Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 08:51 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,463,330 times

Advertisements

Oh, sure, kids can drive on the ranch when they're much younger (mine did), but they should still have to take the driving test with the DPS officer before they get turned loose on the roads. Everyone should.

Don't know how w3e can get that changed, don't know the history behind the waiver being there, but if I can find out (google is your friend!), I'll bring it back here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 12:03 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,291,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
So who judges the behind the wheel test? Surely not the parent! I'm all for homeschooling, and sometimes (not usually, but sometimes) a parent can be the best driving teacher for a particular teenager, but an objective, trained third party should be the one giving and grading the driving test. For all our sakes.

Okay, just found out what's going on. Apparently the PARENT can waive the behind the wheel test (http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/driver_licensing_control/parenttaught.htm - broken link) - that has GOT to be changed.
I knew the kids I was asking weren't getting confused or making it up. Good, now I don't have to call and find out what I truly already believed.

I agree it must change, but it may not. It's been like this since 1992 only then, I wasn't given the option of wanted a DPS officer to ride with my son.

Mine did not drive anywhere until they had their permits and a licensed driver was with them. It was against the law to do so, and I didn't see it necessary even though, "But mom, all our friends are driving on their property."

It just went along with, "But mom, all of our friends have a Nintendo and a VCR and get to watch rented movies." And the list goes on.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:08 PM

It's evidently changed back and forth, because my daughter didn't have the option - she HAD to have the driving test, and she got her license after 1992. Of course, it wasn't her parent teaching her, it was a professional driving school. That is completely backwards, in my opinion, if you're going to let anyone opt out, it should be the one who took the professional driving course, not someone whose parent just can't wait to not have to drive them places any longer and will do ANYTHING to make that happen!

Old 06-01-2008, 01:16 PM

512 posts, read 862,969 times
I wonder...you say your daughter took a course from a professional driving school. Do you think, in the forms you probably had to sign, you gave up the right to waiver? That way they fullfill any legal insurance obligations? This way, if they prove that they handed the gavel (your child's learned ability) to a DPS officer, who then passed her, if she had a bad wreck or killed someone (not at all saying this would happen, just giving a worst case senario) they wouldn't by in any way obligated??? I have no clue, I'm so not a lawyer, but I do know how much businesses and professionals have to cover their behinds thoroughly these days, and that would makes sense as to why your daughter didn't have the option.

Okay, it may be silly, but I'm stretching my brain on a Sunday.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:10 PM

Well, I don't remember anything like that (and I used to be a legal assistant, which means I'm programmed to read anything I sign, even boilerplate!), but it's long enough ago that I suppose that's possible. It would also make sense from a CYA basis on the part of the driving school.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,534 times
its amazing in Dallas the slow lane is empty! the fast lane has people doing 60 and will NOT get out of the way. people doing that in california have gotten shot over the years. its rude to not move even if youre doing the speed limit move over so people can speed by you. you do not own the F**ing road! DPS does not give tickets to people impeding the flow of traffic, in california if you are holding up 5 cars you get a ticket. move out of the way if youre doing the same speed as everyone else, why not ride in the same lane as them if youre not passing. then we got 3 people blocking all lanes of traffic 3 cars riding side-by-side blocking everyone. who the F does that? who are those people? this is in Dallas where they do not know how to drive

Old 04-15-2010, 11:11 AM

340 posts, read 646,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeLaura View Post
Don't come to a stop on the onramp. Go when the light turns green. You're not getting an engraved invitation to merge, so just do it.
Thank you for instilling that in people. Even though there are places (Denton and Boerne to name a few) where on ramps and accelleration lanes are VERY short and slalom-like, you have to just GO. If you look up the traffic code, you will see that *if needed*, the shoulder is there for you to drive on:
§545.058 - DRIVING ON IMPROVED SHOULDER
(a) An operator may drive on an improved shoulder to the right of the main traveled portion of a roadway if that operation is necessary and may be done safely, but only:
(1) to stop, stand, or park;
(2) to accelerate before entering the main traveled lane of traffic;
(3) to decelerate before making a right turn;
(4) to pass another vehicle that is slowing or stopped on the main traveled portion of the highway, disabled, or preparing to make a left turn;
(5) to allow another vehicle traveling faster to pass;
(6) as permitted or required by an official traffic control device; or
(7) to avoid a collision

Old 02-08-2015, 06:18 AM

1 posts, read 767 times
I live in Houston, Texas and I have to say, people here drive insane. I lived in florida 25 years and the 6 months I've been here in Texas I've never seen so many careless drivers. In fact on my 2nd month of being here an idiot ran into my car and wrecked it. I've had this car for 10 years in florida, not a single scratch, I come to Texas and it gets wrecked. Smh. People here are so rude and careless, they seem not to value their life much less of another individual. Come on Texans be more careful or take a driving course! !! And the roads here....... smh...... are a disaster.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:19 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,505,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon94 View Post
Driving in Texas I always feel like I'm on the "defense"...lol..I never felt that way in California. Since Cali is supposedly known for crazy drivers I thought it would be a piece of cake out here ....WRONG! After almost 9 years I still feel the same. I blame the freeway systems out here though too...they're not very efficient...and can be confusing to new people. I also find it odd that I can ask directions from someone who has lived here all their life and THEY have a hard time.
Same here, at least in bigger places like Dallas and Austin.

Moving from the Bay Area to Midland, I found the drivers to be significantly tamer than what I'm used to. Though Midland drivers have gotten considerably worse later this year due to the influx of transplants because of the oil boom. The stereotypical "friendly" Texas drivers are only found in small town and small cities like these.

And when I went to Dallas, it's worse than what I've ever seen in California and is more comparable to East Coast driving. Aside from the speed limit and tailgating, Californian drivers at least tend to be pretty respectful of the laws of the road, be it signage, slow drivers keeping to the right, etc. In the 2 months I've been in DFW, I've lost count how many times people have passed me on the right shoulder when all I was doing was keeping a 2 second gap to the car in front of me, something that has NEVER happened to me in the 15+ years I've driven this way in California.

And don't even get me started about people violating those frontage road yields and the signs not to cross the double white lines.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:32 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,214,410 times
never been to texas so i cant compare, but i have driven in the northeast, including NYC. for the most part drivers there seem to follow the rules, seem to go with the flow, zipper merge, people are used to congestion and traffic, and since theres so many pedestrians, drivers have to be patient to avoid hitting pedestrians in the cities.. could be there is huge state police presence on the highways, agressive drivers will rack up tickets easily.. Also because of all the congestion all the time, a lot more drivers are defensive drivers rather than aggressive who try to weave in and out and cut every car they can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas