Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 09:02 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,386,701 times

Advertisements

Why the heck not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 09:13 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,942,142 times
Heck, I would leave too if I lived in Early, Tx.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Heck, I would leave too if I lived in Early, Tx.
Haha, but you'd just move to Dallas, I take it. Where the water supply is... better?

Old 12-19-2011, 09:19 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,942,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Haha, but you'd just move to Dallas, I take it. Where the water supply is... better?
I lived in Dallas all my life. Of course you would want to move out of Texas because you live in a very small town. If you actually lived in big cities like Houston and Dallas, I'm sure you would have loved it.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:53 AM

1,518 posts, read 3,055,756 times
What exactly are we talking about leaving and why?

Old 12-20-2011, 07:02 AM

Well, we started thinking about moving further north to get away from this 'perpetual drought' experts have been talking about, a theory that the drought will never lift in Texas. It will stabilize, if not get worse.

That got me thinking about how I wonder if my son will have a place to swim in a few years, and then about my son's future in general. As mentioned, Early is less than ideal in a variety of ways. We want him to have better quality education and recreational activities. If not for the drought, we might have considered moving to a bigger city in Texas.

I don't know if anyone else has seen it, but we're seeing a lot more U-Hauls driving around these days...

Old 12-20-2011, 07:34 AM

1,678 posts, read 4,010,962 times
Alot of it has to do with overpopulation of CERTIAN AREAS, which dry up the aquifers and surface water sources for the smaller communities. Its basically more about bad planning with water rights than anything else. If we could get more desalinization projects along the coast going, we could reseed the aquifers and have a perpetual supply available. Only problem is, is most cities along the coast don't want to front the cost of desalinization projects.

Once the La Nina lifts, the state should return to more of a normal rainfall pattern. The northern half of the state has already seen alot of rain this fall, and the drought situation there is certainly better than it was earlier this year.

Ian

Old 12-20-2011, 09:15 AM

They're saying this drought is caused by carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, however, and that it's a permanent rise in temperature that will keep the drought going rather than a lack of rainfall per se.

Make no mistake; I'm not suggesting Texas will become a barren ghost state. I'm sure it'll be "just fine" for as long as the world in general is. But we're at least looking at higher taxes to pay for our water, wherever it does come from.

Weather360 (http://thestar.blogs.com/weather360/2011/07/southwestern-us-headed-for-a-perpetual-drought.html - broken link)

Old 12-20-2011, 09:32 AM

1,678 posts, read 4,010,962 times
Quote:
They're saying this drought is caused by carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, however, and that it's a permanent rise in temperature that will keep the drought going rather than a lack of rainfall per se.

Make no mistake; I'm not suggesting Texas will become a barren ghost state. I'm sure it'll be "just fine" for as long as the world in general is. But we're at least looking at higher taxes to pay for our water, wherever it does come from.

Weather360 (http://thestar.blogs.com/weather360/2011/07/southwestern-us-headed-for-a-perpetual-drought.html - broken link)
If you are referring to the "Greenhouse Effect", thats another whole can of worms, which is rather debatable. Most climatologists feel the current drought scenario is due to the on-going La Nina, which generally means a warmer and dryer Southern USA, with the storm track swinging to the north causing wetter conditions across the northern tier of the nation.

Texas won't become barren; but much better management over water rights and the usage of water sources needs to be implemented. Otherwise, you can expect water rates to continue to climb, and restrictions to come into play.

Ian

Old 12-20-2011, 09:34 AM

1,707 posts, read 6,209,922 times
Quote:

THEY say a lot of things that rarely turn out to be true. Fleeing Texas for "who knows what" seems like a silly alternative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas