Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 02:33 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,597,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
It affects everyone because obesity is putting an incredible strain on the American health system.
But if they die earlier because of obesity related problems, then it eventually puts less of stain earlier on the health system. The fatties croak early on and save money in the long run, reckon?

Quote:
But hey, if you're more concerned about which terms to describe incredibly fat people rather than addressing the fundamental problems I understand.

It's that sort of attitude which has led to the US becoming the fattest nation on the planet ( although I think Samoans might run it a close second. )

It's bizarre how puritanical America ostracizes drinkers and smokers yet is perfectly happy with greed and obesity which causes just the same if not more physical damage to the human body.
Agreed with parts of your opening statement! But I still do not understand this "busy-body" mentality that is so pervasive nowadays. That is, making it the collective business of some to take on the role of "health police" in the name of the "greater good" and piously lecture others on their eating habits. Why not the former bunch tend to their own rat-killin' and let the over-eaters stuff their faces if they want to....? It is called freedom.

And hell, to be honest, I would rather die of a heart-attack by eating too many Texas/Southern comfort fried foods full off all that bad stuff...than die of one brought on by worrying about those who choose to eat it!

Old 11-29-2011, 04:36 PM

487 posts, read 991,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
Because on average, they are much healthier and have better and cheaper healthcare, so they can afford to, and because they expelled their Puritans to this side of the Atlantic and consequently have a much more sophisticated understanding of oral pleasure. Simple
HHmm...oral pleasure from sucking a hot stick? ah, now I get it.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:28 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,973,551 times
The OP fails to appreciate the complex relationship between weight status and a multiplicity of factors that include socioeconomic status, educational attainment, ethnic enculturation (more than ethnicity per se), regional and even local variations (themselves multiply determined), dietary patterns that pertain to all the foregoing, and likewise exercise patterns that are again determined by a combination of the foregoing factors.

You will find a big difference in the obesity incidence amongst college-educated professionals in Austin, TX on the one hand and those living close to or beneath the poverty line in Corpus Christi, TX and having less than a high school education -- just to give a rather arbitrary example.

In my own present neck of the woods, I observe a lot less obesity here in northern Delaware than I do when I visit Centre City Philadelphia, where there seem to be a helluva lot of lard-asses who consume way too many Philly Cheese-steaks, Italian, and Beer. Yet, the parish where I attend church in Philadelphia is made up of a congregation almost none of whom are significantly overweight? Why this discrepancy between the creatures wandering Market Street and those gathered in a church a few blocks away? Demographics. And sampling. And observational bias. If I relied on my sitings of human blimps and beached whales on the streets of Philly I would conclude that Pennsylvania or at least Philadelphia has the fattest people in America. That would be an incorrect conclusion, however.

Having said all that, it's true that a lot of the stereotypic Texas diet does its consummers no health favours: chicken fried steak with cream gravy, TexMex, barbeque that has excessive fat and fattening side dishes to go with it. Those are all as effective as Philly Cheese steaks and sausage-and-peppers in contributing to weight problems.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:01 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,879,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
I thankfully am 175 and 5' 10" tall, .
Sorry but you are overweight by the BMI definition.

Your Body Mass Index is 26.

About your BMI: A BMI of greater than 25 is considered to be high for most people and a BMI of over 27 is considered to mean that you are at increased risk of developing health problems. However, in certain athletes, such as weight lifters, a high BMI may be caused by a high muscle mass. Lactating women may also temporarily score a high BMI.

Source: Body Mass Index Calculator - Calculate Height Weight Obesity

Old 11-29-2011, 06:24 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,848,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Sorry but you are overweight by the BMI definition.

Your Body Mass Index is 26.

About your BMI: A BMI of greater than 25 is considered to be high for most people and a BMI of over 27 is considered to mean that you are at increased risk of developing health problems. However, in certain athletes, such as weight lifters, a high BMI may be caused by a high muscle mass. Lactating women may also temporarily score a high BMI.

Source: Body Mass Index Calculator - Calculate Height Weight Obesity
How I love your posts......

If you add one inch to my height or take off ONE POUND from my weight, then I fall in the magic BMI scale of 25. Not that I, or really anyone, should trust the BMI scale. Especially since the BMI scale places both Brad Pitt and George Clooney as "overweight", and they both have been named the "Sexiest Man Alive" multiple times. In fact, according to the BMI scale, Tom Cruise is OBESE (he is short and has a lot of muscle).

So thank you for taking time out of your day and pointing out that YOU THINK I am overweight, but me, my husband and my doctor disagree with you.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:41 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,763,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Some of us may or may not be getting a little vigilant because we think the OP is simply being a bit obnoxious. "Why are people overweight?" Why do you think? In most cases, it is due to overeating and lack of exercise, and knowing that Texas is a sprawling mass of land in a part of the world where unhealthy food is popular, he should be able to put two and two together. Not exactly rocket science.

Also, people tend to come off as insensitive when they decide to use words like "fat" or "huge" instead of the more acceptable "overweight". Think of it objectively: people aren't actual fat; they have fat. Whether you agree with their lifestyle or not, you should recognize that they're still people with feelings, and being called fat doesn't feel good.
It starts out they way you just said and I'll add that it then turns to discrimination very quickly. And yes in most cases it is due to over eating and less exercise and I'll add there are other reasons such as hereditary, genetics, pain, accident preventing exercise, quitting smoking, a sudden traumatic change in life. I like how you point out people aren't actual fat; they have fat. Far too many people do not recognize that fact.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:26 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,706,546 times
You'll have to pry that deep fried twinkie from my cold, chubby little fingers!

Old 11-29-2011, 08:08 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,188,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I'm actually quite skinny, but I do have a fat ass.

I'd say that Americans view the treadmill in the same light that Europeans view toothpaste and soap: "that's just too much bloody work!"
Europeans use soap?????

Old 11-29-2011, 08:14 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,093,737 times
This is not a Texas topic. Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas