Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 08:44 PM

52,569 posts, read 47,690,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
That looks disgusting and unhealthy
Unhealthy, maybe. But CFS certainly isn't disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 07:19 AM

39 posts, read 153,626 times
My favorite is Popo's in Welfare. I love watching the hummingbirds too.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:26 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,579,993 times
I wish I could remember the name of the place, but it was in Downtown Aransas Pass. I was visiting my grandpa one summer a few months before he died, and I went there for lunch. They had the best cucumber salad I've ever had anywhere, and I usually don't really like cucumber salad.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:52 AM

690 posts, read 2,622,619 times
This thread is making me very hungry. LOL!

I don't really know of any home cooking restaurants near me. Dang it. I wish I did! Oh, wait....there is one place near my job - Barbecue Inn on Crosstimbers in Houston - that makes a killer chicken fried steak. Oh, boy. They've been in the same location for years, and all the waitresses are these little old ladies that call you "sweetie" and "honey" and have worked there since the beginning of time. I almost forgot about them! Good chopped beef sandwiches too, and pretty good potato salad, and I don't really care for restaurant potato salad cause there's nothing like my momma's!

Old 09-14-2007, 10:46 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,270,411 times
Babe's Chicken which I haven't been to yet but everyone I know loves it. Best CFS I've had is at the Mecca in Dallas, not far actually from Mama's Daughter's Diner. Fred's BBQ in Irving has wonderful banana pudding! And the Nutt House in Granbury is supposed to be a good place. I got the recipe for their Buttermilk Pie and it is excellent! Everyone I make it for loves it! It's not too sickingly sweet and has a touch of real grated nutmeg, which makes the difference.

There is a Southern Grille just opened in Arlington near where I live that I'll have to check out.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:25 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,316,211 times
I love Luby's! I also love Wunsche Bros. in Old Town Spring, Goodson's Cafe in Tomball, and my Mother-in-Law's kitchen....

Old 09-15-2007, 07:56 AM

3,304 posts, read 5,730,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboybootnut View Post
Mary's Cafe in Strawn, Texas. Best and biggest chicken-fried steak in Texas.

We just happened in here rather late one evening for a "bite" to eat. I got the chicken fried steak and my friend ordered frog legs. When they brought this chicken fried steak out, I was shocked. Needless to say, I had plenty of "bites". I tried to get my friend to help me out with it, but he had his hands full with the frog legs. Really good food, enjoyed it very much.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:52 PM

52,569 posts, read 47,690,485 times
Hey, Midland, El Paso, Lubbock, how about you folks out there? Any favorites?

Old 09-16-2007, 04:15 PM

27 posts, read 88,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Okay, Texans, let's gather around the computer campfire for a little bit. What do you think is the best place to go in the state of Texas for home cooking? By that, I mean fried chicken, chicken-fried steak, meat loaf, pork chops, fresh veggies, comfort food. What is your favorite place to go? And it has to be in Texas. It might be the place where you live. Maybe you have a favorite place where you travel in Texas to get what I've mentioned.

I'd like to see what you guys have to say. Let 'er rip!

The Cotton Patch has some great TX down-home cooking that you should try. For those who live in Fort Worth, another must-try place is the Texas Grill.

I've also been to the Mama's Daughter's diner in Dallas and they were pretty good too. For the chain restaurants that serves these foods is Cracker Barrel, but I'm not sure if they started in TX.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:08 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,778,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Texan View Post
The Cotton Patch has some great TX down-home cooking that you should try. For those who live in Fort Worth, another must-try place is the Texas Grill.

I've also been to the Mama's Daughter's diner in Dallas and they were pretty good too. For the chain restaurants that serves these foods is Cracker Barrel, but I'm not sure if they started in TX.
The Cotton Patch in Midland is very good, yes.

Cracker Barrel is definitely in Texas, at several locations. Midland is supposed to get its first location come this November.

I will be going to EP for some shopping at some point, and I will try CB at that time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas