Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 08:08 AM

1,534 posts, read 2,772,002 times

Advertisements

None of the big Texas cities are very walkable, but there are walkable pockets in all of them. Unfortunately, they tend to be some of the more desirable neighborhoods, so more expensive. In Dallas: Uptown, Oaklawn, Lower Greenville, North Oak Cliff. In Houston: Montrose, the Heights, Rice Village. In Austin - nearly all of Central Austin is pretty walkable, but especially Clarksville, Hyde Park, Travis Heights and the near East side. In San Antonio, Southtown and King William. Public transportation sucks in all of them, so you would also need to be in biking, if not walking, distance from where you work. All of the above neighborhoods have some cheaper older apartments where it might be possible to find a studio for around $500, but you will have to look quite hard, and get a little lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 10:27 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
The Gulf Coast is very flat but the rest of the state isn't.
Huh?

West Texas & the Pan Handle are also very flat.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:16 AM

434 posts, read 552,468 times
Isn't most of the state fairly flat, with it getting more hilly as you go west?

Old 01-29-2012, 08:03 PM

Is Austin easy to get around in?

Old 01-29-2012, 09:25 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,774,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.drew View Post
Is Austin easy to get around in?
I get around by bike a lot, and we walk lots of places and manage to share one car (have a 'weekend wagon' for emergencies too), but it would be inconvenient but probably doable to be car-less here, but only if you live pretty central and have a bicycle- Austin has lots of bike lanes, paths and pretty decent bike infrastructure. The flip side of the coin is that living central can be pretty darn expensive. Depends on how much convenience you're willing to give up, but with proper planning and lifestyle adjustment it's very doable.

Conversely, Houston and Dallas both have higher Walk Scores than Austin.
http://www.walkscore.com/rankings/cities/

Old 01-29-2012, 09:29 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,011,529 times
Corpus Christi has alot of good areas along South Padre Dr. that would be easy for the pedestrian. Apartments abound, and its next to areas that there is alot of retail and food industry. Do a Google Maps search, and see for yourself.

Plus, it stays pretty warm here, even in the midst of winter, so walking would be much less of a hassle than further north (although the heat of summer might not be so nice... but this is the case ANYWHERE in Texas!!).

Ian

Old 02-10-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
Corpus Christi has alot of good areas along South Padre Dr. that would be easy for the pedestrian. Apartments abound, and its next to areas that there is alot of retail and food industry. Do a Google Maps search, and see for yourself.

Plus, it stays pretty warm here, even in the midst of winter, so walking would be much less of a hassle than further north (although the heat of summer might not be so nice... but this is the case ANYWHERE in Texas!!).

Ian
I walk through the winter in Minnesota. I'm sure I could handle the heat fine. I like hot better than cold

Old 02-11-2012, 02:14 PM

437 posts, read 792,652 times
Nope, from June through September you will be homebound. Temps are okay but with humidity at 100% no way.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:47 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
The transportation infrastructure in central Dallas is alot better than it's given credit for. Dallas and Houston both have fairly walkable neighborhoods.To me Dallas' advantage is that its walkable neighborhoods are all grouped closer together around downtown. And on top of that,all of the major transportation hubs are downtown which causes all of the walkable neighborhoods to be even more connected;giving a car-less person not just more options, but also quicker options to get around(a short walk,a quick trolley ride,a quick train ride).Houston...not so much.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:14 PM

360 posts, read 1,087,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrtx View Post
Nope, from June through September you will be homebound. Temps are okay but with humidity at 100% no way.
In the early 90's I walked 3 miles each way to work in McAllen. Did it for about 6 months including the summer then got a closer apartment that was only a half mile away. Even worse I did without a car in Eagle Pass for two years 2002-2004. If one is determined he can get used to anything. Walked 7/10ths of a mile to work in Topeka, even in -70 windchill. And I agree, cold is worse!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas