Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 07:14 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times

Advertisements

Again, where was this? And what's the rest of the story? They said this was strictly because you were transplants? Nothing else at all? No other justification (from their point of view) for their actions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 07:15 AM

512 posts, read 861,870 times
Oh, no THL, you're right. The woman is off balance, probably to this day. I believe she's bi-polar, and she had a pot smoking adiction. But it only started with her, a respectable local whose word meant a heck of a lot more than a transplant's. The past five years I have minded my Ps & Qs and tried, for the sake of my kids, to show the locals here that we are normal, okay people. I've had people tell me I'm going to Hell and other things, some of it probably going back to the trouble we had with these two women. But it all stems from us not being from here. More and more people are moving into the area, and I still hear of some bad things, but people around here are being forced to adjust to it. Still, I'm not the one who brought this progress problem on, yet it's been taken out on me, and that's the kind of hate I felt in that posters comments.

I won't say where I'm from because I'll live here for another short while. But when I move I'll say.

Old 05-18-2008, 11:46 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
As far as I know, unless they've changed the laws in the last 8 years (from when my youngest got her license), you do, indeed, have to take a course to get your license as a teenager in Texas. And pass a written test, and a driving test. And did when I got my license some 40-odd years ago, and when my 35 year old got his license when he was 16.

And, bitter, much?
If a child is under 18, he or she must take a driver's education course to obtain a license. The child must also obtain a learner's permit before getting a license.

My son got his driver's license 16 years ago and it was the first year kids did not have to sit by the DPS officer and drive with him. Yes, a written test was taken, but not a behind-the-wheel. I thought that was one of the most ignorant changes ever.

I hope they have done away with that decision of stupidity.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:22 PM

When my daughter got her license at 16 (8 years ago), she did, indeed, have to sit by the DPS officer and drive with him. (I know this for a fact as I took her to get her license and watched them leave and return.) The same was the case when my son got his license 20 years ago. So apparently there was a brief window of time when your son got his license when they didn't have to do that and, I agree (and I guess the legislature did, too, since evidently they changed it back) that it's a dumb idea.

Old 05-18-2008, 02:41 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,681,724 times
Driving in Texas I always feel like I'm on the "defense"...lol..I never felt that way in California. Since Cali is supposedly known for crazy drivers I thought it would be a piece of cake out here ....WRONG! After almost 9 years I still feel the same. I blame the freeway systems out here though too...they're not very efficient...and can be confusing to new people. I also find it odd that I can ask directions from someone who has lived here all their life and THEY have a hard time.

Old 05-18-2008, 02:49 PM

I also find it odd that I can ask directions from someone who has lived here all their life and THEY have a hard time.

That's because we're having to build freeways and roads as fast as we can to keep up with the influx and thus the directions can be different from the way they were last year, or even last week!

Plus, when I'm asked directions from someone new to the area, I have to think about the way they'd be most likely to want to go and not the way, myself, would go, using the back ways, because the latter directions would no doubt end up confusing them.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
When my daughter got her license at 16 (8 years ago), she did, indeed, have to sit by the DPS officer and drive with him. (I know this for a fact as I took her to get her license and watched them leave and return.) The same was the case when my son got his license 20 years ago. So apparently there was a brief window of time when your son got his license when they didn't have to do that and, I agree (and I guess the legislature did, too, since evidently they changed it back) that it's a dumb idea.
I'm going to ask the teens I know around here if in my county, they have to drive with a DPS officer in the car. I guess I could just call as now, I'm curious. My daughter got her license 19 years ago, and she had to, but not my son three years later. Interesting.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon94 View Post
Driving in Texas I always feel like I'm on the "defense"...lol..I never felt that way in California. Since Cali is supposedly known for crazy drivers I thought it would be a piece of cake out here ....WRONG! After almost 9 years I still feel the same. I blame the freeway systems out here though too...they're not very efficient...and can be confusing to new people. I also find it odd that I can ask directions from someone who has lived here all their life and THEY have a hard time.
I work with a lady who is absolutely hysterical when she describes how people explain directions to her. One absolutely has to be there to find it humorous. I nearly die laughing. My co-worker is what one calls a native Texan.

To give you an idea, it goes something like this.........Well, ya go down et hundred feet to a far hydrant. Then ya turn rot and look fer a purple bush. If you ain't passed the dead animal on the road, you know you haven't gone too fer. If you see that animal, turn 'round and find that bush. Go down fer another couple a blocks, find a what (white) picket fence, and yer thar.

I agree about these drivers in TX. CA drivers are way better and not nearly as aggressive.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:00 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
Hey, directions by landmark are my favorite Seriously! I can follow by street name of course, but I love having landmarks to aid me

I had to retake the driving test earlier this year because my Colorado license had expired by too many days and it didn't matter that I was a native Texan and had taken my original test in Texas. You couldn't miss more than 3 questions or you had to take it again and you did have to drive with a DPS Officer. This test encompassed way more than a block. I think it was almost 30 minutes. I had to parallel park, use proper turn signals, cross a busy intersection w/no stop light at it, do a proper 4 way stop and even answer some random questions about different situations while I was driving...all that fun stuff!

I'm pretty surprised by Cleo's experience. I am also so sorry to hear about it. I wish i knew what town it is. I'm having a hard time believing this happened in a very large town. I live in a small town near Austin and have never heard of anyone doing this to somebody around this area. Most people are very welcoming. I can imagine this may happen in a town kind of isolated from a larger city. When I lived in Brazoria there were people who could be this way regarding getting away with things because of who they were, but thankfully noone was off their rocker setting fire to peoples homes. Gotta love the sheeple who are afraid to side for right because they don't want to fall out of favor with the local IT crowd.

On the flip side, Texans have a bad rap for being ignorant, which is so far from the truth in the majority of cases. Anyone ever watch the game show "without prejudice"? Every time they had a contestant on who was from Texas, they got voted out almost right away because the panel labeled them backwoods and uneducated just from being there. I always got so mad about that. Glad that show is off the air now.

Last edited by love roses; 05-18-2008 at 07:08 PM..

Old 05-18-2008, 07:16 PM

I remember directions to a party once that included, "Turn right where the horse is standing in the corner of the field." And, yes, those were good directions, because that horse was always standing in that corner of that particular field.

Before the ranch down the road from me sold, I could tell folks to head east on the FM road and to turn left when they got to the zebras; if they got to the buffalo, they'd gone to far, and if they got to the wallabees, they'd really gone too far and to turn around and turn right at the zebras. I miss being able to say that - there was no way anyone was going to get lost going to my place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas