it's not the oldest annual event in the state.

All of the snakes brought in are eventually butchered, with the meat going to those who like to eat or can it, the hides going to those who value them for boot and belt making, and the venom going to re-supply anti-venom banks for use on people who suffer snakebite. And I'm sure there's a market for the rattles too.

As opposed to making people more afraid of snakes than they might already be, I think there are equally those who witness the handling of the snakes who realize they can be handled safely/sanely.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
All of the snakes brought in are eventually butchered, with the meat going to those who like to eat or can it, the hides going to those who value them for boot and belt making, and the venom going to re-supply anti-venom banks for use on people who suffer snakebite. And I'm sure there's a market for the rattles too.
I'm not sure if this post is meant as sarcasm or an honest reply.

On the off hand chance this is meant as protest, I'm not 100% for snake rounds ups. Now with that said, I got money that you're currently wearing or about to wear some form of animal hide. It could be pair of leather shoes or leather belt, either way these are made from animal products. You're probably going to go pump a few gallons of animal products in your vehicle afterwards. Then maybe head over to the local store and load up on your favorite animal products. Even a vegetarian ends up eating animal products...I gave up animal products for two weeks as an experiment. Later tonight while watching the game or your DVR recordings, you may get a scoop of your favorite frozen animal desert product or maybe a glass of animal product before bedtime. Right before bedtime you watch the news and hear a story about some kid who was bitten by a Rattle snake and you think to your self, Thank God for anti-venom which was produced by milking live rattle snakes during snake round ups.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:28 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,778,756 times
Quote:
I saw it as a perfectly honest, non-sarcastic reply.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I saw it as a perfectly honest, non-sarcastic reply.
Okay,

Now if everyone could throw out their: leather belts, leather shoes, leather gloves ( expect those used by the Texas Rangers), perfumes, Fur coats, Wool clothing ( except our wool carpet), Down feather pillows, Honey, Violen/Cello Bows ( made with horse hair), and Insulin....yes, Insulin is actually listed on PETA's website along with other medical products. Anyhow, that is only the tip of the list which use animal products. Oh, and Stop eating animal products as well.

Thanks,

Cute and Cuddly Animals

Old 10-27-2011, 06:26 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,099,763 times
Quote:
Hard for me to understand how you read sarcasm into my reply. I merely stated the facts and tried to put a positive spin on these events. As for humans exploiting animals, humans have just as long a history of exploiting their fellow humans!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas