Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 09:24 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times

Advertisements

I blame it on our ancestors who often had to get out of town fast.You know; like Darwin's theory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 01:41 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
The style of driving varies inside of Dallas. North Dallas, yes, everyone is in a flaming hurry and crawls up your tailpipe if you're not speeding like they are, but in Oak Cliff, things are much more relaxed. The freeways in the DFW area are all like the Indy 500 when they're not sclerotic during the ever-expanding and ironically named 'rush hour'.
Agreed, I know it's much more laid-back in Lakewood also.

Um so where are the natives and where are the transplants?

Old 05-16-2008, 04:56 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,686,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smguy101 View Post
ill tell you what, El paso is the complete opposite cuz retards drive 40-50 in the fast lane. It ticks me off!!! There are 4 other lanes of traffic and u had to choose the left lane to go 45? Every1 drives slow in El Paso!!!
Funny! Some people complain of fast drivers and some against slow ones. My theory is everyone driving faster than me is crazy, and everyone driving slower than me is a retard . Perhaps this is why surveys show about 70% of the people think they are "above average" drivers.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:18 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,286,773 times
ha ha!! I like your theory, calmdude, that's mine, too!

Old 05-17-2008, 07:12 PM

512 posts, read 861,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
It's all those transplants moving to Texas who bring their unfriendly driving skills -- look in the mirror, y'all.
While this was a cute and sweet jab at transplants (sorta like "Bless yer heart") I feel the need to correct you. Most states actually make their teenagers (or anyone else trying to aquire a license) take a drivers education course, one they can't take with only Momma or Daddy, and one the good officer sittin' in the pew behind them on Sunday mornings can't waiver them through. I can attest for taking a comprehensive course as a teenager, and now that I'm moving back home, I'll have to take another written test. If I miss more than three question, I'll fail and have to take it again, followed by a physical driving test. I took an online practice test the other day and missed one. I've never even come close to a fender bender, I can drive Dallas with ease, I'm an eagle-eye on the Interstate, which was a good thingbecause the other day a semi driving faster than the speed limit started to shred a tire and one of my Texan friends (I'm stating this so you can't come back saying she is also a transplant) sitting in the passenger seat asked me why I was backing away from passing the semi. I pointed out to her the tire, and within mintues the semi was swerving trying to handle himself. Had I passed like she would have without payng attention, I might not be here typing this.

Now, my neighbor's teenager didn't have to do anything. Her mom signed a form saying she would go over a book with her, which of course she didn't, then she hopped in the car with an officer and drove around one town block. She got her license and within six months totalled two cars, but had a total of four wrecks. She's not a transplant.

I have read many, many times people like you get on this messageboard to specifically dog someone for being a transplant, and for no other reason, and I'm sick of it. It's attitudes like yours that give Texas a bad name, and believe me, outside of your little world (yes, Texas is smaller than you think) people don't think so highly of asses like you dissing everyone else on God's Green Earth just because you have this envious hate inside you. There are many Texans I've come to like in my seven years of living here, but there are a few others who are small-mined hypocrits like you who don't even realize they are tadpoles in a mud puddle. Get a clue, put on your big girl/boy panties, and deal with it.

Good luck with your hate, because it will bite you in the ass when you least expect it. And when it does and you find yourself at the mercy of a transplant, do us all a favor and act like the kindhearted Texans some of us open-minded transplants have searched long and hard to find.

Oh, and one other helpful bit of advice, if your hate has come from experience with a transplant or two, follow my lead. I could just as easily hate all Texans because of a couple awful experiences I've had with locals, but I chose the high road and refused to lump all Texans into the physco bible thumping homicidal category. Try it some time. There are idiots in every State, country, continent. And there are also caring people who can only take so much hate just because of where they were born.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:10 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
As far as I know, unless they've changed the laws in the last 8 years (from when my youngest got her license), you do, indeed, have to take a course to get your license as a teenager in Texas. And pass a written test, and a driving test. And did when I got my license some 40-odd years ago, and when my 35 year old got his license when he was 16.

And, bitter, much?

Old 05-17-2008, 10:15 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,286,773 times
Wow. Well then. Most of us are speaking in generalities but if you can put the shoe on the other foot for a moment and understand the frustration because that's what it is, it's not hate. And it's not just Texas, it happens anywhere else in the world where there is a continuing and huge influx of outsiders to a particular place and consequently, changing what is near and dear, and not always for the best. Early on, the outspoken arrogant ones are the ones that stick in my mind. "Why do Texans do this or that?" "Why don't you do so and so, that's how we did it." "They sound funny, they say 'y'all!' "
Sometimes I think I'm in another state with all the non-Texan accents I hear. So many people moving in at once take away the flavor of our state. I worry it will become generic, nothing special anymore. Yes, there are some transplants who love or come to love the state and culture and they soon blend right in (except for their accents but if they embrace us, we'll embrace them!).

I don't see why we need to apologize for our feelings. Like I said, anyone in any state or country who loves their way of life and feels that it is being threatened will feel this way.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:01 AM

TexasHorseLady, have your life and the lives of your children physically threatened by a couple locals who were a lit match away from burning down your house becaue of their hate for tranplants, and believe me, bitter won't be the first dozen words that cross your mind. And, my neighbor's daughter took her "course" less than two years ago.

blueskies49, I hear what you're saying, and I've come across some transplants here who are like that. I don't need for any local to apologize for their feelings, but when I see myself generalized into a catagory that I've tried so hard not to fall into, in reminds me of the way a lot of people treated me when I first moved here. It's the reason I'm moving home, and I and my family were some of the ones who did our best to blend in, take hold of the Texas spirit, and make this place our home.

And yes, I felt hate in that posters message, which is why I responded to it. Why, came someone tell me why, does their have to be such hate in some of these messages? Do you think people don't reread what they type, or are they trolls and enjoy messing up a perfectly normally conversive thread? Either way, because of my Texas experience, I took it personally. I have done everything you people say you want transplants to do and I'm still hated.

Okay, maybe there is some bitterness, once I get past protecting my life and those of my family.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:04 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
What area do you live in, cleoT? Sounds like there was a lot more going on there than you being from elsewhere. (No, I'm not accusing you of anything, just wondering about the rest of the story.)

Old 05-18-2008, 07:09 AM

I should clarify. They'd already poured the gasoline, and my family (including visiting relatives) was asleep inside at the time. Thank God I'd already had a police report on them and the sheriffs were out making their rounds. They fled and weren't found out right away, but we later got one of them confessing on tape, and they are both gone now, but the lies and hate they spread about me resonate in the ears of some of those who won't even look my way today. And before you think this was white trash doing it, one of the neighbor's husband was a well respected man who worked for the city. We were friends, or so I thought. She was being kindly--Southern, she said once-- by day and vandalizing my house at night. The fire was the last thing she was able to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas