Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 09:28 PM

2 posts, read 6,847 times

Advertisements

Ok.. I'm new here. Just found this site tonight but HAD to pipe in.

I'm in Tyler, TX and we have a few really good places.

Sweet Sue's on Loop 323.

Loggins on Gentry Blvd (been around since the 50's) Only has lunch.

A place called The Shed in Edom, TX.

A friend HIGHLY recommended a place called Two Sisters in Canton, TX. They said it was the best home cooking they'd ever had and they're originally from Dallas (they both work there still).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 11:46 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,681,773 times
I don't really eat this type of food much anymore for health reasons, but I used to loooove me some Alfreda's Cafeteria on Almeda in the Third Ward/Museum District area. Very good and inexpensive, but you gotta get there early, before they run out of what you want... Texas Cafeteria on North Shepherd is another good one.... and the breakfast klub in Midtown... and This Is It on West Gray...

Old 12-01-2007, 05:03 AM

221 posts, read 600,314 times
Default Best "Homemade" Food

I have to say a little local place here outside of Canton. It's called "Sybil's Country Kitchen". Monday-Saturday....it's just a little small place just north of I-20 on Hwy. 64 (on the left). She has plate lunches every day and dessert, all for $5.50. It's always good and reminds me of my mom's cooking or even my own for that matter. The meatloaf and chicken fried steak are always good and her fried potatoes and onions are WONDERFUL!!!

Old 12-01-2007, 06:09 AM

52,687 posts, read 47,946,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
I don't really eat this type of food much anymore for health reasons, but I used to loooove me some Alfreda's Cafeteria on Almeda in the Third Ward/Museum District area. Very good and inexpensive, but you gotta get there early, before they run out of what you want... Texas Cafeteria on North Shepherd is another good one.... and the breakfast klub in Midtown... and This Is It on West Gray...
You can still have home cooking. It doesn't necessarily have to be deep-fried. There are lots of good veggies out there. Chicken can be grilled. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:27 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,681,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
You can still have home cooking. It doesn't necessarily have to be deep-fried. There are lots of good veggies out there. Chicken can be grilled. Nothing wrong with that.
True. I cook a modified version of many items at home. I'm just wary about eating it in restaurants.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:13 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,286,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
And you know what? We can still have our fried chicken but cooked healthier. You can use boneless, skinless thighs and dredge in seasoned flour and fry in a little bit of oil as usual or you can put it in the oven! Both are wonderful! Or do chicken breasts this way but cut them into tenders first.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittytoes2006 View Post
I have to say a little local place here outside of Canton. It's called "Sybil's Country Kitchen". Monday-Saturday....it's just a little small place just north of I-20 on Hwy. 64 (on the left). She has plate lunches every day and dessert, all for $5.50. It's always good and reminds me of my mom's cooking or even my own for that matter. The meatloaf and chicken fried steak are always good and her fried potatoes and onions are WONDERFUL!!!
Now, there you go! Fried potatoes and onions. It doesn't get any better than that. I'll have to check it out!

Old 12-12-2007, 02:39 PM

I have to revive this again.

Does anyone recall a place in the Granbury Town Square -- and I'm not sure if this place exists anymore -- where there was a place that had a home cooking cafeteria-style buffet and one of the offerings was grits and gravy? I've never seen that type of offering before, but I've had it and it's good, but I never thought you could have grits and gravy (I think it was a brown gravy). Anyone know the name of the place?

Last edited by case44; 12-12-2007 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: Adjustment

Old 12-12-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkaboutus View Post
Ok.. I'm new here. Just found this site tonight but HAD to pipe in.

I'm in Tyler, TX and we have a few really good places.

Sweet Sue's on Loop 323.

Loggins on Gentry Blvd (been around since the 50's) Only has lunch.

A place called The Shed in Edom, TX.

A friend HIGHLY recommended a place called Two Sisters in Canton, TX. They said it was the best home cooking they'd ever had and they're originally from Dallas (they both work there still).

My stars! Another place in Canton??! Uncle, uncle!

Old 12-12-2007, 02:45 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,872 times
Montana's They give you huge portion fairly cheap. Its a chain, I like it there is one in Granbury and Stephenville if i can remember correctly. Both cities are located southwest of Fort Worth.
The food is good, i like it... I mean as long as they please me...what do i care what everyone else thinks , but there i like always a crowd at the restaurants, especially during the night...i must not the only one to think its good :\
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas