Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 11:40 AM

778 posts, read 2,321,986 times

Advertisements

I saw this thread and kinda LOL'ed at some things. So I guess I'll offer my insights.

I currently reside in OKC, but grew up in Plano up until 2004, then crossed the Red River to go to college. If you look at my name and think really hard, I bet you can figure out which one I went to!!

There's definitely a weird rivalry between the two. Okies up here have an image of Texans as arrogant a**holes. Texans view their northern neighbors as uncultured simpletons. Now, I've done quite a bit of travelling over the past 2 years, and honestly they are far more alike then they are different. Its similar to the NY/NJ thing. They claim that they are so different from each other, but put them together and most people outside the BosWash couldn't tell the difference.

The rivalry for some is taken waaaaay too seriously to some, but for a lot its simply good natured ribbing. With that in mind there are some subtle differences.

TX is far more urban and built up. No question there. The entire state of OK has less than 60% of the population of just DFW.

Both are culturally a southern/western hybrid, but TX has more Spanish/Mexican influence while OK has more Native American (with a dab of Midwest to go with it).

Most of its citizens lean right. TX more so economically, OK more socially. Although come election time, most people in both will be pulling the red lever.

I think OK toll roads are kind of a rip off; then I saw my parents NTTA bill. I now realize how good I have it!

I acutally find most parts of TX to be flatter than OK as a whole. There is a definite "rolling" quality to OK that you don't find in the prairies of TX. Driving from OKC to Dallas, by far the flattest stretch is from Denton to the Red River. North and west of OKC are pancake flat, but the Ouchitas and Kiamichis in SE OK are beautiful and lush. It blows the hill country out of the water IMO, unless semiarid is your thing. And while only technically "mountains" the Arbuckles and Wichitas have their own sublte prettiness. All aformentioned areas are packed with TX license plates come the summer.

The climate b/w the two differs way more than most would think. TX weather may get annoying but OK weather can be unstable and downright dangerous. We seem to get the extremes of whatever TX gets. When DFW was getting a little ice during the super bowl last year, we literally got DUMPED ON with 1 foot + of snow, 50mph winds, and wind chills of around -20 F. Sadly both TX and OK driver suck in the snow. Oh, and the tornados. I could write forever about those. Never in Plano did I see the local news chase tornados with helicopters on live tv! OK is much more prepared for extreme weather, but that doesn't make it easier. Homeowners, renters, and car insurance are all more up here simply due to the massive amount of weather related claims over the past few years.

As for me , I graduated in 2009, with the full intention of moving back to good ole Collin County. But with the economy cratering at the time and a job offer in OKC I stayed. I believe that in the future I will probably relocate back to DFW, especially with my parents getting older. I'm also a city kid at heart and while OKC and Tulsa have the expected amount of amenties for cities of their size, I still lament the big city things that I miss out on. With that in mind, OKC and Oklahoma have really grown on me. I've become a much more outdoor person here, despite the many numerous outdoor activies in TX. The people are wonderful, and the economy is doing very well right now. I am actually quite surprised how many former Texans I bump into. There are now actually watch parties for UT and A&M football up here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 02:33 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,612,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
Lol I've been all over the country idk how many times.
I guess I offended an Oklahoma resident. That's true though the transition from Arkansas into OK is nicer than other areas. I still stand by my other comments though.
I have lived in Texas all of my life. But it does irritate me when the entire purpose of someone's post is to talk trash about places or people they know little about.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:31 PM

26 posts, read 91,658 times
i was born in oklahoma-all my family lives there,as a young child i moved to california-and was raised there..
on summer vacations i visited my family in okla..
i reciently purchased property in texas-to be closer to them..
I reciently visited Texas and got to know some Texas residents...
frankly...honestly the two -okla and texas people are the same...
great hospitality...warm..giving...fun people...that's my opinion..

Old 02-06-2012, 06:28 PM

393 posts, read 1,114,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Aside from that...
Which would you choose to be called - a Texan, or an Okie?
How did I get stuck with that choice?!

Um, well, I've lived in Texas for 15 years, and I've spent maybe a week overnight, a few days at a time, in Oklahoma. I prefer Texas to Oklahoma. However, I'm not anything like either Texans or Okies.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:37 PM

393 posts, read 1,114,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
You obviously don't get out much, and have never visited SE Oklahoma. Beautiful country.
Turner Falls outside of Davis, Oklahoma, is the most scenic spot I have found within 150 miles of Dallas. My hiking and camping groups enjoy our trips up there. Where else am I going to find a 70-foot tall natural waterfall?

Old 02-06-2012, 08:09 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,893,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griff09m View Post
Enlighten me. I've lived in Texas for five years now and been to Oklahoma several times. To someone like me, who is not a native, there doesn't seem to be a lick of difference between the two places. Texas has more variety, true, but it seems that, culturally speaking, you could merge the two and few would notice.
Am I wrong? Tell me why.
.... really? .... REALLY?

I mean,

Culturally speaking, we have way more diversity than you do. Look at Houston's large Asian population or the gay/"metrosexual" scene in Dallas. And do I even have to get into the Hispanic population? Both of those cities having an

Fort Worth by itself has arguably one of the best collections of museums in the country. San Antonio is filled with classic Spanish missions (not JUST the Alamo). Austin, seen as the youngest, coolest, most Liberal and "wierd" city in the South (arguable). And with the amount of people from different states/countries moving here adding to this state's already huge population, Texas will be more culturally diverse than Oklahoma for a while.

It's good you aknowledged that Texas has more variety, because really, the only true similarity between the two states is that they're both doing pretty well in this economy. That's it.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:39 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,981,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griff09m View Post
Enlighten me. I've lived in Texas for five years now and been to Oklahoma several times. To someone like me, who is not a native, there doesn't seem to be a lick of difference between the two places. Texas has more variety, true, but it seems that, culturally speaking, you could merge the two and few would notice.
Am I wrong? Tell me why.
Texas is way more diverse & has way more Hispanics & Blacks.

Oklahoma is more White & American Indian. Its cities are flourishing even in this down economy.

Texas cities overall just feel more modern & "with it".

Old 02-07-2012, 08:44 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
Heh, as much as it pays me to type it, I have to generally agree with #1Soonerfan .

Old 02-07-2012, 09:26 AM

64 posts, read 104,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
You obviously don't get out much, and have never visited SE Oklahoma. Beautiful country.

Differences? More Injuns in OK.
I’m a native Texan and love both states. ’Tis true about the politics and religious nonsense as mentioned in a previous post but that’s easy to ignore.

SE OK as well as NE OK is beautiful country. Tulsa reminds me of Austin in alot of way, old Austin before the californication and carpet baggers. Been camping all over OK and can’t say that I’ve had a bad experience... well, maybe one summer at the salt lake in northwest OK... think it got up to 112 that day. Matter of fact, I think the OK parks and wildlife take better care of their park system than Texas but hey...

There are differences, due mainly to regional influences and the various cultures present. Right on Oklahomas’ got more injuns! Pow Wows are a must see and a blast. Have played with some musician friends in Guthrie and had a great time - cool town.

All in all, Oklahoma is yet another nice thing about being an American!

Old 02-08-2012, 09:32 AM

41 posts, read 151,015 times
JJG, not really sure what you're deal is. I'm not from Oklahoma, so I'm not sure why you are talking like I am. I sounds like, though, that there is a difference for people who think of Texas in terms of the big cities. I am usually in West Texas, and up in the panhandle there's not all that much diversity. You cross over into OK and I'm telling you, there's not a lick of difference.
#1soonerfan, what you're describing is what I've experienced. I think the New York/New Jersey comparison is a good one. I think that TX and OK share a common culture, which makes them hate each other all the more! It's like twin brothers who are always fighting. It boggles the mind to outsiders, who clearly see that Oklahoma could be grafted onto Texas and few would notice but for the license plates and the ridiculous college football rivalries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas