Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2011, 12:37 PM

4 posts, read 13,530 times

Advertisements

Hello there!

I am a born and raised New England girl currently living up in snowy, cold Maine. Although a beautiful place to live, New England is cold and expensive. My boyfriend and I have done some research, trying to find a place to live, and our top choice right now is McAllen, TX.

Being from New England, I'm used to being very safe. Not only that, but almost EVERYONE is white. My biggest concern moving to McAllen is the fact that I'm white, with no Hispanic background at all. I'm definitely not racist, but I've never been a minority, and was just wondering if I would feel comfortable and welcome in McAllen.

In my research, McAllen seems to have a low unemployment rate, compared to the national average, as well as low crime rates, low cost of living, and what I would personally consider an absolute beautiful climate year-round! So, is this information too good to be true?! I would love to hear your opinions about things regarding race, crime, jobs, housing, good neighborhoods, traffic, climate...and any fact that may make or break our decision to move here. People who have been to/lived in New England and know McAllen well, I would appreciate what you have to say about the differences!

By the time we move, I will be about 21 or 22, and my boyfriend will be 22 or 23, if that matters. Thank you guys so much...hope the post isnt too long or boring to read!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 02:44 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,874 times
I grew up in MA, went to school at UM-Farmington, and I've been in San Antonio (four hours north)for nearly six years now. I know exactly what you're going through. A short time ago, I posted about McAllen and how clean and beautiful it was with the large number of TALL palm trees, etc. I have only been to McAllen once, but having said that you WILL be in for a culture shock. The biggest thing to remember is that wages are much, much, lower in Texas in general, and much more so in McAllen. The medical field is biggest in McAllen. Keep in m ind that McAllen is not that big (maybe twice the size of Portland, ME). So, going to any city without a job lined up, let alone a little one like McAllen is a big risk. You won't need Spanish to get around, but it wouldn't hurt to know a little if you are interviewing for a job. You'll be competing with people from across the border for, say, a call center job for $10 an hour or less.

As far as the racial thing, don't give it a second thought. Hispanic people come in all colors, anyway. It's truly a non issue. The cost of living is low, and there is no state income tax. Therefore, property tax rates are HIGH to make up the difference. Have you considered San Antonio? I moved here without a job and found one within six weeks, granted that was in 2006, and I had experience in the exciting world of insurance. San Antonio is a lot bigger than it seems. For example, it was WAY more spread out than Boston. As I type this, I can see a golf course out my window, and an open field on the other side. So, it's not nearly as "scarey" for a small town person as Boston would be. Btw, The climate speaks for itself, but once you can get over the heat (McAllen is humid), you'll be fine. Cold weather immobilizes people. Hot weather does not. Your home, car, and workplace will be air conditioned. So, don't worry about the heat. PM me is you need to.

P.S. I miss Maine.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:38 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,948,315 times
McAllen is what it is. I certainly would not recommend it to young people who have never lived in the area and don't have a network of family & friends. Look at San Antonio or Houston instead. Particularly if you don't have a job lined up--the only reason we stay here is for the job. While it's not as bad as some would have you believe, there are many better options available.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:56 PM

22 posts, read 56,582 times
I live in McAllen and I really wouldnt wanna live here anymore. Yes, the low house prices is great. But, the population here is mostly hispanic so you may need to know some spanish. The crime rate is quite large because of the mexican drug war. Also, in my opinion, the people here are horrible drivers. Especially the illegals who come across. There is not much to do here except go to the beach in the summer which gets old quick. The climate in humid and warm year round. The winter could get cold but really when a cold front comes thru. Its such a small world here so it seems like u know everyone. So, for a young couple like yall, the top cities I would prefer you to look in to is
*Dallas/Plano/Ft.Worth (Clean, lots of things to do, climate is great)
*Lubbock (this city may be mid-size, but it feels like home and easy to navigate. Winters are beautiful/Snow every year)
*San Antonio (only 3 hours from McAllen, wonderful climate)

But this info is from my perspective, a person who lives here now, but I wish you the best of your move! And if you do choice to come here, I wish you the very best! God Bless!

Old 08-22-2012, 10:49 AM

31 posts, read 84,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda1013 View Post
Hello there!

I am a born and raised New England girl currently living up in snowy, cold Maine. Although a beautiful place to live, New England is cold and expensive. My boyfriend and I have done some research, trying to find a place to live, and our top choice right now is McAllen, TX.

Being from New England, I'm used to being very safe. Not only that, but almost EVERYONE is white. My biggest concern moving to McAllen is the fact that I'm white, with no Hispanic background at all. I'm definitely not racist, but I've never been a minority, and was just wondering if I would feel comfortable and welcome in McAllen.

In my research, McAllen seems to have a low unemployment rate, compared to the national average, as well as low crime rates, low cost of living, and what I would personally consider an absolute beautiful climate year-round! So, is this information too good to be true?! I would love to hear your opinions about things regarding race, crime, jobs, housing, good neighborhoods, traffic, climate...and any fact that may make or break our decision to move here. People who have been to/lived in New England and know McAllen well, I would appreciate what you have to say about the differences!

By the time we move, I will be about 21 or 22, and my boyfriend will be 22 or 23, if that matters. Thank you guys so much...hope the post isnt too long or boring to read!
So, did you move to McAllen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas