Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 04:40 PM

84 posts, read 282,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
To be honest, that perhaps this topic should be made a "sub-forum" along with the different cities...? LOL

And really, perhaps it should....? That way, those (like me) who enjoy discussing/debating regional/cultural studies...especially as applies to Texas...can do so. Because, yes, Texas regional affiliation is a very interesting subject, and one that will forever remain tied to the state's uniqueness. And also remain ever debatable.

And those who don't -- or are just purely burnt out on the topic (which even the most interested are, in some ways! LOL) -- don't have to deal with it. If that makes sense.

TXSooner? To me, Texas is essentially Southern. Even most of West Texas -- IMHO -- is more Southern than not in terms of history and outlook (that is, when stacked up to the Rocky Moutain and Interior SW states). The prototype of the Texas cowboy was the Old South cattle drover, not the Mexican vaquero. As to speech and dialect? Texas easily falls within the range of what is classified as Southern American English...and this according to the most extensive and recent ever done on the subject. There is not really any such thing as a "western accent" which can be associated with the vast majority of Texas.

Anyway, since this subject will never die (and in many ways, no reason it should) why not make it a seperate sub-forum? Perhaps..?

With all that said though, TXSooner, you make some very good points on the subject!
Making this a separate forum would be a great idea, because I don't think the very original post broke it down like I did. Maybe you could start it?

In response to your observation, I don't know what you mean by the "old south" cattle drover. My understanding of the "american cowboy" was that he was born somewhere in central texas and relied heavily on the mexican vaquero (i.e. using the rope to rope cattle, the saddle for cowboys being modeled after the vaquero's saddle, etc.)

Now as far as regional accents, I would agree that Texas falls within the southern accent, but in Amarillo it would not be a deep south accent. It could be a border south accent characteristic of Tennessee and Kentucky, but definitely not deep south. I believe that someone with an earlier thread broke down the accent differences. When I said Amarillo had a "western" accent, I was trying to compare it to what I believe is a similiar accent in Oklahoma, Kansas and Colorado, for instance. The panhandle has many OK ancestors.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:14 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSooner View Post
Making this a separate forum would be a great idea, because I don't think the very original post broke it down like I did. Maybe you could start it?
LOL The original post was one I made two years ago...back when I was a newbie! Since then, lord a mercy, there have been so many threads on this topic...and different opinions! You might want to read all those subsequent...

Anyway, I wish I knew how to do so! Make it a seperate forum, that is. You come across as a person who who can discuss this potentially volitile topic in an intelligent and civil way. I appreciate that!

Quote:
In response to your observation, I don't know what you mean by the "old south" cattle drover. My understanding of the "american cowboy" was that he was born somewhere in central texas and relied heavily on the mexican vaquero (i.e. using the rope to rope cattle, the saddle for cowboys being modeled after the vaquero's saddle, etc.)
The Texas "cattle boom" is a direct legacy of the "Civil War". It traces to the fall of Vicksburg. That town on the Mississippi River was called the "nailhead" of the Confederacy, holding the eastern and western sections together. It was there that Texas cattle were driven east to feed the Confederate armies. Once the yankees controlled it however, the market to the rest of the South was cut off and, with most Texas men off fighting the war, the untended herds multiplied and roamed wild. After the war though, because Texas emerged relatively unscathed physically, many southesterners migrated there to get a new start because of the cheap land. And sure enough, a commodity to be taken advantage of were the unowned herds of wild cattle. There was still no market in the South (having been devastated by war), so those early cattle barons (most of them former Confederate soldiers) drove them north to Kansas. Anyway, point being that it would seem to stand to reason that while certainly much of the Texas cowboy tradition was adopted from the already solidified vaquero presence, all in all, these men were Southerners and readily became cowboys by virtue of being familiar with the old Southern "drover" tradition. The saddle used by most of the original Texas cowboys was the "McClellan" saddle from the "Civil War", not that of the Mexican vaquero.

Anyway, a great work on all this is Terry Jordans "Southern roots of Western Ranching"...which pretty much confines itself to Texas. I am in the process of ordering this work.

Quote:
Now as far as regional accents, I would agree that Texas falls within the southern accent, but in Amarillo it would not be a deep south accent. It could be a border south accent characteristic of Tennessee and Kentucky, but definitely not deep south.
Nothing to disagree about here at all.

Enjoyed the discussion and look forward to more. I always enjoy one with someone who does so with genunine interest and in a civil way! And we can always take this to DM and/or e-mail.

Last edited by TexasReb; 01-31-2009 at 05:27 PM..

Old 02-06-2009, 12:15 AM

16 posts, read 74,999 times
Texas is South. Anything above Texas is north & full of yankees. I very much dislike the West also.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:21 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,028,490 times
Texas is South. It helped in the Civil war, it's in the club.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:33 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianbybirth View Post
Texas is South. Anything above Texas is north & full of yankees. I very much dislike the West also.
Oh, okay. Yankees, if you will, in Oklahoma? I agree Texas is definitely the south, but I very much like the west. It's beautiful.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:35 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Arrggghhhhh!!!! The Thread That Will Not Die!

However, Texas is neither the South nor the Southwest. It is Texas. Given that, I have a whole long list of links indicating that the U.S. Government, at least, considers it to be in the Southwest Region, thus, Southwest.

TxSooner did an admirable job in their post just a few above, though.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:03 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
I knew you were gonna say that, THL I agree...Texas is just Texas. It's actually a little of both, really. I mean, it does border quite a few states so that gives different regions their different feels. Deep inside, to me, Texas is Southern. But my opinion is formed from having grown up in South East Texas along the coast, where we ate lots of cajun food, seafood and southern home cooking. Also grew up in a region that was full of plantations, decaying foundations of old plantations and a history of cotton farming. Also grew up along the Brazos River (It runs through the edge of town). More similar history to the Mississippi River than, say, the Colorado river. I've got other members of my family who grew up in South Texas and West Texas so their views would probably be different...Texas, a whole 'nother county!

Old 02-06-2009, 11:46 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
EAST Texas is in the South. WEST Texas is in the West.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:54 PM

199 posts, read 663,157 times
Southwest

Old 02-06-2009, 02:49 PM

542 posts, read 1,498,558 times
I don't think you can simply pick one or the other. If anything, I'd say that it's a mix of both. But more with a Southwestern flavor with some Great Plains thrown in. That's what makes Texas just that -- Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas