Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 08:40 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,614,872 times

Advertisements

I would say that homes in at least 90% of urban and suburban neighborhoods have fenced back yards. I have no idea where you're getting this idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 09:36 AM

28 posts, read 61,168 times
Default It must be by city/region

Thanks to everyone who posted a reply. Sorry if I upset anyone. I wasn't trying to insult Texas or anyone who lives there. Where I'm from there just seems to be fences EVERYWHERE. It feels very odd to me to walk out into a back yard and there be no privacy fencing.

Also, being from Oregon, spending most of my time on the coast, I can tell myself yes Texas has a drought but it's simply not the first response I make, being there is so much water in Oregon to go around - all the time.

Now I was primarily looking in the Wichita Falls area and most of the neighborhoods I've been looking at were lower income, around $20k for houses or less. At least the houses I shop for are priced around there.

It sounds like it just depends on the city/region on fencing. And it makes sense that grass wouldn't be watered in a drought. I will say, that one house on the block, the only one with a bright green yard, really looked odd.

Thanks again.

cm

Old 02-13-2012, 09:40 AM

393 posts, read 1,114,927 times
Not every home in Texas has privacy fencing. Chain link is popular, too.

All the homes in my neighborhood in Plano have fencing, 99% with privacy fencing.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:02 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmabc123 View Post
Thanks to everyone who posted a reply. Sorry if I upset anyone. I wasn't trying to insult Texas or anyone who lives there. Where I'm from there just seems to be fences EVERYWHERE. It feels very odd to me to walk out into a back yard and there be no privacy fencing.

Also, being from Oregon, spending most of my time on the coast, I can tell myself yes Texas has a drought but it's simply not the first response I make, being there is so much water in Oregon to go around - all the time.

Now I was primarily looking in the Wichita Falls area and most of the neighborhoods I've been looking at were lower income, around $20k for houses or less. At least the houses I shop for are priced around there.

It sounds like it just depends on the city/region on fencing. And it makes sense that grass wouldn't be watered in a drought. I will say, that one house on the block, the only one with a bright green yard, really looked odd.

Thanks again.

cm
I think your original post was rather silly. Texas is an enormous state. Why on earth would to try to associate what you found in Wichita Falls with the entire state? Oregon has fewer people than Houston alone does.

Different communities within a mid-size city in Texas may have different rules about fences due to HOA restrictions.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:15 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
Cm,

Having been on the south plains for most of forty years, I know what you are looking at. I have a small rental house in Muleshoe, Texas that's close to your price range. It sits on a half-city block and has no fence and never has had one. No one in that neighborhood has fences in front or in back of their houses.

What most folks here are probably talking about are the neighborhoods where homes are selling for $75,000 and upward and are closer together. As opposed to the Muleshoe house, my old mid-1980s house (then about $39,000, now about $120,000?) in SW Lubbock had a rear yard privacy made of cedar from the time it was built.

Water is a tough issue right now in parts of Texas. All the grass, and even the weeds, on my Texas south plains farm are dead. I mowed once in 2011 and only because I bought some grassland that hadn't been mowed in probably 30 years.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:42 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
It can cost $2,000 - $3,000 to put up a wood privacy fence around a small yard, more if jackhammers are needed to remove the rock for post holes. Not many $20K homeowners can afford that. Much less pay for enough water during a drought to keep the grass green.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:59 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,632,596 times
Quote:
Hi,

I've been looking at residential real estate online for awhile now and I've noticed that few houses have fenced yards. I'm doing this by taking the listed address, putting it in Google maps and using the street view to tool around the area and see what it looks like, check proximity to stores, etc.

It seems as if most people do not water their grass and have no fences. One one block I was looking at only one person had green grass and it really stood out from everyone else. Is the lack of fencing typical in Texas? I'm from Oregon and it seems like EVERYONE has fences or hedges or something to define the boundaries.

It doesn't matter to be personally but I was just curious if I moved to Texas would I be looked at as strange to put up a fence?

Thanks,

cm

Texas is a big place.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:41 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
It can cost $2,000 - $3,000 to put up a wood privacy fence around a small yard, more if jackhammers are needed to remove the rock for post holes. Not many $20K homeowners can afford that. Much less pay for enough water during a drought to keep the grass green.
You beat me to it

Now you will see a lot of places with the back yard only fenced, our current neighbor and our old neighbor hood was/is this way.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:24 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,818,525 times
Quote:
That explains a bit. A nice privacy fence in that area could run you over 25% of the value of the house.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:52 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,737,640 times
A lot of upscale suburban developments with large lots also prohibit privacy fencing in the HOA bylaws. I used to live in such a neighborhood. They would allow decorative metal fences but not the standard cedar privacy fence because they wanted to maintain the open ranch-like feel of the neighborhood. Of course those types of neighborhoods are not really what you are talking about and the large lot size and landscaping is what people us for privacy rather than fencing. For example. No fences are allowed in this subdivision near Waco:

210 White Tail Creek Dr China Spring TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #143245 - Realtor.com®
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas