Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 10:17 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2relo View Post
I'm also currently residing in California and looking to relocate to Texas Aug 2012. I live in Los Angeles County and I am unhappy about the quality of living here. I am also conservative and looking for a place where I can feel safe to raise my family . I understand that I will be sacrificing the weather as its my understanding that it gets hot and humid in TX (Unsure about the humidity levels in Austin). but I'm okay with that. I visited only Austin and loved the friendly people, beautiful affordable homes and the green landscape of Austin. I have a close friend that relocated to Houston from Cali 6 years ago that loves it there and is begging me to check out Houston.

Even though I am very much impressed with Austin, I've notice that the demand for my line of work is needed in Austin but not as much as in Dallas and Houston. I am also in the Medical Field as a Medical Coder with years of experience. Does anybody know based on my occupation and my quality of living standards, which of the 3 cities in your opinion would best suit me? These are the qualities I'm looking for in a city to live in:

-safe neighborhoods
-good quality schools
-friendly people
-conservative community
-culturally diverse
-affordable housing Thanks.
-safe neighborhoods- All three have safe neighborhoods (whatever that means) doubt there is any city in the US that is just void of safe neighborhoods.
-good quality schools- All three have excellent schools. In terms of ranking, Dallas has two that are are top ten, but Houston and Austin have some top 25 schools too. I am assuming your not talking about Colleges.
-friendly people- Texas is friendly period.
-conservative community- Like neighborhoods, you find those anywhere. You will have better luck in the suburbs of either of the 3
-culturally diverse-Houston and Dallas are a lot more diverse than Austin, but Austin is catching up and probably will be close in about 30- 40 yrs. Houston is Historically the most diverse but Dallas has made improved greatly in the last 30 years that it has almost caught up to Houston.
-affordable housing- Houston is the most affordable of the three, then Dallas, Austin is the most expensive. Neither is all that bad tho.

Suggestions- I would suggest Tarrant County (Fort Worth area). It is not as diverse as Dallas County but it has lots of good neighborhoods, it is more conservative than Dallas, Houston or Austin, has good schools, lots of friendly people and affordable housing.

Another would probably be Sugarland. It is hella diverse and has all the stuff I mentioned about Tarrant County
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 11:15 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,051,870 times
You will be able to find what you want in all I think. The question you should be asking is more the neighborhood or area, rather than what city (all the cities will have good and bad areas, good and bad schools, affordable areas and expensive areas, etc.)

As far as your industry, all will have it but Houston is considered the hotbed of medical industry in the state, it has the largest medical district in the world (TX Med Cntr) and also lots of suburban hospitals.

Quote:
I'm also currently residing in California and looking to relocate to Texas Aug 2012. I live in Los Angeles County and I am unhappy about the quality of living here. I am also conservative and looking for a place where I can feel safe to raise my family . I understand that I will be sacrificing the weather as its my understanding that it gets hot and humid in TX (Unsure about the humidity levels in Austin). but I'm okay with that. I visited only Austin and loved the friendly people, beautiful affordable homes and the green landscape of Austin. I have a close friend that relocated to Houston from Cali 6 years ago that loves it there and is begging me to check out Houston.

Even though I am very much impressed with Austin, I've notice that the demand for my line of work is needed in Austin but not as much as in Dallas and Houston. I am also in the Medical Field as a Medical Coder with years of experience. Does anybody know based on my occupation and my quality of living standards, which of the 3 cities in your opinion would best suit me? These are the qualities I'm looking for in a city to live in:

-safe neighborhoods
-good quality schools
-friendly people
-conservative community
-culturally diverse

Old 11-14-2011, 01:06 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,497,361 times
I say go to Austin. More population growth there.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobwilliam77 View Post
I say go to Austin. More population growth there.
really??

Last decade:
Houston- 1.22M
DFW- 1.2M
S A - 450K
Austin- 450K

Looks like Austin got three times less people than Houston and DFW.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:02 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,965,962 times
Quote:

-safe neighborhoods-----
-good quality schools
-friendly people
-conservative community
-culturally diverse
This is only a comparison between Houston and Austin.

Austin is much safer, but it feels muuuuuuuuch safer.
Public schools is Austin are going to be better.
Austin is friendlier than Houston, and service is MUCH better.
Houston is much more conservative than Austin.
Houston is more curturally diverse. On paper it may not seem to be much of a difference, but in practice you can find a larger variety of people and things.
People say Houston. Consider this, most places in Austin are fine to live in, but you have to PAY for a decent place in Houston.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
This is only a comparison between Houston and Austin.

Austin is much safer, but it feels muuuuuuuuch safer.
Public schools is Austin are going to be better.
Austin is friendlier than Houston, and service is MUCH better.
Houston is much more conservative than Austin.
Houston is more curturally diverse. On paper it may not seem to be much of a difference, but in practice you can find a larger variety of people and things.
People say Houston. Consider this, most places in Austin are fine to live in, but you have to PAY for a decent place in Houston.
all of this false. No need to even go threw this one by one. All of it is made up.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
all of this false. No need to even go threw this one by one. All of it is made up.
Here is a link comparing crime.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 11-29-2011 at 06:19 AM..

Old 11-15-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Here is a link comparing crime.

Exactly. That showed that you were wrong.

How can someone feel safer in Austin when they have a higher rape rate, a higher theft rate, and a similar burglary rate. Crime is crime dude, and it looks like Austin for a much much smaller area is very scary.

**** Austin looks like a scary place to be a woman.

also, you dredged up 5 year old stats. This fails to show that Austin's crime rates are skyrocketing and Houston's are going down.

Last edited by Yac; 11-29-2011 at 06:19 AM..

Old 11-15-2011, 04:00 PM

These links compare schools.

Last edited by Yac; 11-29-2011 at 06:42 AM..

Old 11-15-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
These links compare schools.

Thanks again. I knew you would make my arguments for me in proving that your own statements were wrong.

Last edited by Yac; 11-29-2011 at 06:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas