Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite destination in Texas?
Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown 41 26.97%
Dallas-Plano-Irving 22 14.47%
Fort Worth-Arlington 9 5.92%
San Antonio-New Braunfels 29 19.08%
Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos 27 17.76%
El Paso 2 1.32%
Corpus Christi 3 1.97%
Beaumont-Port Arthur 1 0.66%
Killeen-Temple-Fort Hood 0 0%
Brownsville-Harlingen 0 0%
Lubbock 1 0.66%
Amarillo 2 1.32%
College Station-Bryan 1 0.66%
Waco 2 1.32%
Longview 0 0%
Tyler 2 1.32%
Laredo 1 0.66%
Abilene 1 0.66%
Midland 0 0%
Odessa 0 0%
Wichita Falls 1 0.66%
Texarkana 1 0.66%
Victoria 0 0%
Sherman-Denison 0 0%
San Angelo 2 1.32%
McAllen-Edinburg-Mission 4 2.63%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 07:59 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,931,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
Lol, true. Cool with me if you want to call it Texas Dry BBQ, even though it's misleading. I agree there's a difference, why didn't you just say that in the first place?

Not bashing or boosting. I'm an Austin-residing Houston native who likes and dislikes things about both places, just trying to have a discussion about it.
why does it matter to you what I call it? Go back to the original post and read the context of what I said. All I said was that you can get both the dry type and the wet type in Houston. Which city is getting bashed in that statement??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Dallas vs. Houston vs. Austin....I love this threads. In reality, if you can be happy in one of these three cities you should be able to be happy in all three. If you're absolutely miserable in one of these cities I'm not sure how you'd do better in the others. They're not as different as people on this forum make them out to be. Yes, Houston is a bit more international. Yes, Dallas is a bit cleaner and more posh. Yes, Austin is a bit more ecclectic. They all have their strong points and little things they do better than the others. No city is a clear victor over the others. In the end it's not like you're moving to another state or country. Some of you like to pretend Austin is San Francisco or Portland. Some of you like to pretend Dallas is L.A. Some of you like to pretend Houston is Chicago or New Orleans. It's all Texas, and if you disagree with that, I'd argue that you haven't lived in too many cities outside of Texas.
Totally and unequivocally disagree. You are comparing the 4th and 5th largest metros in the country with what the 30th?
Austin is no way on the same level as Houston and DFW. NO way.

There is just a lot more amenities in Houston and DFW that just are not there in Austin.
Things that are taken for granted in major metro areas, I definitely miss in Austin. I miss the diversity of food options, diversity of grocery stores, diversity of ethnic products, diversity of people, I miss the major airports with an abundance of International flights.
Austin has no Major League Sports. I could go on and on but it would just sound like a slam on Austin, but just wanted to say that no way is being happy in one equal to being happy in any of the three.

Last edited by HtownLove; 01-25-2012 at 08:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 08:25 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,534,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Totally and unequivocally disagree. You are comparing the 4th and 5th largest metros in the country with what the 30th?

There is just a lot more amenities in Houston and DFW that just are not there in Austin.
Things that are taken for granted in major metro areas, I definitely miss in Austin. I miss the diversity of food options, diversity of grocery stores, diversity of ethnic products, diversity of people, I miss the major airports with an abundance of International flights.
Austin has no Major League Sports. I could go on and on but it would just sound like a slam on Austin, but just wanted to say that no way is being happy in one equal to being happy in any of the three.

I agree with you that there aren't as many amenties in Austin. That's why I made sure to include the fact that each city has a few advantages over the others. However, I think you're cutting Austin short. Food options? Austin, bar none, has the best Mexican and barbeque in the state. And this is coming from a Dallas homer. Austin is also the home of Whole Foods. I don't think people have a problem with groceries there. Yes, you are right about the airport and the pro sports. However, they have undisputedly the best college sports scene in the state. And I would argue that their tourism for being the capital of the state makes up in some ways for not having an international airport and other large city amenities. Like I said, each cities does certain things better than the others. I love Austin. I think I'd love Houston if I visited it more, but admittedly I haven't been there since 2008. I am attending a wedding there in March so if you have any recommendations on places to hit up, I'm all ears. The cities are all quintessential Texas. I'm not going to say one hands down is better than the others.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:51 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,772,849 times
Quote:
why does it matter to you what I call it? Go back to the original post and read the context of what I said. All I said was that you can get both the dry type and the wet type in Houston. Which city is getting bashed in that statement??

Dude, did you even read the post of mine you're quoting? I said, Cool with me if you want to call it Texas Dry BBQ, even though it's misleading. That means it indeed doesn't matter to me what you call it. Done.

I agree that being happy in one does not equate to being happy in all 3. I know many, many Austin residents who would rather move out of state than move to Houston or DFW, and many friends & family in Houston who have no desire to live in Austin, as they prefer the amenities that come with a much larger metro area. I'm not a fan of DFW but I could see myself living in Houston again, but unlikely we'd go anywhere else in TX.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
I agree with you that there aren't as many amenties in Austin. That's why I made sure to include the fact that each city has a few advantages over the others. However, I think you're cutting Austin short. Food options? Austin, bar none, has the best Mexican and barbeque in the state. And this is coming from a Dallas homer. Austin is also the home of Whole Foods. I don't think people have a problem with groceries there. Yes, you are right about the airport and the pro sports. However, they have undisputedly the best college sports scene in the state. And I would argue that their tourism for being the capital of the state makes up in some ways for not having an international airport and other large city amenities. Like I said, each cities does certain things better than the others. I love Austin. I think I'd love Houston if I visited it more, but admittedly I haven't been there since 2008. I am attending a wedding there in March so if you have any recommendations on places to hit up, I'm all ears. The cities are all quintessential Texas. I'm not going to say one hands down is better than the others.
Clarence, I like your style For me and my family, Austin is better than the others, at least for the foreseeable future. It is my favorite city in Texas.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
I agree with you that there aren't as many amenties in Austin. That's why I made sure to include the fact that each city has a few advantages over the others. However, I think you're cutting Austin short. Food options? Austin, bar none, has the best Mexican and barbeque in the state.
Best Mexican food in the state?? all I have to say on that one is pass the pipe

Quote:
And this is coming from a Dallas homer. Austin is also the home of Whole Foods. I don't think people have a problem with groceries there.
Austin is home of whole foods but so what, every city has them, but other cities have what Austin don't have. The grocery options in Houston and DFW far outnumber that if Austin. Especially in ethnic offerings. And I am telling you when I lived there I had problems getting my ethnic groceries and you are telling me that there are no problems??? You probably need to take a spin around Houston to se ethe african shops, or the Jamaican shops, the vietnamese and Indian shops etc. But oh Austin has whole foods

Quote:
Yes, you are right about the airport and the pro sports. However, they have undisputedly the best college sports scene in the state.
big woo, college sports. Not my thing bro.

Quote:
And I would argue that their tourism for being the capital of the state makes up in some ways for not having an international airport and other large city amenities.
In terms of Tourism dollars Austin is a very distant 4 (no SA is not 1st or 2nd). In terms of international visitors, Austin is a distant 4th. In terms of out of state visitors Austin is a distant 4th.
So no, having a tourism industry far smaller than the other cities does not make up for it having less amenities than these same said cities. You will have to explain that one to me more because it can't be as silly as it sounds right now.

Quote:
Like I said, each cities does certain things better than the others. I love Austin.
Sorry man, there is little outside of College stuff that the city of Austin does better than Houston and DFW.

Quote:
I think I'd love Houston if I visited it more, but admittedly I haven't been there since 2008. I am attending a wedding there in March so if you have any recommendations on places to hit up, I'm all ears. The cities are all quintessential Texas. I'm not going to say one hands down is better than the others.
March is a great time to visit temperature wise.

I would visit Bayou Bend. It is the former home of !st Lady of Texas Ima Hogg. It is a living Museum of Early Americana. The Gardens were awesome, but I dunno how they look after the last few years of freezes and droughts.
MFAH | Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens | Bayou Bend Gardens
Ima Hogg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would also Visit Glenwood Cemetery if you are into creepy old cemeteries.
Glenwood Cemetery | Houston, Texas

You may also want to try catching a free theatrical performance at Miller Theater in Hermann Park. Tons to do at that park too.
Hermann Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you are into art the museums district is on the North side of the park and a good number of them are free. The Museum of Fine Art is worth it tho. It is arguably the best fine art museum in the south.

Still in that Area, Rice Village would be a good place to eat or grab drinks. Just west of Rice is West U. Love exploring west University and the grand houses there.

Don't know what you are into, just suggested things based on my tastes. Lol, but I could send you antiquing down Bissonnet or greasing it up at some good old fast food joints.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Sorry man, there is little outside of College stuff that the city of Austin does better than Houston and DFW.
Far prettier, better outdoor activities, cleaner, quieter, safer, more educated, a far more fitness-minded population, a better live music scene, better BBQ, friendlier for cyclists for starters. Plus the college stuff. But if access to ethnic grocery stores is important to you, then YMMV.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:41 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,621,316 times
Quote:
Far prettier, better outdoor activities, cleaner, quieter, safer, more educated, a far more fitness-minded population, a better live music scene, friendlier for cyclists for starters. Plus the college stuff. But if access to ethnic grocery stores is important to you, then YMMV.

Don't forget Formula One comming to Austin in November

Old 01-25-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Far prettier, better outdoor activities, cleaner, quieter, safer, more educated, a far more fitness-minded population, a better live music scene, better BBQ, friendlier for cyclists for starters. Plus the college stuff. But if access to ethnic grocery stores is important to you, then YMMV.
^^^none of these things interest me.

And Houston has more variety of BBQ for those who prefer BBQ other than the dry Texas BBQ.

Besides, the best BBQ is not in Austin, but in the smaller towns in the Hill Country.

Houston also has a ton of cycling activities, and has many many miles of cycling paths with their own right of way

Old 01-25-2012, 10:01 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,331,345 times
I've never considered Austin a "pretty" city, so I've never been persuaded by the arguments for it being the attractive Texas city. It has beautiful aspects to it, just like Dallas and Houston, but neither of the three are good looking places, in my opinion. Give me Houston's trees over Austin's hills any day.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:06 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,331,345 times
Quote:
^^^none of these things interest me.

And Houston has more variety of BBQ for those who prefer BBQ other than the dry Texas BBQ.

Besides, the best BBQ is not in Austin, but in the smaller towns in the Hill Country.

Houston also has a ton of cycling activities, and has many many miles of cycling paths with their own right of way
We can all agree that it's completely subjective. There are plenty of reasons for someone to prefer Austin, and plenty of reasons for someone to prefer Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas