Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 08:07 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkispoison View Post
Give what up? Houston's posters blindness to anything outside of Houston. I lived in 26 years and I've never heard of the Houston rodeo. I could give a **** less about rodeos and country music. But I've been going to SXSW since I was 17.
That's bologna, no way you live here that long and never heard of the Rodeo. I could give a crap less about your alternative rock noise at SXSW, Houston Rodeo trumps. Like I said, get over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 08:27 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
SXSX, Rodeo, State Fair are all different kinds of events that aren't all that comparable.

For permanent cultural standings (museums for example), Houston wins. For periodic cultural events such as music/film festivals, Austin wins. Hard to argue against this. Though as others have noted, Houston is catching up with FPSF, snagging a Sundance and Tribecca.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:54 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,772,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
That's bologna, no way you live here that long and never heard of the Rodeo. I could give a crap less about your alternative rock noise at SXSW, Houston Rodeo trumps. Like I said, get over it.
And I could give a crap about your mainstream country and Top 40 garbage, so SXSW trumps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
SXSX, Rodeo, State Fair are all different kinds of events that aren't all that comparable.

For permanent cultural standings (museums for example), Houston wins. For periodic cultural events such as music/film festivals, Austin wins. Hard to argue against this. Though as others have noted, Houston is catching up with FPSF, snagging a Sundance and Tribecca.
Agreed. Glad we see eye to eye on this!

Old 03-07-2012, 01:22 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
Agreed. Glad we see eye to eye on this!
I started the whole rodeo talk, but I agree with sxrckr too. Austin is bigger for music activities. I never disagreed with that.

Why I brought up the Rodeo is because one poster said that SXSW was the biggest cultural event in Texas. That was way wrong. The Rodeo and a few other Texas events are way bigger than SXSW.

Few if any would disagree that Austin has the bigger music events, but Austin needs to learn that there are other cultural events in Texas too. These events may not appeal to them, but it appeals to a lot of other people.

Houston Rodeo, Fiesta San Antonio, The Texas Fair all draw huge crowds.

Fiesta is the most fun major Texas Cultural event I have been to. I have not been to the Texas State Fair, but from what Dallasboi described I think Fiesta would still be more fun.

Each of these events have their types of people they attract

Old 03-07-2012, 01:59 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,772,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I started the whole rodeo talk, but I agree with sxrckr too. Austin is bigger for music activities. I never disagreed with that.

Why I brought up the Rodeo is because one poster said that SXSW was the biggest cultural event in Texas. That was way wrong. The Rodeo and a few other Texas events are way bigger than SXSW.

Few if any would disagree that Austin has the bigger music events, but Austin needs to learn that there are other cultural events in Texas too. These events may not appeal to them, but it appeals to a lot of other people.

Houston Rodeo, Fiesta San Antonio, The Texas Fair all draw huge crowds.

Fiesta is the most fun major Texas Cultural event I have been to. I have not been to the Texas State Fair, but from what Dallasboi described I think Fiesta would still be more fun.

Each of these events have their types of people they attract
Agreed, with the caveat that attendance does not purely indicate the importance and national/global reach of a given cultural event.

The State Fair and the Houston Rodeo appeal to me too, but for different reasons, I wouldn't go to them just for the music. I used to go to the Rodeo with my fam back when it was in the Astrodome and it was a blast. I've not been to Fiesta but just read up on it, sounds fun. The State Fair never disappoints. My comparison in this thread has pretty much been about the music aspect.

Overall Texas definitely knows how to put on a great festival!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas