Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city will make the most dramatic Change in its core?
Dallas 57 24.36%
Houston 103 44.02%
Austin 48 20.51%
San Antonio 26 11.11%
Voters: 234. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 03:45 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times

Advertisements

Despite being closer to Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, and Corpus, the climate and terrain of Houston most closely resembles New Orleans, Mobile and even the Florida Panhandle. I'd say the Brazos River serves as the dividing line for these two regions.

Culturally, Houston is a cross between South Texas and South Louisiana, with many parallels to both. Tejano is commonly heard around town, but so is zydeco.

The Golden Triangle is really the only area which defies almost every typically Texan trait there is. There are still more Blacks than Mexicans there, and there are more French descendants than Germans.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:10 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times
Drove around the core of Houston recently and I am just awestruck.

The buffalo bayou and memorial park project. Three residential areas developing downtown and all the new buildings changing the skyline. The Hardy Yards project to the North, the East End is rapidly transitioning. Midtown is rapidly filling in. The Med Center is like doubled in size. Rice Village is booming with residential high rises and new retail, Montrose and West of Downtown has crazy new construction. Then talking about retail that cluster of Highland Village, River Oaks Dustrict, Blvd Place and the Galleria is just something else. Entire avenues have changed. Washington, Westheimer, Kirby, Richmond, San Felipe, Post Oak,.... the Core of Houston has changed so much. Looks fantastic.

610 through uptown looks completely different from 10 years ago. Completely different city. Heck it looks like it could be it's own city.

Downtown I am happy that there are so many residential towers going up. Didn't see much improvement in retail downtown, but I guess that is coming next. Hotels, wow, so many new projects. The activity there should be awesome for the superbowl. Downtown too seems cleaner, more polished than I remember. Even the Bayou, with the new paths and the greenery, looks more appealing.

Great job Houston.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:50 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Drove around the core of Houston recently and I am just awestruck.

The buffalo bayou and memorial park project. Three residential areas developing downtown and all the new buildings changing the skyline. The Hardy Yards project to the North, the East End is rapidly transitioning. Midtown is rapidly filling in. The Med Center is like doubled in size. Rice Village is booming with residential high rises and new retail, Montrose and West of Downtown has crazy new construction. Then talking about retail that cluster of Highland Village, River Oaks Dustrict, Blvd Place and the Galleria is just something else. Entire avenues have changed. Washington, Westheimer, Kirby, Richmond, San Felipe, Post Oak,.... the Core of Houston has changed so much. Looks fantastic.

610 through uptown looks completely different from 10 years ago. Completely different city. Heck it looks like it could be it's own city.

Downtown I am happy that there are so many residential towers going up. Didn't see much improvement in retail downtown, but I guess that is coming next. Hotels, wow, so many new projects. The activity there should be awesome for the superbowl. Downtown too seems cleaner, more polished than I remember. Even the Bayou, with the new paths and the greenery, looks more appealing.

Great job Houston.
Great post!

I was in East End or EaDo on Friday, and I was quite impressed with it. Houston really needs to develop this area into an urban yet quirky haven.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:14 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Great post!

I was in East End or EaDo on Friday, and I was quite impressed with it. Houston really needs to develop this area into an urban yet quirky haven.
A good sign is that they are developing affordable housing in that area. I was shocked at all the Uber luxury complexes going up all across the city. It's dangerous to demolish so many affordable complexes and rebuild with so much higher end.

But the east side has a lot of promise.

Old 12-08-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
A good sign is that they are developing affordable housing in that area. I was shocked at all the Uber luxury complexes going up all across the city. It's dangerous to demolish so many affordable complexes and rebuild with so much higher end.

But the east side has a lot of promise.
What's considered affordable in EaDo?

Old 12-08-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Despite being closer to Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, and Corpus, the climate and terrain of Houston most closely resembles New Orleans, Mobile and even the Florida Panhandle. I'd say the Brazos River serves as the dividing line for these two regions.

Culturally, Houston is a cross between South Texas and South Louisiana, with many parallels to both. Tejano is commonly heard around town, but so is zydeco.

The Golden Triangle is really the only area which defies almost every typically Texan trait there is. There are still more Blacks than Mexicans there, and there are more French descendants than Germans.
I would add culture too.

Old 12-08-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I would add culture too.
Except it isn't really. Hispanic culture may have only recently became widespread in Houston, but it didn't just happen overnight. It was a gradual process, as there has always been some Spanish influence. Even fifty years ago, Houston was more Mexican than the eastern Gulf Coast.

I'd say the essence of Houston is equal parts Baton Rouge and San Antonio.

Old 12-08-2015, 11:58 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,821,457 times
Quote:

I don't always agree with your posts, often don't, but when I do I usually feel compelled enough to give rep. (cue dos equis commercial meme..)

Old 12-09-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Except it isn't really. Hispanic culture may have only recently became widespread in Houston, but it didn't just happen overnight. It was a gradual process, as there has always been some Spanish influence. Even fifty years ago, Houston was more Mexican than the eastern Gulf Coast.

I guess it's based on what I do or how I view the city. I feel that the city has a thick southern culture that I'm used to.

Houston's Hispanic culture reminds me of other parts of the South except Miami; Houston just has more Hispanics. I've heard on like 3 occasions from Hispanics (all Mexican) themselves that S.A. has the best Hispanic (Mexican) culture and restaurants in Texas.

To me, I definitely see more of a southern/Cajun/creole/Louisianan/Gulf Coast flair/culture here than a Hispanic one.

But hey, I gotta be careful not to share my experience because folks on here get real offended about this. Please don't bash me for my experience.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
I guess it's based on what I do or how I view the city. I feel that the city has a thick southern culture that I'm used to.

Houston's Hispanic culture reminds me of other parts of the South except Miami; Houston just has more Hispanics. I've heard on like 3 occasions from Hispanics (all Mexican) themselves that S.A. has the best Hispanic (Mexican) culture and restaurants in Texas.

To me, I definitely see more of a southern/Cajun/creole/Louisianan/Gulf Coast flair/culture here than a Hispanic one.

But hey, I gotta be careful not to share my experience because folks on here get real offended about this. Please don't bash me for my experience.
I'm not going to bash you, but I am going to suggest you get around Houston more. You can't simply overlook the fact that Hispanics are now the largest group in town. The only other major southern cities that can say the same are Dallas and Miami.

San Antonio definitely has better Tex-Mex, but I believe Houston has the edge on actual Mexican cuisine, especially in terms of variety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas