Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2012, 07:16 AM

8 posts, read 13,075 times

Advertisements

Hello All! My boyfriend and I are considering moving to Texas in the near future. We are currently living in Upstate New York where the taxes are ridiculous, the weather sucks, and the people aren't much better. We are planning a trip to TX in the summer to check things out and see how we like it. We live in the country here in NY where it's about a 15 min drive to a main town and a 30-45 min drive to a major city which we like and want to find a similar area in TX. We also know people that live near Lockhart whom are willing to take us in and show us around so that will likely be our first area to see. We both enjoy outdoor activities, going to the movies, out to eat, etc. I am a Licensed Veterinary Technician and my boyfriend works at Napa Auto Parts. If anyone could lend us some advice as far as what Lockhart and the surrounding areas are like, job opportunities, housing (we'd like to rent for a while first to make sure we like it then buy a house.) Any information would be great! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 09:20 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,633,404 times
I live in a similar situation here in East Texas as you do there. 15 minutes to the larger local town of 2200 and 50 minutes to where I work (pop 110,000 and local metro area of 250,000). I'm NE of Houston and 90 minutes to Bush Intercontinental Airport. I am bordered by thousands of acres of uninhabited (by humans) forests. I have to travel a bit for movies and different eating places (we have the usual mom&pops places and a few chains here).

All I know about Lockhart is the BarBQ rep and its on the Austin San Antonio corridor area, but its 5 hours from me.

Lots of animals(big and small) so finding a job shouldn't be too hard excluding the fact we have one of the nation's top vet schools nearby. Find the job 1st so you have that security of the job when you get here. My wife moved to Texas, from Canada, with nothing but a suitcase and a job promise.

Texas is beeg and varied ... from the humid forest of East Texas to the arid near deserts out west. Read and study these pages here on City-Data, there is a lot of info here in the archives.

Good luck and God bless!

Old 02-01-2012, 10:41 AM

good to know, thank you very much!

Old 02-01-2012, 11:18 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
We stopped in Lockhart in December just to eat bbq. The ribs at Smitty's were unreal. We ordered a to-go bag to take with us. Anyway, we walked a bit on the town square, and judging from appearances the town was well kept and pleasant. You aren't far from San Marcos if you need specialized medical care or just want to go shopping. And if you really need it, you are close to Austin. You are also close to Wimberley, which is a neat B&B town. And Luling - also known for bbq. That's all I know, but from first appearances, I liked the town.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:03 PM

yep I knew that Lockhart was known for it's BBQ but that was about it lol thank you for the input!

Old 02-02-2012, 06:11 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,711,475 times
many movies shot in Lockhart

Old 07-16-2012, 02:08 PM

5 posts, read 17,392 times
How funny! My dad is from upstate NY (and I actually just got back from vacation there 2 days ago), and am looking into relocating from West Texas to Lockhart. It seems like a great little town. However, let me warn you that you're in for a MAJOR change. Hopefully it'll be for the best though, Texas is an awesome state. Lockhart is not really that far away from major cities. Austin is only like 30 miles away. 30 miles in Texas time is like 30-40 mins, where I noticed in NY 30 miles means like an hour! And be prepared to replace Jrek's with some serious BBQ, 75 degree summer weather to 105+ degree summer weather, and daily rain to yearly rain. No state taxes like NY though! Good luck! Oh, and just curious, about where do you live upstate? My family is from Oswegatchie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas