Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2012, 11:56 AM

5 posts, read 16,674 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about moving to the state of Tx. I am looking for good places to live, work and raise 2 young black men. I was looking at Austin or Mesquite or around those areas with great living places, not extremely expensive, has good paying jobs, places for me and my children to hang out and not alot of violence or gang activity.
Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 05:38 PM

135 posts, read 310,545 times
Default Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by happytobeme2 View Post
I am thinking about moving to the state of Tx. I am looking for good places to live, work and raise 2 young black men. I was looking at Austin or Mesquite or around those areas with great living places, not extremely expensive, has good paying jobs, places for me and my children to hang out and not alot of violence or gang activity.
Any suggestions?
Hi there Happytobeme ---
I think Mesquite would be a good place to settle. Austin is very expensive if you want to live in the better neighborhoods. I am in Amarillo, so I don't know a lot of detail about neighborhoods for either city.
You might consider Amarillo. We have a low cost of living, low unemployment rate, and low cost for housing. We have 4 seasons and the weather changes quite frequently. The people here are very friendly. Much friendlier than where I came from; Illinois.
Anyway, good luck to you.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:01 PM

3,997 posts, read 5,012,780 times
Hi there...I live in Mesquite...as you likely know, it's a suburb just east of Dallas. With that in mind, your job opportunities are greater b/c of the metroplex. I actually like Mesquite even though I've read on this board that some people think of it as kind of "low rent". It's mainly a blue collar city but it's plenty nice. There are lots of parks where I always see families out walking, or playing ball or whatever. It really does have everything that's close: grocery stores, restaurants galore and every store under the sun between the mall and the all the chain stores. It's also about 10 minutes to Dallas...of course it depends on where you go, but still close.

I haven't lived in Austin in over 20 years so the only thing I can say with confidence is that it is very pretty...love the trees and water. As for Mesquite...well...they have nice parks. Hope this adds a little to you fact finding mission...I think your boys would like it here...

Old 01-24-2012, 08:54 PM

5 posts, read 16,674 times
Thank You for the replies. I have been to Mesquite and it was nice and I have family there as well. Thank you for giving me another option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas