Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What City Has Best Texas Airport
Houston 29 31.87%
Dallas/Ft Worth 41 45.05%
San Antonio 4 4.40%
Austin 11 12.09%
El Paso 1 1.10%
Corpus Christi 0 0%
Brownsville 1 1.10%
Lubbock 0 0%
Amarillo 0 0%
Laredo 0 0%
Other 4 4.40%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 04:54 PM

674 posts, read 1,531,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Why is San Antonio on that list?
Have you ever been to that "airport"?
It's on the list because I wanted to include it and no I've never been to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 05:03 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,335,740 times
Quote:
Lol. Its a terrible airport. I picked DFW but I like IAH as well.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:06 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,786,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
The only airports I absolutely despise are Miami (by far the worst in my opinion especially for customs and immigration), Paris, and Sao Paulo.
Miami is horrible but not a quarter as bad as Puerto Rico. They have this I am not a state complex where they have to work double time to prove they can be even more responsible than ports of entry in the actual states.
It results in tons of missed connections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal2814 View Post
There's a huge difference flying from or through. From means you have to deal with parking, baggage check-in, baggage claim, and the security checkpoint(s). If you're flying through all you have to do is get from one gate to the next. Flying "from" I like DFW because when I get a ride I can be dropped off at the gate or if not I can park in Express and catch a pretty fast bus right to the terminal. There's nothing worse than somewhere like ATL where I have to trek a long distance carrying my carry-ons just to get to my gate.
Flying trough however, neither ATL nor DFW are ideal because of their sheer size. It's not terribly hard to get from one gate to the next, but if it's on a different terminal, you're taking the train/walkway at ATL or sky train at DFW.
I have sooo many ATL, DFW and MIA horror stories
I think because of the layout of IAH, getting from terminal to terminal isn't very hard
Quote:
I have not flown out of that airport since 2007, and I think they were doing an upgrade at the time.

Seemed kinda like third world at the time to me. The passport reader could not read a third of the passports....They had us removing our shoes only to be standing on cold concrete until we got scanned....

I would not rank that airport together with Hobby, Love or Austin airport....well hopefully it has improved

Old 02-10-2012, 05:08 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,605,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Having lived in both cities I have experience, what experience do you have with Houston residents?

One example for you, when I moved from Houston to Dallas, nearly every resident I met and know where I was from said....gosh I bet you are really happy to get out of Houston.... I said I like Dallas and Houston as well but miss a few things Houston had that Dallas doesnt. Dallas also has things Houston doesnt have.

When somone moves from Dallas to Houston the conversation is welcome to Houston....with no comment about Dallas.

Why do Dallas network weather maps not show Houston on them generally? Houston network weather maps always show Dallas on them?

Bottom line is Dallas believes its Houston big brother....Houston doesnt care what Dallas thinks or does..
This is off topic, but that is a huge generalization. I really dont think Dallas thinks its a brother or cousin or whatever to Houston.

I go to Houston all the time for work and I cannot tell you the number of Dallas bashing comments I hear every single time I go. I had one girl who refused to do business with me when she found out I was from Dallas. Its certainly in no way from the majority of people I run into, but if I visit 10 people one to three will say something.

Its a two way street. There is bashing on both ends and its pathetic from both. Overall, however both cities have their own thing going and are too preoccupied with themselves to truly care about the other.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:09 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,605,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
The big issue with DFW for someone flying through is the distance one may have to walk to get from arrival gate to departure gate. Also depends on airline, since bankrupt American gets favored gate treatment at DFW. I have had to walk from one end of one terminal to another at almost a run to make a 30 connection in DFW....that is unacceptable in a world class airport.
Why walk when you can ride? The Skylink train at DFW is one of the best in the world and it has stops within a 5 minute walk of any gate at DFW.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:36 PM

Related article:
Out of about 30 airports:

1. IAH and Hobby- You don’t have to be an oil baron to get the most out of Houston’s top-ranked airports—but it helps. The Texas city tops the charts for its VIP-friendly airline lounges, found mostly at George Bush Intercontinental (IAH). For everyone else, both IAH and Houston Hobby came in at No. 2 in the AFC survey for their food and drink (don’t miss the Tex-Mex or Cajun fare at local chains Pappasito’s and Pappadeaux) and second for entertainment—which may reflect that free WiFi. Best of all, Houston’s airports get the job done: they come in third place for on-time performance and second for their competent and down-home-friendly staff.

9. Austin- Austin-Bergstrom International Airport offers some of the best flavors of Texas’s Capital City: mini-branches of the Salt Lick barbecue and Maudie’s Tex-Mex, as well as live music performances. But it ranks highest with AFC readers for its airy atmosphere (No. 7 for design and functionality) and punctuality (No. 7 for on-time arrivals and departures).

10. San Antonio- San Antonio International Airport squeaks into the Top 10 on a variety of airport categories: on-time arrivals, transportation, and entertainment (No. 10). The last may stem from its free WiFi or the plentiful art to gawk at: murals, colorful skylights, an art installation imagining the contents of travelers’ suitcases, and (no surprise) some artistic renderings of the Alamo.

11. Atlanta- The bad news: Hartsfield-Jackson Airport ranks near the bottom—26th—for on-time arrivals and departures, and its staff ranks a troubling 19th for being on their game. The good news? No one seems to care. Travelers rank the giant hub fourth for both shopping and food and drinks—from Bulgari to hot muffulettas, and a lot of bars.

21. Miami- According to AFC readers, shopping (No. 9) is the highlight of a visit to Miami International Airport, with a healthy selection of art, jewelry, and retail options. That seems appropriate, though, in this stylish city (No. 2). Likewise, while the airport staff is not dazzling travelers with their efficiency (they rank 27th), they might be easy on the eyes: Miami ranks first for good-looking locals.

23. DFW- Getting around this rambling airport will drive home its Texas-size scale: the shuttle ride to the rental car center seems like it must cross a few county lines. That’s probably why DFW International ranks a lowly 26th for transportation. While in transit, you can think about how much hot sauce or Dallas Cowboys merchandise you want to buy (shopping ranks 18th)
America's Best and Worst Airports- Page 9 - Articles | Travel + Leisure

Kind of crappy list that Miami is ranked higher because of its terminal shopping seeing how low it is ranked for efficiency.

Makes you wonder at the priorities in these rankings. Wonder where Love would rank. They mentioned Hobby but not Love. Love must have just missed the top 50 cutoff.

DFW was ranked 27 the year before

Old 02-10-2012, 07:36 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,256,178 times
Dallas is Houston's butch little sister.

All airports suck.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:46 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,335,740 times
When I fly to South Florida, I fly to Fort Lauderdale. Forget MIA and that traffic nightmare.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Dallas is Houston's butch little sister.
Or maybe flamboyantly fem little brother who wears extravagant clothes and thinks himself a Diva and destined for Hollywood but in reality is less worldly than his modest big sister

Old 02-10-2012, 09:03 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,256,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Or maybe flamboyantly fem little brother who wears extravagant clothes and thinks himself a Diva and destined for Hollywood but in reality is less worldly than his modest big sister
True that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas