Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city will make the most dramatic Change in its core?
Dallas 57 24.36%
Houston 103 44.02%
Austin 48 20.51%
San Antonio 26 11.11%
Voters: 234. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 11:05 AM

25 posts, read 24,031 times

Advertisements

So Dallas' changes will look drastically different than Houstons in 2017? The numbers I posted prove that you are incorrect, and by a pretty wide margin. The building boom in Houston has completely changed the look and feel of East and South sides of downtown. Uptown has exploded as well as Midtown... What's confusing is that you state that progress doesn't mean buildings yet you continue to make that your criteria on the subject.

We could talk about Houston completely revitalizing it's CBD with three sports stadiums, a park that is the envy of the state and has caused a huge change and building boom. New rail lines, hotels, a beautiful redo of the George R. brown, millions put into the revitalization of Buffalo Bayo, a park system that is massive, etc, etc. and that's just the CBD.

Seeing that most here want a bustling and alive CBD, Houston is leaps and bounds above Dallas. I understand that you love your city, and I admire that, but let's at least agree that as of now, Houston has won the race.

Last edited by Powervoc; 02-28-2016 at 11:35 AM..

Old 02-28-2016, 05:32 PM

298 posts, read 413,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powervoc View Post
So Dallas' changes will look drastically different than Houstons in 2017? The numbers I posted prove that you are incorrect, and by a pretty wide margin. The building boom in Houston has completely changed the look and feel of East and South sides of downtown. Uptown has exploded as well as Midtown... What's confusing is that you state that progress doesn't mean buildings yet you continue to make that your criteria on the subject.

We could talk about Houston completely revitalizing it's CBD with three sports stadiums, a park that is the envy of the state and has caused a huge change and building boom. New rail lines, hotels, a beautiful redo of the George R. brown, millions put into the revitalization of Buffalo Bayo, a park system that is massive, etc, etc. and that's just the CBD.

Seeing that most here want a bustling and alive CBD, Houston is leaps and bounds above Dallas. I understand that you love your city, and I admire that, but let's at least agree that as of now, Houston has won the race.
I'll agree that Houston is doing better, but leaps and bounds? That's debateable.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:50 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,398,623 times
Quote:

Let me dumb this down a little

Technically....the cities in this poll are not directly in competition with each other. They are in competition with themselves.

Let me explain.

The contest should really be judged by comparing a 2012 picture of Dallas vs a 2017 picture of Dallas. ...not the other cities...

Each city should do that. ..and at the end you judge who's 2017 picture presented the most drastic change from their 2012 picture. ...

That would be the winner.

Example

Houston built alot of buildings downtown and it really changed alot as was said earlier......If New York built double the amount as Houston did it wouldn't change a thing.......and Houston would have the most drastic change out of the two....hands down...with only half the amout of buildings built compared to NY.
Same as if Ft.Worth built two 50 story skyscrapers. They would win this whole thing.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:02 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,801,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Let me dumb this down a little

Technically....the cities in this poll are not directly in competition with each other. They are in competition with themselves.

Let me explain.

The contest should really be judged by comparing a 2012 picture of Dallas vs a 2017 picture of Dallas. ...not the other cities...

Each city should do that. ..and at the end you judge who's 2017 picture presented the most drastic change from their 2012 picture. ...

That would be the winner.

Example

Houston built alot of buildings downtown and it really changed alot as was said earlier......If New York built double the amount as Houston did it wouldn't change a thing.......and Houston would have the most drastic change out of the two....hands down...with only half the amout of buildings built compared to NY.
Same as if Ft.Worth built two 50 story skyscrapers. They would win this whole thing.
Lol if Fort Worth built just one 50 story tower it should win the whole poll.

Old 02-29-2016, 01:39 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,808,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Lol if Fort Worth built just one 50 story tower it should win the whole poll.
That's the sad truth, right there.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:19 PM

No need to "dumb it down." Dallas has made some great progress over the last few years, but your poll states which has made more progress, and Houston has trumped Big D in that regard.
Secondly, your once again making skyscrapers your criteria when you mentioned earlier that that wasn't the only criteria, and for once I agree with you there. That's why I mentioned just a few things other than skyscrapers. Houston has been more progressive than Dallas in that regard (CBD) as well.

In the end you seem to be making assumptions about the visual effect between the two cities without having a clue as to the visual change Houston has made. Granted that Houstons amount of buildings surpasses Dallas in every regard, but without being here, your not really in a position to make that judgment.

Edit: I've not even made mention of the TMC, which if I'm not mistaken is right on downtown Dallas' heals I'm square footage.

Last edited by Powervoc; 03-01-2016 at 12:59 PM..

Old 03-01-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKAddict View Post
I'll agree that Houston is doing better, but leaps and bounds? That's debateable.
I would call an 11 million square foot difference "leaps and bounds." Not sure that's debatable.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:51 PM

298 posts, read 413,442 times
Quote:
I would call an 11 million square foot difference "leaps and bounds." Not sure that's debatable.
11 million square feet of what exactly? Office?

And yes, that statement is still debateable despite your vague fact. Dallas has added numerous amounts of residential unit and has become more vibrant. Downtown Dallas is no longer dead after 5pm or on the weekends. Please don't act like Dallas hasn't made incredible progress.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:53 PM

171 posts, read 216,906 times
Depends on whose progression you're referring to.....

Old 03-01-2016, 07:07 PM

11 posts, read 9,849 times
Default Uptown is new downtown of Dallas

Not from the consideration of height, but from what is most prime in real estate. The area around the Crescent is the most prime area in all of North Texas in retail, office space, hotels, and residential.

From the point of view of retail, central Houston isn't even urban. It is unplanned and bohemian. This means residents in central Houston are going to need a vehicle to get around. Just look at the retail on both sides of the Katy Trail alone? The West End Historic District, The Dallas Design District (300 stores), The Crescent, West Village, Turtle Creek Village, and Knox - Henderson. Shoot, I didn't even mention Victory Park which has suffered a lot. It is undergoing a $100,000,000 redevelopment.

From the point of view of what is most erect pertaining to tall (and probable empty) office space, i think Houston will always win this award.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas