Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 11:05 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,285,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post
It makes me happy to know I'm not the only one who gets a grin out of that type of advertising.

Do you remember the series of public service ads for the "Don't Mess With Texas" campaign that ran on TV several years ago? I haven't seen them in a long time, but they would feature some of the most colorful characters in Texas such as Willie Nelson, and they were usually very funny and well-produced. Every time I'd see one of those, I'd smile.

And one more, there's a bank that had a TV ad showing people driving slowly on a country road, doing the casual index-finger wave as they passed other cars. The classic country thing to do. The ad just showed a couple scenes like that, no music or anything, and then they say "We Speak Texan." I loved that!

Very few people from outside Texas would understand why these silly things are meaningful to those of us who are sentimental about Texas.
I remember those "Don't Mess With Texas" ads! I've heard outsiders deride Texans because of that slogan. They don't realize that it's the anti-litter campaign slogan. Or maybe they do. I think it fits Texas perfectly, however you want to take it!

Anyway, the one that says "We Speak Texan" that you mentioned is for Frost Bank. They are a Texas bank and I have to say, I've been disillusioned with my megabank lately and thinking of switching to Frost on account of their commercials!

How about the one from a couple years ago (maybe it was only in the DFW area?) about an ad for trucks that started with the voiceover saying something like, "Y'all are fixin to see a huge Texas deal!" Well, the first part is accurate but the point is, I loved those! Wish they'd bring them back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 11:29 AM

609 posts, read 2,117,366 times
Texas might consider less money and time spent on sports and more on schools and education. Its called priorities.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:58 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,597,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregandvicky View Post
Texas might consider less money and time spent on sports and more on schools and education. Its called priorities.
It can also be called throwing money at a problem and never getting a return in dividends. Some of the places that spend, per capita, the most money on "education" produce the worst the system has to offer.

And by the way, I am a public school teacher.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:14 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,768,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregandvicky View Post
I fell asleep while reading your post. What were you saying?

Oh, I think I get it.... "Texas is a bad state because Bush is from here and people like football in Texas."

OK. Got it. Heard that one before I moved here in 1990. Got anything new?

Old 09-15-2007, 08:53 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,597,707 times
Quote:

Oh, I think I get it.... "Texas is a bad state because Bush is from here and people like football in Texas."

Old 09-15-2007, 09:15 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,398,571 times
Quote:

LOL!!!

Old 09-15-2007, 09:41 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,768,271 times
I'm glad people are getting a kick out of my sarcastic pro-Texas comments. On the other hand, while we enjoy our football and laid-back lifestyle, we do need to address a lot of social problems such as health care, education, illegal immigration, water rights, land use controls, transportation breakdowns ---- Texas has a lot of problems.

But football is not one of them. I think it was Fidel Castro who once said "If you can't feed the people, give them a parade." Football is our parade, and I resent anyone who wants to rain on it.

Old 09-15-2007, 02:41 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,102 times
amen!
yeppers, Texas, like all the other states has its problems, but to me it is paradise (and i have lived in Hawaii and would take Texas over Hawaii ANY day).....

Quote:
I'm glad people are getting a kick out of my sarcastic pro-Texas comments. On the other hand, while we enjoy our football and laid-back lifestyle, we do need to address a lot of social problems such as health care, education, illegal immigration, water rights, land use controls, transportation breakdowns ---- Texas has a lot of problems.

But football is not one of them. I think it was Fidel Castro who once said "If you can't feed the people, give them a parade." Football is our parade, and I resent anyone who wants to rain on it.

Old 09-15-2007, 02:54 PM

791 posts, read 2,222,151 times
I'm hearing comments that 'Texas' needs to address education, health care, and immigration as well as a number of other issues, probly to numerous to name, depending on the complainer.

I also hear a number of public figures who want to control those issues making claims that the federal government needs to take care of them.

So, which is it? State function or federal interference. Whoops... I guess that tells what I think...

Old 09-15-2007, 03:18 PM

48 posts, read 291,540 times
I was born in Dallas and live in Ft Worth now, and have traveled all over the country. I have never seen state pride as strong or as visable in any other state. Maybe I just havn't been to the right states yet, but I have been to a bunch of them.
I had a roommate once and we had a Texas flag and a topigraphical map of Texas on the wall and we started adding little things we found with Texas or the flag on them. Lighters, coffee cups, ashtrays, beer bottles etc. Our girlfriends started bringing us Texas stuff and friends started bringing Texas related articals to parties. We started to call it the Shrine to Texas....lol
Anyway, I like the bottle, but don't drink the beer. I love Texas football and the best game this weekend is likely to be Southlake Carrol Dragons vs Richland on ESPN2. Oh and the Cowboys play sunday too.

Last edited by colt357_2000; 09-15-2007 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: oops had girlfiend instead of girlfiends plural we didn't share everything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas