Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 09:16 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times

Advertisements

Putting all of that aside, a good point to make is that in both cities, many/most of the murders are not completely random. Another way to put this: who you choose to associate with and the path in life you choose is a much more important factor than the name of the city ground you are standing on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 09:19 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scitats View Post
Actually no, his post was pretty accurate. He even backed it up with facts. Do you not understand how to interpret crime rates? 5 out of 7 of those crime stats were lead by Houston, and for most of them, Houston was way out in front. Just look at Houston's murder rate!
seems like you are the one not able to understand. His post showed Austin leading the way in violent crimes like Rape and robbery.

His post supported my point that his post was just pure exaggeration.

so stop calling people names you are the one who ends up looking foolish

Old 11-17-2011, 09:24 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
all of you getting your panties in a twist are too dense to understand what TVC is saying.

screw the per capita lectures, it is a comparison. What TVC is saying is that bigger cities tend to have more crime simply because it is bigger. But on the flip side it will also have more safe areas.

I am not saying that there won't be exceptions to the rule, and that cities don't get make overs, but generally bigger cities go threw periods when they have high concentrations of crime.

and Clarence you are not one to talk. Dallas used to be Murder Center USA.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:34 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,536,221 times
Sigh. Dallas has nothing to do with this. You'd never catch me on here trying to convince anyone that Dallas is safer than Austin either. It's not, and it has nothing to do with Dallas being bigger.

Being bigger has nothing to do with it. There are cities smaller than Houston with more crime and cities bigger than Houston with less crime. Going through periods has nothing to do with it either, because statistics come out every year and Austin consistently proves to have lower violent crime.

I'm 100% convinced that the two of you still cannot grasp your minds around what per capita means. It is the only unbiased way to look at crime statistics that takes external factors like size and population out of it. Good grief you have to be the most stubborn person to ever post on these boards. I have never once seen you admit at any point in time that any city in this world has a single advantage over Houston.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:48 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,449,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Sigh. Dallas has nothing to do with this. You'd never catch me on here trying to convince anyone that Dallas is safer than Austin either. It's not, and it has nothing to do with Dallas being bigger.

Being bigger has nothing to do with it. There are cities smaller than Houston with more crime and cities bigger than Houston with less crime. Going through periods has nothing to do with it either, because statistics come out every year and Austin consistently proves to have lower violent crime.

I'm 100% convinced that the two of you still cannot grasp your minds around what per capita means. It is the only unbiased way to look at crime statistics that takes external factors like size and population out of it. Good grief you have to be the most stubborn person to ever post on these boards. I have never once seen you admit at any point in time that any city in this world has a single advantage over Houston.
Let's put aside the insults and try to have a sensible discussion. My question is why would you want to take population out of calculating crime stats? People make up the population and people are the ones who commit crimes.

So you think it is just coincidental that small populated rural towns across the US have lower crime rates compared to the larger populated big cities?

Old 11-17-2011, 10:04 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,536,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Let's put aside the insults and try to have a sensible discussion. My question is why would you want to take population out of calculating crime stats? People make up the population and people are the ones who commit crimes.

So you think it is just coincidental that small populated rural towns across the US have lower crime rates compared to the larger populated big cities?

Because it puts the cities on a level playing field. Let's look at crime as a lottery. You could look and say that in City A every 18 out of 100,000 people will be a victim of a crime. In City B, 2 out of every 100,000 people will be a victim of crime. Which city do you feel more comfortable in? Granted, City A might be bigger and those statistics might not apply evenly to all neighborhoods, but when comparing the cities as a whole it is easy to tell which city is your best bet for avoiding crime.

And I apologize if I came off as insulting. I was not trying to insult you.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:58 PM

60 posts, read 175,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
seems like you are the one not able to understand. His post showed Austin leading the way in violent crimes like Rape and robbery.

His post supported my point that his post was just pure exaggeration.

so stop calling people names you are the one who ends up looking foolish
Because Houston has higher crime(much higher in some cases) in 5 of 7 categories but not 7 out of 7, that means his post is way off base? No way dude. Pretty accurate assessment of the facts. Also, rape index is nearly identical.

Here are some more facts to what you say was made up by him.

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Houston-Texas.html
//www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Austin-Texas.html

Scroll down where it has violent crime index and property crime index.
Fact is Austin is lower than Houston's in both cases.

How is this even questionable as to what city has more crime? There are no opinions involved, just statistics.

So again, his post is credible.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:02 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
[SIZE=-1]Latest 2006 Crimes per 100,000 People:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Houston, TXAustin, TXNationalMurder:18.22.87Forcible Rape:41.1844.9432.2Robbery:548.3191.3205.8Aggravat ed Assault:561.7276.3336.5Burglary:1295.71052813.2Lar ceny Theft:3524.64446.52601.7Vehicle Theft:1017.2358.4501.5[/SIZE]
I'll normalize to Houston's size so it might make more sense to you that way.

Houston has 18.2 murders per 100,000 people. Houston has 3 million people (let's use your figure). 3 million/100,000=30 (30 cities of 100,000 could fit in Houston), so the TOTAL murders in Houston is 18.2*30=546 murders per year (city wide).

Austin has 2.8 murders per 100,000 people. Austin has 500,000 people (your figure). 500,000/100,000=5, so Austin has 15 murders per year (city wide).

Austin gets 15 murders a year, Houston gets 546 murders a year.

Let's normalize Austin's population to Houston, Houston is 6 times larger (3/.5) than Austin. So, 15*6=90 murders per year.

If Austin was the same size as Houston, we would only get 90 murders per year and you get 546 murders per year.

Good thing I come from a long line of teachers and can explain to the non mathematically gifted.

Capeche?
Thanks for proving my point! The per capita murder rate in small cities is less then the per capita murder rate in big cities Is this not what I was just saying? Thought so!

Thanks and I am not being insulting either! Just stepping up to the plate. I see it my way which is the same as how per capital calculates it. We are saying the same thing but looking at it from different angles.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:20 PM

60 posts, read 175,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Thanks for proving my point! The per capita murder rate in small cities is less then the per capita murder rate in big cities Is this not what I was just saying? Thought so!

Thanks and I am not being insulting either! Just stepping up to the plate. I see it my way which is the same as how per capital calculates it. We are saying the same thing but looking at it from different angles.
No, I dont think you understand. When calculating crime rates as (incidences per 100000) this NORMALIZES the populations for which to compare different cities.

Size has no determining factor in whether its crime rate is high or lower that another city. A small city could have a higher crime rate than that of a larger one.

Most often small cities do have lower crime rates than larger cities but it is not because they are small. Its from other factors such as having a more homogenous population, less poverty, and more social unity.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
No, I dont think you understand. When calculating crime rates as (incidences per 100000) this NORMALIZES the populations for which to compare different cities.
Wrong since I do understand this!

Quote:
Size has no determining factor in whether its crime rate is high or lower that another city. A small city could have a higher crime rate than that of a larger one.
Statically cities under 100K have less then 10 murders per 100K, however large cities have per capita murder rates twice or more then that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas