Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2012, 06:26 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,605,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
First of all, to be "World famous" you need an international airport with non-stop flights to other countries (besides Mexico). Austin falls flat on its face there. It has a decent (not great) regional airport that's it. Austin is not a cosmopolitan city like Houston & Dallas. Its just not there quite yet.

Top Destinations from Austin's Bergstrom International Airport:

1. D/FW
2. IAH
3. Denver
4. Dallas Love Field
5. Atlanta
6. Phoenix
7. LAX
8. Chicago
9. Houston Hobby
10. Las Vegas

New York, San Francisco, Seattle, & Miami aren't even in the top 10. LOL
I take it you've never been here during SXSW bands from all over the country and world come for SXSW which is all downtown at the bars and clubs i'll bet if you tried to get a hotel room in Austin the next 2 weeks they would be all booked that's how busy it gets here.

List of bands playing SXSW

Announced Bands | sxsw.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 01:06 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,951,191 times
Quote:
Austin's downtown is NOT world famous. Outside of Texas & Oklahoma not many people have ever heard of 6th Street. Sorry, but its true. There is nothing remotely touristy about Downtown Austin except the state captial.

Now Downtown New Orleans that place IS world famous.
Yeah. I must have imagined that there was a tv program from there. It must have been called Houston or Dallas City Limits..........

I remember reading in Rolling Stone where Jack White played a free concert in a parking lot in downtown Dallas during their world famous music festival SXSW. Oh, and the other article where QOTSA kicked off their tour with a free unounced show at a random bar in Houston. Wait......those things happened in AUSTIN.

But you guys are right, nobody reads Rolling Stone or watches tv. There is no way anybody has ever heard of 6th Street. Especially not Robert Rodriguez or Quentin Tarantino. Probably nobody has seen any of the films on this list:

Movies filmed in Austin, Texas

Silly me.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:14 AM

20,501 posts, read 33,325,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown lover View Post
Austin! You can forget about Dallas and Houston unless you want to be bored to dead.
Dude, you do realize there are other parts of a city other than downtown, right?

Old 03-04-2012, 01:21 AM

16,505 posts, read 26,102,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
Yeah. I must have imagined that there was a tv program from there. It must have been called Houston or Dallas City Limits..........

I remember reading in Rolling Stone where Jack White played a free concert in a parking lot in downtown Dallas during their world famous music festival SXSW. Oh, and the other article where QOTSA kicked off their tour with a free unounced show at a random bar in Houston. Wait......those things happened in AUSTIN.

But you guys are right, nobody reads Rolling Stone or watches tv. There is no way anybody has ever heard of 6th Street. Especially not Robert Rodriguez or Quentin Tarantino. Probably nobody has seen any of the films on this list:

Movies filmed in Austin, Texas

Silly me.
Majority of Americans don't know about 6th St at all.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:42 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,857,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Majority of Americans don't know about 6th St at all.
Agreed

Outside of Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, & select parts of Louisiana (mainly Shreveport & Lake Charles), not many people have heard of or been to Austin's 6th Street.

Its more of a Texas & to some extent regional thing for the college age crowd.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 03-04-2012 at 01:56 AM..

Old 03-04-2012, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Agreed

Outside of Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, & select parts of Louisiana (mainly Shreveport & Lake Charles), not many people have heard of or been to Austin's 6th Street.

Its more of a Texas & to some extent regional thing for the college age crowd.
Prior to moving to Houston I had never heard of it, but our party destination was overwhelmingly NOLA, then the gulf beaches. It's a more regional attraction. National and international attention will just turn it into another Bourbon St, keep Austin weird! You'll be the old guy saying "I remember when.."

Old 03-04-2012, 11:48 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,252,691 times
Aside from New Orleans and maybe Miami, I don't think any city in the south is world FAMOUS. Houston, Dallas, and Austin all have global recognition, though, I'm sure.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Aside from New Orleans and maybe Miami, I don't think any city in the south is world FAMOUS. Houston, Dallas, and Austin all have global recognition, though, I'm sure.
Orlando and to an extent Atlanta because of the Olympics.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:04 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,252,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Orlando and to an extent Atlanta because of the Olympics.
Disney World is famous; not Orlando. Atlanta has global recognition, but I wouldn't say that it's worldwide FAME.

Think about it: how many of the Olympic cities of the last 20 years can you name without skipping a beat? I bet the average person would have to think for a second about where the '96 games were held.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Disney World is famous; not Orlando. Atlanta has global recognition, but I wouldn't say that it's worldwide FAME.

Think about it: how many of the Olympic cities of the last 20 years can you name without skipping a beat? I bet the average person would have to think for a second about where the '96 games were held.
Many people relate Dismey World directly to Orlando. I can understand Atlanta but it definitely has global recognition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas