Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 11:32 AM

136 posts, read 840,007 times

Advertisements

Planning to drive from Dallas to Big Bend National Park for a week long vacation during Spring Break 2012.

Need advice on:
(a) where to stay overnight en route
(b) where to stay at Big Bend (would prefer cabins or hotels)
(c) what to do/see (will have 2 kids, 9 & 11 years, with me)
(d) any other tips or inputs

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 12-28-2011 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: moved from the Dallas Forum - you'll receive much more reponse here in the TX Forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 11:51 AM

11,819 posts, read 26,665,928 times
You will get better advice on the Texas board, or on a travel board.

I can tell you that Odessa is a good halfway point (6 hours), especially with kids. After there, there is really not any other decent town until you reach Big Bend. You could also go through San Antonio and west on highway 90 through Del Rio. Del Rio is about 7 hours away.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 12-28-2011 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: Correct ChristieP - moved to the TX Forum

Old 12-28-2011, 01:01 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,395,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
You will get better advice on the Texas board, or on a travel board.
This IS the Texas board and it is the perfect place to ask

There was a previous discussion a few months back which may be helpful to the OP

//www.city-data.com/forum/texas...onal-park.html

Old 12-28-2011, 01:25 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,592,874 times
When is Spring Break? Big Bend can be very, very cold at night (and even in the daytime) in spring.

There is extremely limited lodging there, booked far in advance. You can't just sleep anywhere in the park. You need to be in a designated campsite (which might be full), or outside the park in Study Butte or Terlingua (where there are motels).

Be sure to eat at least once at the Starlite Theater in Terlingua---wonderful atmosphere and 2-for-one spectacular burger plates one night a week, I think Wednesday, but ask around.

If you lock yourself out of your car, the park rangers there know how to get in, save you a road service call to a locksmith in Fort Stockton. (Guess how I know that?)

Last edited by jtur88; 12-28-2011 at 01:39 PM..

Old 12-28-2011, 02:30 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,083,705 times
Thumbs up Chisos Lodge

The Chisos Lodge is great IMO. You'll have to make reservations, of course. Watch out for the javelinas! It's right in Big Bend National Park.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:31 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,831,675 times
You might consider staying just north of the Big Bend Park at the Davis Mountains Lodge, and adobe wall pueblo style hotel.
TPWD: Indian Lodge

See the images here https://www.google.com/search?q=davi...w=1232&bih=765

Davis Mountains State Park & Indian Lodge, Texas [Official] - YouTube

It is close to the MacDonald Observatory. McDonald Observatory - The University of Texas at Austin

Chisos Mountains Lodge is also supposed to be a fine place to stay. Chisos Mountains Lodge | Big Bend National Park

Quote:
Chisos Mountains Lodge is a treasure in one of the most diverse areas of Texas. A must see!
Quote:
Big Bend National Park - Operating Hours & Seasons (U.S. National Park Service)
Big Bend's busy season is generally November through April and the park is often full to capacity for six weeks each year: Thanksgiving week, Christmas holiday season, and spring break (middle weeks of March). During these periods, demand for camping and overnight lodging is far greater than the number of campsites and rooms available within the park. Advance reservations for camping & lodging are highly recommended. In order to maximize your visit, it is best to plan ahead and have alternatives.
Nice Map: Park Map Viewer

Old 12-29-2011, 01:12 AM

Yes, I mentioned the Chisos Lodge, but I should have called it the Chisos Mountains Lodge.

The Indian Lodge isn't exactly "just north" of Big Bend National Park. Almost everything out there is a long way from everything else. But I agree, Indian Lodge is a fine place to stay. I have many great memories of staying there during the Texas Star Party. The night sky is splendid out in Trans-Pecos Texas!

Old 12-30-2011, 01:49 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,831,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Yes, I mentioned the Chisos Lodge, but I should have called it the Chisos Mountains Lodge.

The Indian Lodge isn't exactly "just north" of Big Bend National Park. Almost everything out there is a long way from everything else. But I agree, Indian Lodge is a fine place to stay. I have many great memories of staying there during the Texas Star Party. The night sky is splendid out in Trans-Pecos Texas!
Catman is correct. I did not check the distance, it looked close on the map but it is 147 miles, a 3+ hour drive. However it is still a good alternative location to visit.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:16 AM

3,243 posts, read 5,580,931 times
147 miles out there should be a 2 hour drive and maybe less.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:24 AM

I'd say it would be about a 2½ hour drive. You'd have to deal with very curvy roads in the mountains around Indian Lodge and then have to drive through Fort Davis and Alpine, but there isn't a lot to either one. You could do it in two hours if you didn't mind risking a ticket. Besides, if you're vacationing, you want to look around. I love Fort Davis! The food was great there in every eating establishment I tried, and I tried just about all of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas