Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2012, 12:21 PM

9 posts, read 20,561 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Oklahoma City, OK. My husband just recently got a new job on an oil rig in Odessa, TX. We are not in a rush to move, but will definitely want to move in the near future as we want to live in a smaller town. We don't necissarily like Odessa for any reason. I have been searching the web and I'm interested in learning more about the following towns: WEATHERFORD, MINERAL WELLS, SWEETWATER, or ABILENE. Of course any input of other towns within a 5 hour drive time of Odessa would be welcome too! Can anyone tell me about your experience in any of these towns? Are they dangerous? Are they completely boring? Are they wonderful? Freindly? Too Expensive? Etc. We are looking for a smaller town (anywhere from 5,000 to 80,000ish population) where we can raise a young (we have one son 18 months old) family away from the hustle and bustle of fast paced life! We are realy looking for a town with a great sense of community where our we and our kids will have plenty of good clean fun! ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 12:27 PM

5 posts, read 14,492 times
Have you even considered Midland? All in all it's not a bad town. San Angelo's a pretty decent area also.

Personally speaking, moving to Weatheford's may be a bit longer of a drive than what I'm willing to bet your going to want to do. It's a lot further that what it appears on a map!

Midland is a pretty safe place to raise a family, and a lot of families enjoy it there.

Good luck!

Old 01-18-2012, 12:32 PM

I considere Midland, but haven't heard much about it. We don't have to be too terribly close to Odessa because my husband will be on the rig for 24 hours a day 14 days in a row, then he will come home for the same amount of time. Right now the drive time for him is 7.5 hours. So, Weatherford I think will only be around 5 hours. He will only have to make this drive twice a month.

Do you have any expereince with Midland? Why do you suggest it?

Old 01-18-2012, 12:42 PM

I was born and raised in Midland.

There's an old saying West Texans have. "Folks go to Midland to raise families, and Odessa to raise hell!"

Of course, having lived out there, I'm used to the region and weather conditions that might turn others off. The city has a pretty decent amount of shopping, some very good restaurants, and although it can't compare to DFW, a pretty decent night life.

It fits in the range of size that you want, and is a pretty clean, safe city.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:44 PM

I just thought of a site for you to go to get more information.

Try [URL]http://www.mywesttexas.com[/URL], or they have a forum much like this one, [URL]http://www.myopenforum.com[/URL].

You might be able to find some information there to help you out.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:28 PM

THANK YOU very much! I will look into that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas