Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 06:59 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,046,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
Wow. Well then. Most of us are speaking in generalities but if you can put the shoe on the other foot for a moment and understand the frustration because that's what it is, it's not hate. And it's not just Texas, it happens anywhere else in the world where there is a continuing and huge influx of outsiders to a particular place and consequently, changing what is near and dear, and not always for the best. Early on, the outspoken arrogant ones are the ones that stick in my mind. "Why do Texans do this or that?" "Why don't you do so and so, that's how we did it." "They sound funny, they say 'y'all!' "
Sometimes I think I'm in another state with all the non-Texan accents I hear. So many people moving in at once take away the flavor of our state. I worry it will become generic, nothing special anymore. Yes, there are some transplants who love or come to love the state and culture and they soon blend right in (except for their accents but if they embrace us, we'll embrace them!).

I don't see why we need to apologize for our feelings. Like I said, anyone in any state or country who loves their way of life and feels that it is being threatened will feel this way.
this is something i could have written 25 years ago .... when i still lived in houston.... and if message boards existed......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleoT View Post
I should clarify. They'd already poured the gasoline, and my family (including visiting relatives) was asleep inside at the time. Thank God I'd already had a police report on them and the sheriffs were out making their rounds. They fled and weren't found out right away, but we later got one of them confessing on tape, and they are both gone now, but the lies and hate they spread about me resonate in the ears of some of those who won't even look my way today. And before you think this was white trash doing it, one of the neighbor's husband was a well respected man who worked for the city. We were friends, or so I thought. She was being kindly--Southern, she said once-- by day and vandalizing my house at night. The fire was the last thing she was able to do.

oh my god!!!!!

as a "native" i can remember feeling that my "home" was being over run... but i still made friends with many transplants from the northeast and rust belt areas (anybody remember the bumper sticker that asked the last person out of michigan to please turn out the lights) .... and in fact wound up with a terrific godson from some of my transplant friends.....

Old 05-25-2008, 07:21 PM

back to topic....

in 1975-76 ... at 15 we were eligible to take a driver's ed course and then get a learner's permit upon passing the written exam..... at 16 we were eligible to take the driving portion of the test ..... with a dps trooper.... and if we passed THAT we could get our driver's license..... i would hope that if any of this WAS waived, then it was reinstated very quickly.....

upon moving to missouri in 1986, i had to pass the written test to get my license....which i failed by ONE question the first time i took it because there were a NUMBER of questions about how to park your car on a hill.... uphill and downhill .... HELLO.... i grew up in HOUSTON..... what's a HILL??

and after 22 years, i still remember my texas driver's license number.... wonder if THAT will help when i do come back.....

after having learned to drive in houston, the ONLY city that has ever made me nervous was boston.... THOSE people were insane ..... i was only there for about 48 hours, but remember how TERRIFIED i was in the backseat of the various taxi cabs i was in....

Old 05-25-2008, 08:11 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,434,410 times
Well, not in Hill County from what I'm told. I'll call them on Tuesday if I don't forget and clarify the specifics. The teen to whom I spoke just got her driver's license about 6 weeks ago. I think she would remember driving with an officer if she, in fact, did so.

Well, the site that was linked to by someone else that I was referring to that specifies that passing a driving test as well as a written test is required was the Texas DPS site stating what is required in order to get your license under varying circumstances. So I suspect, if I have to choose between what is told to me by a teenager (no disrespect to teenagers intended) or the DPS, I'm probably going to go with the DPS in an instance like this. Your mileage may vary.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:29 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Well, not in Hill County from what I'm told. I'll call them on Tuesday if I don't forget and clarify the specifics. The teen to whom I spoke just got her driver's license about 6 weeks ago. I think she would remember driving with an officer if she, in fact, did so.

Well, the site that was linked to by someone else that I was referring to that specifies that passing a driving test as well as a written test is required was the Texas DPS site stating what is required in order to get your license under varying circumstances. So I suspect, if I have to choose between what is told to me by a teenager (no disrespect to teenagers intended) or the DPS, I'm probably going to go with the DPS in an instance like this. Your mileage may vary.
Yes, I saw the site and to what you're referring. That is why I'm going to call the DPS to find out for sure even though I doubt the little teen could be that forgetful. Who knows though as they can be quite spacey at times. If they do have to ride with the DPS officer, I'm wanting to know when it was changed back because as I stated before, my son was 16 in 1992 and that was the first year where a behind the wheel test was not given.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:52 PM

Well, my daughter got her license in 2000 and, as I said, she did have to take the driving test with the nice officer. So there's a clue for you.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Well, my daughter got her license in 2000 and, as I said, she did have to take the driving test with the nice officer. So there's a clue for you.
No clues needed. I'll just talk to the ones who will know.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
No clues needed. I'll just talk to the ones who will know.
Well, I haven't forgotten about this thread, but I have not yet called the DPS office in my county. Hopefully, I will be able to do so next week. I did talk to another 16 year old who just got her license last week. She also said it isn't mandatory for one to ride with a DPS officer for a behind-the-wheel test, and she didn't because of the choice her dad made.....that he didn't want her to do so.

I will find out specifics soon.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:16 AM

So who judges the behind the wheel test? Surely not the parent! I'm all for homeschooling, and sometimes (not usually, but sometimes) a parent can be the best driving teacher for a particular teenager, but an objective, trained third party should be the one giving and grading the driving test. For all our sakes.

Okay, just found out what's going on. Apparently the PARENT can waive the behind the wheel test (http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/driver_licensing_control/parenttaught.htm - broken link) - that has GOT to be changed.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:48 AM

512 posts, read 862,381 times
I completely agree with you, TexasHorseLady, on all comments you jsut made. Sometimes the parent can be the best driving teacher, and homeschooling can be great, if the parent/organization is well-structered. But this very topic is why I cringe every time my neighbor's daughter gets behind the wheel. I wonder how that waiver got there in the first place, and how can a concerned citizen (or parent, for that matter) go about getting it taken out.

OTOH, some kids who've driven on their family ranches ever since they could run are sometimes better drivers than adults. No matter where I live, when my kids get a little older I'll introduce them to the drivers seat on private proterty. I think, if kids have a respect for motor vehicles early enough, and the mechanics of the gas, brake, etc. are behind them, they can focus better on the drivers course, which I'll make them take. I consider myself a damn good driver (I've never had a wreck or even come close, and yes I'm knocking on wood right now ) but I would feel better with them learning from a professional.

Good twist to this topic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas