U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 01:37 PM

81 posts, read 335,652 times

Advertisements

As I was saying in the now locked Odessa/Midland area City-Data thread, it looks like a fine, clean, and progressive place to me.

"Midland ranks 15th nationally in per capita personal income"

by Mella McEwen

Midland Reporter-Telegram
09/02/2007

MyWestTexas.com - Midland ranks 15th nationally in per capita personal income (http://www.mywesttexas.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18776156&BRD=2288&PAG=461&dept_id= 475626&rfi=6 - broken link)

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 03:30 PM

1,505 posts, read 3,997,117 times
I hate it when there is no link to the source data, so I went and found it. Here it is:

Personal Income for Metropolitan Areas, 2006

Here are all the metros of Texas in order from highest to lowest.

Midland, TX
Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX
Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX
Austin-Round Rock, TX
Tyler, TX
Wichita Falls, TX
Longview, TX
San Antonio, TX
Killeen-Temple-Fort Hood, TX
Victoria, TX
Beaumont-Port Arthur, TX
Corpus Christi, TX
Amarillo, TX
San Angelo, TX
Abilene, TX
Lubbock, TX
Odessa, TX
Waco, TX
Sherman-Denison, TX
College Station-Bryan, TX
El Paso, TX
Laredo, TX
Brownsville-Harlingen, TX
McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, TX

Last edited by Lucidus; 09-04-2007 at 03:54 PM..

Old 09-05-2007, 05:03 PM

5,080 posts, read 8,661,084 times
I wonder if the people who do these polls ever step foot in the places they poll to get a better idea of what they are talking about.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
I wonder if the people who do these polls ever step foot in the places they poll to get a better idea of what they are talking about.
These are not polls. This an analysis done by the U.S. Department of Commerce.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:09 PM

5,080 posts, read 8,661,084 times
Ok is it done by paper, or by actual field study? What is taken into account? What fields are covered? What I am getting at is, that I don't trust stuff like this, because all if these can be twisted to favor an area in some way.

But dont get me wrong.. thats great news if its true.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:11 PM

9,191 posts, read 20,088,909 times
Quote:
Ok is it done by paper, or by actual field study? What is taken into account? What fields are covered? What I am getting at is, that I don't trust stuff like this, because all if these can be twisted to favor an area in some way.

I know how you feel about Midland, so I can see why you would question this.

If they said that about a place you liked, you wouldn't even raise all this.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:16 PM

81 posts, read 335,652 times
The Federal government has access to boatloads of data including tax returns, etc.

The price of oil 2000 was $20/ bbl and now it's $75/bbl?

Old 09-06-2007, 06:41 AM

Quote:

I understand. The numbers for 2006 are in fact estimates. The hard numbers will not be available until 2008 for the year 2006. But the numbers for 2005 and 2004 are the hard numbers.

The report does not say what their exact methodology is but it does say that the personal income numbers are considered before taxes, deductions, etc. That would have me believe that they are coming from tax returns.

I think the estimates are reliable because they do not differ from the hard numbers of previous years. I also do not see any reason why the Department of Commerce would have motivation to favor Midland. I think the simplest and therefor most likely correct explanation is that per capita incomes are actually higher in Midland than in any other Texas city. It makes sense, with high incomes from mineral rights and the tight labor market in Midland.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:21 AM

2,027 posts, read 6,552,581 times
There are lots of very wealthy people in Midland. Midland is home to many of the top dogs in the oil field. President Bush even owned (may still own?) an oil company while in Midland. It is not the prettiest, the homes are not the largest, but Midland has some very wealthy people.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:32 AM

9,191 posts, read 20,088,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
There are lots of very wealthy people in Midland. Midland is home to many of the top dogs in the oil field. President Bush even owned (may still own?) an oil company while in Midland. It is not the prettiest, the homes are not the largest, but Midland has some very wealthy people.
No, Bush was never very successful in the oil business....and sold out sometime in the very early 80s, and left Midland at that time. He played his short-term Midland roots to the hilt in both elections, though.

Midland is booming once again, and there are those who did not learn the hard lessons from the boom-bust earlier. Many seem to be repeating the same mistakes once again, and are going to find themselves overextended once again if the bust is severe. The largest bank in town went under in 1984, so you KNEW it was bad!!

I hope that never happens again there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas