Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2009, 08:31 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,795,213 times

Advertisements

I need to thank all of the Texans I've known who listened and didn't get up in arms as I reminisced about the things I missed after moving here 41 years ago. Thanks for your patience, Texans of my past.

I'm okay with a Trader Joe's here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 09:32 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,536,266 times
If I ever move back to Austin from Seattle, I will truly miss Trader Joe's. I have grown to love/crave the Trader Joe's brand...and only things you can get at TJ's for really good prices. However I would no longer have to miss Chuys so it would be an even trade. I swear, a few former Austinites in the room up here and within 30 minutes, someone has mentioned Chuys and how much they miss it. So that's my comparison.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:55 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,795,213 times
Well, there must be something to Trader Joe's if that many people like it. I can't imagine there would be outrage in the general population about having one here. It would be somewhat funny and fairly predictable to read Kelso's reaction, but that would be about it.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:01 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,965 times
People do realize that a lot of Trader Joe brand products are just seconds that didn't make the original manufacturer specs or TJ had them produce it as a private label product with slightly different specs that allow them to sell it cheaper than the original manufacturer? The former is why a lot of products disappear forever from TJ shelves. It was a one time batch that didn't meet specs, TJ bought it and private labeled it. Once it runs out, it's gone forever and customers wonder why a wonderful product never returned.

Every chain grocer does this. TJ just does a bit better job in selecting the items to private label.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:37 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
People do realize that a lot of Trader Joe brand products are just seconds that didn't make the original manufacturer specs or TJ had them produce it as a private label product with slightly different specs that allow them to sell it cheaper than the original manufacturer? The former is why a lot of products disappear forever from TJ shelves. It was a one time batch that didn't meet specs, TJ bought it and private labeled it. Once it runs out, it's gone forever and customers wonder why a wonderful product never returned.

Every chain grocer does this. TJ just does a bit better job in selecting the items to private label.
It doesn't really matter how they do it, it still works.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:06 PM

139 posts, read 350,921 times
Quote:
TJ just does a bit better job in selecting the items to private label.
That's exactly what makes it great. They have taste, like Central Market's stockers have taste. Yet you won't pay Central Market prices. Believe me, if Central Market was cheap, you wouldn't hear a word around here about Trader Joe's.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:28 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,965 times
Very detailed article on Trader Joe's...
inside-the-secret-world-of-trader-joes: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/110437/inside-the-secret-world-of-trader-joes - broken link)

From the article...

Texas and Florida have cities that boast consumers Trader Joe's covets, but insiders say the current distribution infrastructure makes it difficult for the company to efficiently get products to those states. To pick their next locales, employees look at demographics such as education level. In the past they've even looked at who's subscribing to high-end food and cooking magazines as a way of divining where the epicures are.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:35 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Very detailed article on Trader Joe's...
inside-the-secret-world-of-trader-joes: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/110437/inside-the-secret-world-of-trader-joes - broken link)

From the article...

Texas and Florida have cities that boast consumers Trader Joe's covets, but insiders say the current distribution infrastructure makes it difficult for the company to efficiently get products to those states. To pick their next locales, employees look at demographics such as education level. In the past they've even looked at who's subscribing to high-end food and cooking magazines as a way of divining where the epicures are.
I never knew I was one of them there ep-ee-curez when I shopped at TJ's around Atlanta. Guess I'd better check my magazine subs before we go back for a visit! (Would STILL be tickled to have a TJ's at Avery Ranch)

Old 08-24-2010, 10:15 AM

246 posts, read 858,059 times
I used to live across the street from a Trader Joe's. Didn't have to park, just walked over with my bag and filled it up with preservative-free bread, pineapple salsa, hummus quartet, and Really Expensive Chicken Burritos. Luxury.

I would love to have one near me in Austin but I don't know that I would drive across the city for it.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:34 AM

355 posts, read 923,295 times
For those of us who haven't experienced Trader Joe's (like me) and those of us who have, I thought you all might enjoy this cool video I saw recently:

YouTube - If I Made a Commercial for Trader Joe's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas