Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 08:53 PM

3 posts, read 8,275 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

A little background on myself....I currently am an American living in Mexico and running my own restaurant. I love it. However I REALLY miss the U.S. We visit Laredo sometimes and love it. But we would really like to own a farm of some type in Texas. I like the gun laws and that most people at least near the border are hispanic. Wifey is Mexican and want her to feel more at home there. I like no income tax. However what we have seen of Laredo...it is awful hot in summer and pretty deserticky...

Have not explored other areas of Texas but wifey and I want to know does it get anywhere with lush greens? It seems to me having a small family farm in Laredo would be difficult to grow things in the sand.

Can anyone help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 08:57 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,403,116 times
Some nice land west of Houston along the Brazos River. Hilly with huge hardwood trees especially Pecan trees. It is very pretty around Fulshear or just west of it as that area is developing. Property to farm is probably too expensive as Houston moves toward it. But my point is there are lush green areas of land in Texas..also along the coast or down along US59 is some lush land as well which is more affordable.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:20 PM

393 posts, read 1,114,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botzwana View Post
Hi all!

A little background on myself....I currently am an American living in Mexico and running my own restaurant. I love it. However I REALLY miss the U.S. We visit Laredo sometimes and love it. But we would really like to own a farm of some type in Texas. I like the gun laws and that most people at least near the border are hispanic. Wifey is Mexican and want her to feel more at home there. I like no income tax. However what we have seen of Laredo...it is awful hot in summer and pretty deserticky...

Have not explored other areas of Texas but wifey and I want to know does it get anywhere with lush greens? It seems to me having a small family farm in Laredo would be difficult to grow things in the sand.

Can anyone help?
Agriculture is one of the largest market segments in Texas, worth billions annually. We have a wide variety of agricultural regions. However, most of the state is in extreme drought. Even the rice farms, that have relied on irrigation for decades, are going to be cut off this year. All is not lost, however. Regions of East and North Texas have abundant water.

You might check out San Angelo. It is in the middle of an agricultural area.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:08 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,629,527 times
Any where east of Inerstate 45 would probably fit your description of "lush trees and foliage". Some areas even west of that line would satisfy that. I live 100 miles NNE of Houston on 50 acres that can be quite luscious. I'd think the type of farm you desire could dictate your final location. You should consider climate, annual rainfall averages, types of soil, and what you want to grow!

Our soil is sandy loam here but I only farm about 2 of my 50 acres. Most of the rest is heavily forested with mixed hardwood and pine timber and with a 2 acre spring fed lake (which survived last year's drought nicely)! Our little peice of heaven. This description can be duplicated all over the area I described above and in many areas east of I-35. As said above the further west one goes in Texas the terms of "lucious trees and foliage" become harder to find as a descriptive area.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:49 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,049,969 times
You can pick the percipitation amounts you want in Texas. East is wetter.

And the soils, Blackland Prairie is supposed to be very good farming land.

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/geo/pics/txphysio.jpg

Old 02-23-2012, 11:53 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,949,008 times
Rgv.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:03 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,612,395 times
For "lush greens" you'll need to be in East Texas. Your wife should still feel at home since there are lots of Mexicans in most parts of the state.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:06 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,264,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
You can pick the percipitation amounts you want in Texas. East is wetter.

And the soils, Blackland Prairie is supposed to be very good farming land.

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/geo/pics/txphysio.jpg
I'm in the red and I wished we got 14" of rain

Anyhow, timber land can run you 5,000-10,000 an acre...I'm talking actual trees and not 10' bushes.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:57 PM

3 posts, read 7,316 times
I've been looking for land near San Antonio and most the farmers I talk to just say stay east of I35. As you can see from the map most areas east of I35 get decent amounts of rain on average. You wont be able to find the super low rates of west texas desert land, but you can find raw land for 3-4K an acre in rural areas.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:28 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,403,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jostle View Post
I've been looking for land near San Antonio and most the farmers I talk to just say stay east of I35. As you can see from the map most areas east of I35 get decent amounts of rain on average. You wont be able to find the super low rates of west texas desert land, but you can find raw land for 3-4K an acre in rural areas.
The hill country starts a little west of I35 near SA too, well more like 10 mies west of DT SA. Seems like the land gets less fertile and less rain can be the big difference in E vs W side of SA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas