Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 07:07 PM

355 posts, read 2,704,971 times

Advertisements

I recently took a trip to Dallas , Texas and noticed that everyone was driving like a "Bat out of Hell". I was wondering how fast people in Dallas normally drive in terms of speed . Do people drive fast everywhere in Texas ? Or just in houston and dallas ? Also how fast do people in houston usually drive in terms of speed? In other cities ? Also I have heard that in Texas , if you don't drive fast , you will end up getting ran over or hit from the rear . Is this true ? Has it ever happened to you ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 08:08 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,726,955 times
Yeah we drive fast here. But I notice people have much worse of a "flow" problem in Dallas than here, my opinion anyway. Also in Dallas it's more common to see someone weaving over 4 lanes to exit. We still have our problems, though, just not as pronounced.

I've taken road trips to Chicago and the California west coast, and coming back it felt quite slow. For Houston, you can look on Houston TranStar Real-Time Traffic Map and pick a freeway section. During light traffic, you'll see the avg speed is about 65-70, or about 5-10 over the speed limit. Most people are going this speed. Every so often you'll have your boy racer or other idiot weaving through traffic going 75-85. Then you have grandpa going 50 in the center lane.

I've never heard of anyone deliberately hitting you. People will generally go around you and cut you off short. At least it's not Atlanta, where you'll get hooted at and get a beer bottle thrown at your car.

I've always found it's easiest and fastest on the average to just ride the left lane with the flow. If people want to go around, let them. Most will not be able to get too far ahead of you over the long haul.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:16 PM

415 posts, read 1,719,736 times
People in Dallas drive fast. Depends on the driver and the road as to how fast. Ft. Worth is 'slower'. But I've driven a lot of places, and Dallas is not the worst.

You do not *have* to drive above the speed limit to avoid getting hit, but don't be a moron, either. Let people pass you and don't go under the speed limit. You won't get 'run over' or rear ended, but you might get honked at. Especially if you park it in the fast lane.

The thing I see that causes the most road rage is someone who just won't get out of the way. You will not teach anyone a lesson or prove a point or do anything but **** someone off if you go 5 under in the left lane.

Don't come to a stop on the onramp. Go when the light turns green. You're not getting an engraved invitation to merge, so just do it. Oh, and there's no need to sneak up on turns. If your brakes don't work, get 'em fixed.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:37 PM

791 posts, read 2,224,681 times
Lead, follow or get out of the way.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Yeah we drive fast here. But I notice people have much worse of a "flow" problem in Dallas than here, my opinion anyway. Also in Dallas it's more common to see someone weaving over 4 lanes to exit. We still have our problems, though, just not as pronounced.

I've taken road trips to Chicago and the California west coast, and coming back it felt quite slow. For Houston, you can look on Houston TranStar Real-Time Traffic Map and pick a freeway section. During light traffic, you'll see the avg speed is about 65-70, or about 5-10 over the speed limit. Most people are going this speed. Every so often you'll have your boy racer or other idiot weaving through traffic going 75-85. Then you have grandpa going 50 in the center lane.

I've never heard of anyone deliberately hitting you. People will generally go around you and cut you off short. At least it's not Atlanta, where you'll get hooted at and get a beer bottle thrown at your car.

I've always found it's easiest and fastest on the average to just ride the left lane with the flow. If people want to go around, let them. Most will not be able to get too far ahead of you over the long haul.

Thanks for the link! It really helped .

Last edited by Nashcash23; 09-08-2007 at 09:50 PM..

Old 09-08-2007, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys View Post
Lead, follow or get out of the way.

LOL. Which one of those three do you do ? Lead , follow , or get out of the way ?

Old 09-08-2007, 10:27 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,726,955 times
I usually lead and follow down the left lane. I almost never pass on the right unless there's an idiot going 50 in the fast lane. My commute is 30 miles one way and this is the fastest, most consistent way to go.

At least in Texas, unlike California, we have an emergency pullover lane on the left side. So I can at least go fast and move out of the way if something bad happens. I have rarely seen anyone use the emergency lane to pass.

But comparing Houston & DFW to other big cities in the US in terms of driving, I think we are pretty middle-of-the road.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:55 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,721,321 times
Dallas is tame compared to the DC area. My only complaint is really that most people don't use a turn signal.

For those of you that don't, it's selfish not to have the common courtesy to let those behind you know why you are slowing down, or those beside you that you are coming over.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:34 AM

449 posts, read 1,700,390 times
I'm north of Dallas now and lived other places. Even on the regular streets I've never seen such risk taking manuevering - people making a left turn from the right lane - almost hitting the car ahead of us and us. A car changing lanes 4 times in a block to pass cars with a red light ahead.

I-35 I usually stick to the right or middle lanes. And much as I'd like to, I'm not going to jump in front of a tractor trailer going 70 in the right lane or cars that refuse to/or can't shift lanes when passing an on ramp with traffic waiting.
What I hate are the tailgaters that ride your bumper when there's nothing to stop them from passing or people going 20 mph under the limit when you can't pass them.

It's always an adventure here, I've learned to have quick reflexes and to always be on alert when driving.

Old 09-09-2007, 04:37 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,391,839 times
Texas is the only place I have seen where folks are so friendly that they will pull over to the side and wave you to pass, on two lane highways....If they are taking Sunday drives and see that you are wanting to go faster, they just pull over. That simple, with a cowboy wave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas