Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 03:53 PM

638 posts, read 568,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1953 View Post
In Dallas you are a fan of man. In Dallas you absourb all the learning from your coworkers from Oklahoma Arkansas Mexico etc. You learn black history, Mexican history, poor West Texans. In Dallas you are a fan of man.
I may be dirt poor. We came close to starving to death in Coleman. But I have educated myself as best I could. I have a BBA from North Texas, Master from Texas Tech. I am not a illiterate man. I understand things and try to serve man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2019, 04:07 PM

638 posts, read 568,394 times
I worked Dallas. I worked Big Spring. If you think those are different places I can tell you are wrong. Both adore man to the extreme. Dallas is intellectual but Big Spring maybe more. I loved Turtle Creek Manor, Phoenix House in Dallas. But compared to Big Spring State Hospital Community Services and TRC Big Spring tare equals.

Old 10-26-2019, 03:26 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,419,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1953 View Post
I worked Big Spring, Dallas. Big Spring was just slightly my favorite. I did adore Dallas let there be no confusion. I worked A Dallas Field Office.You work in Dallas you learn so much. We in Big Spring were scientistist. We protected our people to our death. We served man there.
I kinda like Big Spring myself, although being a big-city kind of person, I would prefer Dallas (or Houston or SA, or Austin).

I apologize, but I couldn't help but laugh at what came to my mind upon reading "We served man there". It reminded me of an episode of the original Twilight Zone TV show in which helpful aliens came to earth, carrying a book that was difficult for us to translate. The title was "To Serve Man" ... and it turned out to be a cookbook! :-)

Old 10-28-2019, 11:38 PM

560 posts, read 436,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Alpine, Fort Davis or Marfa...if I could find a place I liked.
^ This. (real) Mountains or bust. None of that poser hill country stuff either (friendly quip). And Alpine / Fort Davis has them, not very many but it does have them.

The rest of the state Big Bend notwithstanding is pretty boring, flat and uninteresting. Saint Augustine and east / southeast to the AR border is nice if you like trees, foliage and getting actual precip--flat but lots of beautiful trees and foliage.

Almost 40 years living here in Texas all over and I can honestly say I won't miss it when we move away here soon. I'd love to find a topic about places you wouldn't want to live. That would be interesting!

Old 10-30-2019, 04:45 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,082,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post
^ This. (real) Mountains or bust. None of that poser hill country stuff either (friendly quip). And Alpine / Fort Davis has them, not very many but it does have them.

The rest of the state Big Bend notwithstanding is pretty boring, flat and uninteresting. Saint Augustine and east / southeast to the AR border is nice if you like trees, foliage and getting actual precip--flat but lots of beautiful trees and foliage.

Almost 40 years living here in Texas all over and I can honestly say I won't miss it when we move away here soon. I'd love to find a topic about places you wouldn't want to live. That would be interesting!
Before you leave Texas, take lone last LONGER tour off the beaten path, F.M. to market roads of Northeast Texas. I can take you to 10 or more areas, from near Palestine to Rusk, West to East, then due North through the scenic pull over on U.S. 69 just north of Jacksonville, a 30-35 mile view, with a new R.V. Park, with a view, that rent for $500-$900 per month, continue on North for about 10 miles of "fairly" steep rolling hills, not really "flat" land at all.

Then North of Longview, on up to Arkansas, is not flat. Steeper hills, with an area, with tongue in cheek, is called "mountains" by the locals, NOT, lol, anything but "flat". A hobby of mine is driving around with 50-60 miles of Tyler, in the last year, I have found scenic areas, with curved, hilly, driving, with meadows, yes trees, then clearing and beautiful areas.

You pointed out the St. Augustine, North to Northeast to the AR border is heavily treed, too much, and not as "hilly" as to enjoy the view, areas I listed are far better, just saying.

Enjoy your move from Texas. Best to you.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:21 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,375,514 times
Lubbock right now would be next move.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Lubbock right now would be next move.
Just gotta ask, Waco, Austin, other places have been considered by you? Why, as you say. Lubbock, right now? You really don't want to move, or really not serious about a move, right? Just thinking and talking about it, as if one day, you just might move somewhere? Right?

What was wrong with all the other past "possibilities" and why Lubbock, now? What's the next city, on your maybe list?

Old 11-13-2019, 12:13 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,267,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post

I'm originally from the Golden Triangle in SE Tx. If you are looking at current conditions, I guarantee that a top 10 worst places list would be dominated by cities from that region.

But on the flip side, I love Fredericksburg. Brenham is cool, too, and it is close/far enough from Houston.

Old 11-14-2019, 01:34 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,375,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Just gotta ask, Waco, Austin, other places have been considered by you? Why, as you say. Lubbock, right now? You really don't want to move, or really not serious about a move, right? Just thinking and talking about it, as if one day, you just might move somewhere? Right?

What was wrong with all the other past "possibilities" and why Lubbock, now? What's the next city, on your maybe list?
I am considering Lubbock if my parents stay in West Texas.it has Tech and a good christian college so those are other reasons why im considering it.....it also has a much lower cost of living than where I live.I am very serious about moving and I would move if i could but i cant because my oil company hasnt started making me money yet.I want to move everyday so bad.I dont like Midland anymore.

I am considering Abilene,San Angelo,Amarillo,Corpus,El Paso, Waco,Lubbock for short term moves depending on where i am in life at the time.I would be more inclined to go to Waco if parents moved to the Hill Country/Austin suburbs.I would like to settle in the Austin suburbs/Hill Country after i find the right woman.I am leaning more towards Lubbock than Abilene because Abilene is a stagnant town.Also, i hear Lubbock is nicer than Waco but Waco is still a possiblity if im single.

Old 11-14-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I am considering Lubbock if my parents stay in West Texas.it has Tech and a good christian college so those are other reasons why im considering it.....it also has a much lower cost of living than where I live.I am very serious about moving and I would move if i could but i cant because my oil company hasnt started making me money yet.I want to move everyday so bad.I dont like Midland anymore.

I am considering Abilene,San Angelo,Amarillo,Corpus,El Paso, Waco,Lubbock for short term moves depending on where i am in life at the time.I would be more inclined to go to Waco if parents moved to the Hill Country/Austin suburbs.I would like to settle in the Austin suburbs/Hill Country after i find the right woman.I am leaning more towards Lubbock than Abilene because Abilene is a stagnant town.Also, i hear Lubbock is nicer than Waco but Waco is still a possiblity if im single.
Thanks, finally, I understand all your previous posts. Thanks for sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas