Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 05:12 PM

795 posts, read 1,585,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Then why are people from those areas flocking to a "backwards" state?

Jobs, economy, low cost of living, decent quality of life, good place to start a family, religious values no matter what your faith is.
Yep, you nailed it. Good post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 06:13 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
I guessed it's mainly on CD, I've met a few who were annoying patriotic and got angry when I said anything about Texas, even if it was true. The people I met in Texas - well we didn't really discuss Texas much. I guess city data doesn't always reflect reality.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:56 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
>>>>>
Yes, many Texans are prideful, but it has more to do with the Texas Gov't and the officials creating a sort of Ultra-Pride overload, rather than the everyday regular Texan citizen acting neurotic and going goo-goo ga-ga over being a Texan.
<<<<<

^^^

This. I think it is really more of a marketing campaign than anything else; and, you can't fault Texans (or the Texas govt.) for cashing in on this perception that has been created. Just think how much Texas makes on tourism alone from Yankees/Northerners who think Texas is a place where they'll see everyone in a cowboy hat, a six shooter, and a lasso to boot. Are there a few Texans that TRULY buy into the idea that they're better than someone from another state? Such idiots are few and far between and EVERY state has 'em.

The marketing campaign ("Everything's Bigger In Texas" and "Don't Mess with Texas") has definitely worked. Look how many Hollywood movies STILL portray Texas as a barren desert wasteland where everyone speaks with an exaggerated twang and looking for a fight.

It's not reality, however. On the negative flipside is the perception that Texans are backward. It's the same ol' garbage like the heinous assumption that Okies and Arkies married their cousin, blah, blah, blah.
Yep, it's the Texas Gov't marketing campaign that capitalizes on the image of the Texan being a prideful, ego-maniacal, braggart, with alot of bravado. Don't Mess With Texas is a KEY example(even though it was merely a anti-littering slogan rather then some huge pride-slogan). Most Texas residents live their lives, and see themselves with the same mirror everyone else see themselves with.

Last edited by polo89; 01-18-2012 at 09:06 PM..

Old 01-18-2012, 09:00 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Other than Arkansas constantly poking Texas in the ribs and Oklahoma ringing Texas' doorbell and running, I don't see the reason for this slogan.
It's just a slogan, kinda like San Diego's title as "America's finest city". NYC: "City so nice, they named it twice". People look into Don't Mess With Texas and get so offended. I used to when I lived there, I used to hate that slogan and though that it made Texans overly prideful, but the more I hated it(and the more I hated Texas pride) the more I looked like the pretentious transplant.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:42 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It seems Texans are the most defensive bunch of people when talking about their state.
That's the culture here in Texas.
Just to give you an idea... I live in Houston, 120 miles from Louisiana.
On TV when they show the weathermap, they only show the weather of Texas cities.... but don't show Louisiana cities that are closer than El Paso and Amarillo.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:01 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,268,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
That's the culture here in Texas.
Just to give you an idea... I live in Houston, 120 miles from Louisiana.
On TV when they show the weathermap, they only show the weather of Texas cities.... but don't show Louisiana cities that are closer than El Paso and Amarillo.
Just so that I understand, you're looking for the Louisiana local weather forecast in Houston? I can't recall ever getting any localized weather reports when in Louisiana, Oklahoma, Arkansas, or New Mexico for that fact despite being within a 100 mile radius of say Texarkana, El Paso or Dallas etc. I don't know, I think you're reaching on this one.

I've learned one thing in my years of traveling, every state, city, country, district has it's own pride. Texas is just unique I guess in that we're not shy about expressing our pride. We don't feel the need to go to the Delaware sub-forum and brag about how great our state is either. But you will find people from other states or countries continually making such threads about Texas in the Texas sub-forums.

Texas pride is just something you get or you don't.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:40 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,449,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Keep in mind I'm talking about a vocal component, not all Texans.
Thanks for clarifying

Old 01-19-2012, 06:58 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,981,030 times
How do they show where the weather is coming from if they only show the state map? I don't recall that being the case in all our years in Austin. Maybe it's a Houston thing

Old 01-19-2012, 07:06 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
These threads are a gross exagerration and just dumb. It is no different than New Yorkers that say you can't get good pizza anywhere else. Or Californians that think they have great weather (they don't actually have weather). Blah blah blah blah.
A pizza war is different, that kind of stuff goes on here all the time. There is a reason this thread exists and it is because Texans have a pride that goes beyond anything anyone from any other state expresses. And anyone not from Texas is aware of this.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:07 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,634,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
We don't feel the need to go to the Delaware sub-forum and brag about how great our state is either. But you will find people from other states or countries continually making such threads about Texas in the Texas sub-forums.

This reminds me of one such actor who is such a boor about Texas/Texans. He is always trolling these pages slinging his bags full of horse manure.

I fully agree about those from other areas spending much time here in the Texas forums. It seems some have unnatural fixations.

Oh, I am quite Texas proud ... I have no specific reasoning other than maybe it is genetic. I am not rude about it to others though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas